Turn on thread page Beta

Had a joint for first time in ages, I normally suffer from depression but feel normal watch

Or just about. Basically I have suffered from low self esteem entire life but now im 26 its gotten terrible I have had no proper girlfriends in my life 1 girlfriend really but she was more a sex buddy as she acted about half her age and never stayed over after sex, 2nd was a girl I met just before I moved 200 miles away and she kept on saying for about 8 months afterwards she was my girlfriend then visited me one day(both planned) then said it was over! we never even had sex or were intimate in any way apart froma sleeping in my bed once cuddling.

I have been bad for 5 years after a death in family and I gained loads of weight and diet got worse, i.e takeaways often(but not pigging out just eating fatty foods)

I just had a joint and it has normalised my depression up to the level it was around the time I lost family member i.e my motor skills are lower but my actual happiness has increased and I want to do things but just a tiny bit dizzy be it from the drugs or because I am relaxed etc.

Anyway does this sound normal?

ReputationRep:
    http://kevinrobinson.files.wordpress.../epic_fail.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Im not joking here but when you said joint (in the thread title) I actually thought you were talking about Sunday dinner!

ReputationRep:
    If you smoke it alot it might make the depression worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voudreau)
    Im not joking here but when you said joint (in the thread title) I actually thought you were talking about Sunday dinner!

:toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about it, i don't know how helpful this would be, but have you tried ecstacy? Maybe that'll kickstart your happiness again.

I've always wondered whether it would help people suffering from depression.

(Original post by George231086)
    If you smoke it alot it might make the depression worse.
    No I am not a big smoker my friend makes tiny joints around the same size or slightly smaller than a regular roll up with no cannabis and we shared 2 between us so no more than 1 each.

And the last time I smoked it was arounc October 2008 where I had a few puffs of stuff so strong I couldnt inhale.

ReputationRep:
    Drugs can help short term long term however it's possible it'll just make your depression worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    No I am not a big smoker my friend makes tiny joints around the same size or slightly smaller than a regular roll up with no cannabis and we shared 2 between us so no more than 1 each.

And the last time I smoked it was arounc October 2008 where I had a few puffs of stuff so strong I couldnt inhale.
    That shouldn't be a problem then.

ReputationRep:
    Or just about. Basically I have suffered from low self esteem entire life but now im 26 its gotten terrible I have had no proper girlfriends in my life 1 girlfriend really but she was more a sex buddy as she acted about half her age and never stayed over after sex, 2nd was a girl I met just before I moved 200 miles away and she kept on saying for about 8 months afterwards she was my girlfriend then visited me one day(both planned) then said it was over! we never even had sex or were intimate in any way apart froma sleeping in my bed once cuddling.

I have been bad for 5 years after a death in family and I gained loads of weight and diet got worse, i.e takeaways often(but not pigging out just eating fatty foods)

I just had a joint and it has normalised my depression up to the level it was around the time I lost family member i.e my motor skills are lower but my actual happiness has increased and I want to do things but just a tiny bit dizzy be it from the drugs or because I am relaxed etc.

Mate do some research on the internet cannabis is legal for medicinal purposes in California and plenty of people there use it to treat depression.
    :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Thinking about it, i don't know how helpful this would be, but have you tried ecstacy? Maybe that'll kickstart your happiness again.

I've always wondered whether it would help people suffering from depression.
    NO!
    Pills deplete your seretonin levels by letting loads go at once, and your seretonin receptors get less sensitive because they adjust to getting loads. The seretonin levels take a week or so to get back to normal, but the receptors can be affected for months. It is normal to feel quite unhappy for a week or so after a night out on mdma, and the temporary happiness you do feel is so fake and short lived.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abhead)
    NO!
    Pills deplete your seretonin levels by letting loads go at once, and your seretonin receptors get less sensitive because they adjust to getting loads. The seretonin levels take a week or so to get back to normal, but the receptors can be affected for months. It is normal to feel quite unhappy for a week or so after a night out on mdma, and the temporary happiness you do feel is so fake and short lived.
    I'm aware of that, but i'm not sure it is as clean cut as you suggest. Also i wasn't suggesting heavy usage. Look at this:

"The man responsible for the modern research of MDMA is Alexander Shulgin, who after graduating from the University of California at Berkeley with a Ph.D. in biochemistry landed a job as a research chemist with Dow Chemicals. Among his many achievements for Dow Chemicals was one profitable insecticide and several controversial patents for what were to become popular street drugs. Dow was happy with the insecticide but Shulgin's other projects created a parting of the way between the biochemist and the chemical company. Alexander Shulgin is also the first reported human to use MDMA.

