Turn on thread page Beta

Don't understand financial notification... watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I got my letter through the post today, telling me what I'll be entitled to if/when I get into university, I really don't understand! Please can someone help?

Tuition Fees - £3225 and I need to pay that back, that's the easy one!

Maintenance Loan
    Basic Loan (non-income assessed) - £3564
    Plus loan subject to income assessment - £1386
    Less loan substituted for grant - £1430
    Less assessed contribution for grant - £0
    Maximum loan available/requested/to be paid - £3520

Supplementary Grants - £2861

I am a bit confused, how much will I get and of that what is 'free money' and what is a loan to be paid back? Will this amount be re-assessed for 2nd year etc...?

Thank youuuu!

ReputationRep:
    Excluding tuition fees, you'll get £3520 + £2861. £3520 is loan and has to be paid back and £2861 is grant money so is 'free'.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that's great. I wish it was written like that on the form! Will that be annually? Also, will it be paid incrementally or in bulk?

ReputationRep:
    no worries. i think it is annually but it gets reviewed every year? and i'm not sure on this one either but i think it's in increments.

ReputationRep:
    The tuition fee you won't even see, that goes straight to your uni. you get £3520 as a maintenence loan which you have to pay back and £2861 as a grant which is free.

Right thats just for this year, you will get it in three installments. Next year you will have to fill in another form and provide evidence and you will get assessed again =] Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Cool, thank you. I'll see if I can get more info on that from them. What are the £1386 and £1430 mentioned within the maintenance loan? I understand that the amount of maintenance grant and amount of maintenance loan are related, is it to do with that?

ReputationRep:
    The £1386 is the means tested part of the loan, and the £1430 is the amount of loan that is substituted for grant....you get the same amount, but pay £1430 less back.

That make sense?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.