Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

newly graduated, broke, jobless.. :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    Feeling very blue. Graduated this month from uni. Sitting back at home with the rents now and carrying out my lil job hunt everyday.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry that sucks, but I'm sure alot of others are in the same situation as yourself. What degree did you take out of curiosity?

ReputationRep:
    When banks undoubtedly lose their pathetic appeal over them losing the overdraft fee court case because they can't find a good excuse, you'll make £1,500 in a month when you do get a job so no worries. Are you on Jobseekers Allowance or any other benefits?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impervious)
    Sorry that sucks, but I'm sure alot of others are in the same situation as yourself. What degree did you take out of curiosity?
    business management with arabic studies
    theres no problem finding a job, its just that the numbers of jobs have declined and the competition is tougher atm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    When banks undoubtedly lose their pathetic appeal over them losing the overdraft fee court case because they can't find a good excuse, you'll make £1,500 in a month when you do get a job so no worries. Are you on Jobseekers Allowance or any other benefits?
    didnt realise banks were going through some court case.
    yea, applied for jobseekers allowance today.
    oh well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazija)
    didnt realise banks were going through some court case.
    yea, applied for jobseekers allowance today.
    oh well
    JSA will help, can't go wrong with £100 a fortnight (minus the fare to go to the jobcentre every two weeks).

Everyone was demanding, and getting, refunds from their overdraft fees thanks to a campaign from that money guy from GMTV who discovered that the overdraft fees do not actually cover the 'cost' to the banks when you overdraft, which is actually more like 5p not £15 a day or whatever.

So there was a 'test' court case to see if the overdraft fees are legal, which of course they are not. The banks lost so they're appealing to avoid refunding the vast amount of money.

But if the appeal fails then banks might start charging monthly fees of around £15 for having a bank account instead.

Not greedy at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    JSA will help, can't go wrong with £100 a fortnight (minus the fare to go to the jobcentre every two weeks).

Everyone was demanding, and getting, refunds from their overdraft fees thanks to a campaign from that money guy from GMTV who discovered that the overdraft fees do not actually cover the 'cost' to the banks when you overdraft, which is actually more like 5p not £15 a day or whatever.

So there was a 'test' court case to see if the overdraft fees are legal, which of course they are not. The banks lost so they're appealing to avoid refunding the vast amount of money.

But if the appeal fails then banks might start charging monthly fees of around £15 for having a bank account instead.

Not greedy at all.

15 quid to keep a bank account, per month?
    oh FFS!
    HSBC told me that if I go over the agreed overdraft limit on my account (which is 1500, and is at 1500 now) it'll cost me £25... not sure if they meant 25 only, or , 25 every time i withdraw. crazy either way

ReputationRep:
    OP, you sound like my brother. Just graduated in May and has no job. He was just going over his student loan stuff and he told me how much debt he is in. $157,000. Holy mother of god. I would literally go jump off a bridge if I was in that much debt at age 22.

P.S. My avatar works. Sweet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baltimoron)
    OP, you sound like my brother. Just graduated in May and has no job. He was just going over his student loan stuff and he told me how much debt he is in. $157,000. Holy mother of god. I would literally go jump off a bridge if I was in that much debt at age 22.

P.S. My avatar works. Sweet!

$157k? flipping hell... my student debt is max £20k so not as bad as your bro. $157k is insane!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I hope he took a course in bank management or druglording. Or bank heists.

ReputationRep:
    i hope he wins the lottery

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I graduated in June.
    Living with family (I miss my own house!)
    Doing the job hunt- I'm on JSA. I;ve had interviews, but they'd rather take someone with experience-
    (which is catch-22 annoying becasue I'm never going to get proper job experience until someone gives me a job!) But hey I continue searching and hope my hard work pays off!
    I dont go out, unless its free (So I feel like I've had no life for a month!)
    I've been volunteering with various things: Which keeps my sanity- for now!

Theres so much help into becoming a student and coping with uni, but nothing on leaving uni
    Its an existance I'm unfamilar with, So any words of support and/or advice?

I need to do something productive with my time! Any Ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magic_unicorn)
    Hey,
    I graduated in June.
    Doing the job hunt- I'm on JSA. I;ve had interviews, but they'd rather take someone with experience-
    (which is catch-22 annoying becasue I'm never going to get proper job experience until someone gives me a job!) But hey I continue searching and hope my hard work pays off!

Theres so much help into becoming a student and coping with uni, but nothing on leaving uni

voluntary work. Looks excellent on the cv, can use examples of your experiences in your voluntary work, i.e. working with a group, leadership skills etc, when filling out those tedious application forms...

doit.org

ReputationRep:
    OP I really do sympathize with you, you're not the only one that's going through this phase There are thousands of graduates that are in same boat as you. Finding your first job will be a struggle, my brother was in the same predicament he graduated with a high 2:1 in Accounts in 08 but couldn't find a job because of the competitiveness in the job market. He eventually managed to find a job after a 1 year of rejections, frustrations etc. I'm going to be graduating next year and TBH I am extremely worried and stressed that I might have to go through the same experience as my brother did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magic_unicorn)
    Hey,
    I graduated in June.

carry on with the volunteering man. im doing it myself at the moment, to fill the time.
    its all a pain in the ass, good luck with everything though.
    us poor ex students

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghetto_Princess12)
    OP I really do sympathize with you, you're not the only one that's going through this phase There are thousands of graduates that are in same boat as you. Finding your first job will be a struggle, my brother was in the same predicament he graduated with a high 2:1 in Accounts in 08 but couldn't find a job because of the competitiveness in the job market. He eventually managed to find a job after a 1 year of rejections, frustrations etc. I'm going to be graduating next year and TBH I am extremely worried and stressed that I might have to go through the same experience as my brother did
    it really sucks. getting rejected from interviews is so depressing too, especially after travelling and spending money to get to some of them. oh well thats life glad ur bro found a job in the end though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.