Shulgin continued his legal research of new compounds after leaving Dow, specializing in the phenethylamines family of drugs. MDMA is but one of 179 psychoactive drugs which he described in detail, but it is the one which he felt came closest to fulfilling his ambition of finding the perfect therapeutic drug."

"A hearing was held to decide what permanent measures should be taken against the drug. One side argued that MDMA caused brain damage in rats, the other side claimed this might not be true for humans and that there was proof of the beneficial use of MDMA as a drug treatment in psychotherapy. The residing judge after weighing the evidence, recommended that MDMA be placed on Schedule 3, which would have allowed it to be manufactured, used on prescription, and subject to further research. However, the DEA decided to place MDMA permanently on Schedule 1.

Trial research into the effects of MDMA on human volunteers resumed in 1993 with the approval of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The first psychoactive drug approved for human testing by the FDA."

http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa980311.htm

You argue that the happiness felt is fake, but that is more of a philosphical question than anything else. When you feel happiness generally, you're only really feeling the effects of serotonin. People who are clinically depressed may experience a situation that would give most people happiness but due to chemical problems will feel nothing but depressed by it. Does this mean the depression they're feeling is fake, or is it the happiness that you'd feel is fake?

I'm sure people would report that whilst taking MDMA they have felt happiness about their friendships or about past events when they're reminiscing. I don't see this as fake, i see this as appreciating things that ordinarily they take for granted. The drug may allow it to happen, rather than create it. In the same way that a holiday may allow relaxation to happen, rather than create relaxation.

My main point was that taking ecstacy may allow a person to remember how to feel happy and it seems people far more intelligent on the matter than me have also recognised this. I'm not saying it is guarenteed or even that people should try. But i don't think the situation is as clear cut as you suggest.

ReputationRep:
    I'm aware of that, but i'm not sure it is as clean cut as you suggest. Also i wasn't suggesting heavy usage. Look at this:

"The man responsible for the modern research of MDMA is Alexander Shulgin, who after graduating from the University of California at Berkeley with a Ph.D. in biochemistry landed a job as a research chemist with Dow Chemicals. Among his many achievements for Dow Chemicals was one profitable insecticide and several controversial patents for what were to become popular street drugs. Dow was happy with the insecticide but Shulgin's other projects created a parting of the way between the biochemist and the chemical company. Alexander Shulgin is also the first reported human to use MDMA.

Shulgin continued his legal research of new compounds after leaving Dow, specializing in the phenethylamines family of drugs. MDMA is but one of 179 psychoactive drugs which he described in detail, but it is the one which he felt came closest to fulfilling his ambition of finding the perfect therapeutic drug."

"A hearing was held to decide what permanent measures should be taken against the drug. One side argued that MDMA caused brain damage in rats, the other side claimed this might not be true for humans and that there was proof of the beneficial use of MDMA as a drug treatment in psychotherapy. The residing judge after weighing the evidence, recommended that MDMA be placed on Schedule 3, which would have allowed it to be manufactured, used on prescription, and subject to further research. However, the DEA decided to place MDMA permanently on Schedule 1.

Trial research into the effects of MDMA on human volunteers resumed in 1993 with the approval of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The first psychoactive drug approved for human testing by the FDA."

http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa980311.htm

You argue that the happiness felt is fake, but that is more of a philosphical question than anything else. When you feel happiness generally, you're only really feeling the effects of serotonin. People who are clinically depressed may experience a situation that would give most people happiness but due to chemical problems will feel nothing but depressed by it. Does this mean the depression they're feeling is fake, or is it the happiness that you'd feel is fake?

