Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have a friend who did a NVQ in hairdressing in 2005 who wants to do one of the courses in the title.

Could she apply to those courses or does she have to do an access course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bateman)
    Hi

I have a friend who did a NVQ in hairdressing in 2005 who wants to do one of the courses in the title.

Hi,

ODP is a diploma course at the moment so she may be accepted onto the course with 5 GCSE grades A-C(inc. maths and English).

Nursing is both diploma and degree at the moment, some unis only offer degree courses now, so if she wants to apply for the diploma she will need to check UCAS to see which unis offer it.

Midwifery is now a degree only course and she will need an access course in order to be accepted.

However, it's worth her considering doing the access course regardless if she hasn't studied since 2005 (some unis stipulate that you must have evidence of recent study, e.g. within 3 years), also all of these courses include a lot of science which an access course will prepare her for. Also, all are very oversubscribed courses and applying with very basic qualifications may put her at a disadvantage as numerous other applicants will have access courses/A levels.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_green)
    Hi,

ODP is a diploma course at the moment so she may be accepted onto the course with 5 GCSE grades A-C(inc. maths and English).

Nursing is both diploma and degree at the moment, some unis only offer degree courses now, so if she wants to apply for the diploma she will need to check UCAS to see which unis offer it.

Midwifery is now a degree only course and she will need an access course in order to be accepted.

However, it's worth her considering doing the access course regardless if she hasn't studied since 2005 (some unis stipulate that you must have evidence of recent study, e.g. within 3 years), also all of these courses include a lot of science which an access course will prepare her for. Also, all are very oversubscribed courses and applying with very basic qualifications may put her at a disadvantage as numerous other applicants will have access courses/A levels.

Hope that helps.
    she doesn't have any gcses because she came here about 6 years ago.

so just to clarify, some unis offer nursing as a diploma and so she can do it without an access course, and that she can go for the odp without an access course? thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Acsess to nursing courses are the best bet here, gives you a good grounding for those courses (can go into anything, healthcare related) and entry requirements for the degree, its best she contacts her local college/university

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Hope that helps.
    the nursing diploma takes GCSE'S but they like evidence of furthur study in the last 2 years, thats what notts ask for..PLUS, the diploma is being phased out, by 2010/2011, so it IS worth going for the degree now

ReputationRep:
    she doesn't have any gcses because she came here about 6 years ago.

so just to clarify, some unis offer nursing as a diploma and so she can do it without an access course, and that she can go for the odp without an access course? thanks.
    If she has no GCSE's or equivalents from where she is from (check with chosen unis what international quals they will accept) then her best bet, like Subcutaneous said, is to do an access course - otherwise studying at a higher level will probably be a massive jump for her, and as I mentioned, an access course will make it easier for her to get accepted by a university even if she applies for a diploma and doesn't technically 'need' it.

ReputationRep:
    Unless she has a full level 3 qualification, she would have to do either a level 3 BTEC or A levels, or an access course. Access courses are best because they teach you what is necessary and it only lasts a year.

All 3 are taught in higher education institutes. You can only do Midwifery to degree level, but Nursing and ODP can be done as a degree or a diploma. I would advise that anyone who wants to study Nursing should do it to degree level. I went to a uni open day last month and apparently they will only be teaching the degree course from 2011 onwards, so that means that eventually everyone who has a diploma in Nursing will have to top it up to degree level in the future

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gez_09*)
    Unless she has a full level 3 qualification, she would have to do either a level 3 BTEC or A levels, or an access course. Access courses are best because they teach you what is necessary and it only lasts a year.

All 3 are taught in higher education institutes. You can only do Midwifery to degree level, but Nursing and ODP can be done as a degree or a diploma. I would advise that anyone who wants to study Nursing should do it to degree level. I went to a uni open day last month and apparently they will only be teaching the degree course from 2011 onwards, so that means that eventually everyone who has a diploma in Nursing will have to top it up to degree level in the future

not true, those qualifying with diplomas now will not be expected too, they don't have too but it will help to advance (however you can do a masters with a good pass at diploma)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    not true, those qualifying with diplomas now will not be expected too, they don't have too but it will help to advance (however you can do a masters with a good pass at diploma)
    Well obv it won't be forced on them, but having a degree in it helps people progress further

ReputationRep:
    Well obv it won't be forced on them, but having a degree in it helps people progress further

not necessarily

ReputationRep:
    If she has no GCSE's or equivalents from where she is from (check with chosen unis what international quals they will accept) then her best bet, like Subcutaneous said, is to do an access course - otherwise studying at a higher level will probably be a massive jump for her, and as I mentioned, an access course will make it easier for her to get accepted by a university even if she applies for a diploma and doesn't technically 'need' it.

well she has a diploma from Iran although that was a while ago.

ReputationRep:
    so to clarify, to do a diploma she doesn't need an access course, but to do a degree, she does?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, given her particular circumstances, where her most recent qual is 2005, and no recent, relevant qualifications, I would think she would most probably need to do an access course whether she wants to do a diploma or degree.

She needs to look at the ucas website and then directly contact her chosen unis admissions officer who will advise her on what to do.

ReputationRep:

gez_09 in one way you are right.I will be one of the many nursing applicants who will be applying via UCAS for the diploma for 2010 entry and from 2011 all nursing courses will be degree only so if applicants like myself qualify in three years time with a diploma and RGN status then at some particular point in their nursing careers they will have to do a post registration top up degree course.:yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZakBrannigan)
    gez_09 in one way you are right.I will be one of the many nursing applicants who will be applying via UCAS for the diploma for 2010 entry and from 2011 all nursing courses will be degree only so if applicants like myself qualify in three years time with a diploma and RGN status then at some particular point in their nursing careers they will have to do a post registration top up degree course.:yes:
    Thanks for the recognition lol, lots of people on here are quick to tell you how wrong your post its.

I think it should be enough to have a diploma because it's the same as a degree, and doesn't make you any less clever. I've been set on doing nursing for years and years, but recently I've changed my mind; I couldn't do it. I admire people like you who can

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the recognition lol, lots of people on here are quick to tell you how wrong your post its.

I think it should be enough to have a diploma because it's the same as a degree, and doesn't make you any less clever. I've been set on doing nursing for years and years, but recently I've changed my mind; I couldn't do it. I admire people like you who can
    awww thanks gez_09 i appreciate that comment :yes: .I have always been interested in doing a career whereby in some kind of way i would be making a difference to peoples lives Mental Health nursing just kind of fits in that role.I thinking of applying for a mixture of degree/diploma courses but not sure yet.I have to make up my mind soon though because UCAS opens in Early September for sending 2010 applications to universities even though you been able to start filling in your UCAS forms since late June 2009

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.