Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Strange symptons, what does this mean? Watch

ReputationRep:
    hi one of my closest friends...and YES it is my friend im not just making it up for myself...
    i dont think she's actually bulimic but she does tend to sometimes make herself throw up...
    it has decreased recently though
    it was more frequent before.. this has been going on for about 2years

anyways now she has srange symptons lile :-
    • join pain
      tiredness
      slow heart rate
      muscle weakness
      depression (Although i dont think she's actually depressed...she says she is)

also she says she's gained weight again...

please help
    what do these symptons mean?

thank you
    ps. shes 16

ReputationRep:
    I think a doctor would be much more qualified to tell. Those symptoms look pretty serious and may be due to more than bulimia or even depression. Advise your friend to see a doctor asap.

ReputationRep:
    It means your friend goes to their GP to seek professional medical assistance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Cookie)
    I think a doctor would be much more qualified to tell. Those symptoms look pretty serious and may be due to more than bulimia or even depression. Advise your friend to see a doctor asap.
    yes thats what i said to her, but do you or anyone know what it might be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by memyselfandi93)
    The GP will know. I really don't understand why your asking on an internet forum?!?!

ReputationRep:
    I'll bet the doctor himself would find it challeging to just *guess* the problem by the symptoms. That's why the best thing to do it to actually see a doctor in person, get tests and other stuff like that. It's not as easy as match the symptom to the cause.

ReputationRep:
    Well for starters she isn't getting the propper nutrition she needs. Food isn't just to stop you getting hungry! She should go to her GP who may refer her for tests which will help identify the problem. It could get serious if she doesn't.

Get her thyroid tested

ReputationRep:
    sounds to me anorexia (slow heart rate)

ReputationRep:
    hi one of my closest friends...and YES it is my friend im not just making it up for myself...
    i dont think she's actually bulimic but she does tend to sometimes make herself throw up...
    it has decreased recently though
    it was more frequent before.. this has been going on for about 2years

anyways now she has srange symptons lile :-
    • join pain
      tiredness
      slow heart rate
      muscle weakness
      depression (Although i dont think she's actually depressed...she says she is)

also she says she's gained weight again...

please help
    what do these symptons mean?

thank you
    ps. shes 16
    Maybe she's just got really fat.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like side effects of her eating disorder to me. She needs to go to a GP and get herself checked out ASAP.
    Have you offered to go with her for moral support?

ReputationRep:
    I have M.E./ CFS and I have all of these symptoms. Without knowing more about her and her history etc it's difficult to speculate.
    Also, that's all it is, speculation - she really needs to visit the doctor.
    It could be to do with her thyroid, lack of nutrition/ vitamin deficiencies etc - she would probably be given a general blood test to see what's going on.
    If that doesn't come back with anything then there would be further diagnostic tests.

shes just going through the teenage emo 'oh im so depressed, lets develop an eating disorder phase'
    she'll snap out of it soon enough...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    It sounds like side effects of her eating disorder to me. She needs to go to a GP and get herself checked out ASAP.
    Have you offered to go with her for moral support?
    yeah i offered but icant walk cos i just had surgery lol
    it sucks id love to go with her

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, those are pretty general symptoms and can apply to a lot of conditions. I suffer from all of them [minus the depression and putting on weight] and no doctor has yet managed to diagnose me.
    If she's had some form of eating issues in the past [be it an actual disorder or just the beginning of one] it'd definitely be worth her getting checked out in case it is something obvious, or serious. It could also just be stress, or 'her age' - I hate that suggestion, but it's what one of my doctors told me...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.