I'm sure people would report that whilst taking MDMA they have felt happiness about their friendships or about past events when they're reminiscing. I don't see this as fake, i see this as appreciating things that ordinarily they take for granted. The drug may allow it to happen, rather than create it. In the same way that a holiday may allow relaxation to happen, rather than create relaxation.

My main point was that taking ecstacy may allow a person to remember how to feel happy and it seems people far more intelligent on the matter than me have also recognised this. I'm not saying it is guarenteed or even that people should try. But i don't think the situation is as clear cut as you suggest.
    I'm talking from quite a lot of personal experience. MDMA happiness feels very fake because as soon as you start coming down it just goes. It isn't based on anything real so as soon as the drug causing the chemical reaction is gone you would feel miserable again, usually even more miserable as your seretonin store has been massively depleted. They wouldn't remember how to feel happy properly because that would require having something to feel happy about. After a night on MDMA you feel like absolute death and pretty damm miserable for a at least a day, and less happy for at least about a week or so. Everyone I know is that same, although some seem to feel back to normal quicker than others. Once I quit pills/mdma I realised I felt a much happier person on average. It was like a rollercoaster of ups and downs before and I had a much shorter temper and more negative outlook, apart from the times when I was ****** obviously.

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abhead)
    I'm talking from quite a lot of personal experience. MDMA happiness feels very fake because as soon as you start coming down it just goes. It isn't based on anything real so as soon as the drug causing the chemical reaction is gone you would feel miserable again, usually even more miserable as your seretonin store has been massively depleted. They wouldn't remember how to feel happy properly because that would require having something to feel happy about. After a night on MDMA you feel like absolute death and pretty damm miserable for a at least a day, and less happy for at least about a week or so. Everyone I know is that same, although some seem to feel back to normal quicker than others. Once I quit pills/mdma I realised I felt a much happier person on average. It was like a rollercoaster of ups and downs before and I had a much shorter temper and more negative outlook, apart from the times when I was ****** obviously.
    I've done it alot of times and although it is true that you may feel a bit down for awhile i wouldn't go as far as to say the happiness was totally fake. I enjoyed having in depth discussions, appreciating the music, the feeling of contentment etc. The first time it felt like the closest i'd ever come to a spiritual experience. If you take it alot, say a few nights in a row, then you won't even come up due to the lack of serotonin and yes the downer will be pretty harsh, but overall i'd say once in a blue moon doesn't really reduce my happiness levels on average. The only time i felt the real lows and for an extented period of time was when i was doing it a few times a week for a few months. I'd agree then i was less happy on average.

The thing is that that kind of usage will of course not help depression, but a therapeutic dose as determined by an expert may have a positive effect. I think it should be researched into more.

If i had been depressed for two years or so, i would probably take it just to have a break from the depression. I might feel a bit crap afterwards, but i would've felt crap anyway. I don't think the crapness after a bit of MDMA would push me over any threshold.

I understand where you are coming from, but it's difficult to know the effect without testing it out. I would've felt logically that weed would be bad for depression, but it seemed to help the OP. Sometimes things work in different ways, like LSD cures headaches.

ReputationRep:
    Of course getting stoned is going to make you feel less depressed. People quitting weed after long-term use quite often have problems with depression. Stoners will tell you it's the perfect drug and how it's less addictive than tobacco or alcohol, but it really can be quite psychologically addictive and I wouldn't recommend it for any kind of escapism. Talking from experience a bit more than I'd really like

ReputationRep:
    When I was depressed I spent a day as high as a kite after eating an entire batch of hash cakes (it takes so long to kick in, I didn't know how much to eat...). It became part of a turning point for me. Even if I was intoxicated, I realised that I WAS still able to feel happiness, that somewhere inside of me there was a desire to enjoy life. It began my recovery I guess.

So drugs aren't ALL bad...

ReputationRep:
    Weeed can help with depression, but only certain strains. Look for strains high in CBD.

ReputationRep:
    So you will feel alright for like an hour at a time? Well done.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2009
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.