Turn on thread page Beta

Lads, how would you react? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know its different for girls, but my best guy mate asked me out after about a year.. and I really didn't feel the same way.. We stayed super close mates and he ended up falling for my best mate =D so it was all good..

ReputationRep:
    OP, if it helps, I'm in exactly the same situation as you right now and have the same fears

ReputationRep:
    i was really lucky i suppose.. i was best mates with my boyfriend for 3 years and then one day i mentioned i liked someone and eventually he worked out it was him and he felt the same.. we've now been together for 2 and a half years... so it can work out

ReputationRep:
    If you are particularly nervous about telling him, or fear the rejection then ask a mutual friend to drop hints. If he does not want to reciprocate then you should not lose a friend since you did not explicitly say anything. Personally, I do not think men and women can be friends without one finding the other attractive, or both.

ReputationRep:
    i think it is possible.. i have a few male friends that i've never been interested in.. although 2 outta 4 have been interested in me lol so perhaps there is something in what you are saying..

The way i did it was tell him about the guy i liked.. and really, they'd only click it was them if they wanted it to be them as long as you werent too obvious lol xx

ReputationRep:
    If I didn't like her back, I'd just say so but that I loved our friendship and that I hope it won't affect it....

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on how you tell them and what kind of person they are.

Are they known for not letting things be forgotten, i.e. are they the kind who will fall out with someone for 2 years +? (I'm not saying they will fall out with you but they might not let it rest for a while).

Or if they're more laid back, even if it is a shock at first they'll be fine in a week. Since this is the majority of cases, and you have the case that they'd like you back as well: the odds are in your favour! ASK EM OUT

ReputationRep:
    I'd be fine with it, and would be flattered even if I didn't feel the same way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x_robyn_giggles)
    If a girl you've been friends with for quite a long time just told you one day she liked you as more than a friend?

If you didn't like her back would you be awkward with her or be fine a respect the fact she's had the confidence to say?

I'm on the verge of finally telling someone i like them but I'm afraid of how he'll be if the sentiments aren't returned.
    I would respect they had the guts to tell me and I would let them down really, really gently if I didn't like them back.

It usually very obvious when a close friend likes you though and the telling the person is more an admittance than news. A girl I am friends with told me she liked me a few weeks ago and I had to tell her I wasn't interested really nicely. Hell, I even felt like kissing her just because the moment was so nice.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be sure what to say really, i am thinking about it in the context of two of my closest female friends, one of them has a boyfriend who i am friends with, but i was initially very attracted to her, assuming she didn't have a boyfriend and told me this, it would depend on the circumstances but i would get to dating her in a round and about way, just to see how things go at first.

If it was the other one, seeing as i haven't really been greatly attracted to her, i wouldn't really know what to say to her, i mean i have a great time with her, can talk to her on the phone for hours (if it wasn't for the phone bill), and she isn't bad looking, we have actually kissed a few times, but i honestly wouldn't know how to deal with it if she turned around one day and told me she liked me.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think you should coz i have alot of guy mates which i prefer coz i think girls are too *****y and for no other reason at all - like i think of them as my brothers but then when you find out lsomeone you counted as your bro likes you it just makes you feel wierd and i dont feel the same talking to them anymore and i dno its hard to forget and we end up not being as close mates
    so i wouldnt recommend it if you wana keep ur friendship

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pri-x)
    i dont think you should coz i have alot of guy mates which i prefer coz i think girls are too *****y and for no other reason at all - like i think of them as my brothers but then when you find out lsomeone you counted as your bro likes you it just makes you feel wierd and i dont feel the same talking to them anymore and i dno its hard to forget and we end up not being as close mates
    I kind of agree with that sentiment. =/ But, you never know... and, heck, you only live once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-pri-x)
    I don't agree.. me and my boyfriend were best mates and we are still really close.. i know its cheesy but i'd still say he's my best mate now

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't feel awkward at all. I think I may even try if I thought there was a chance.

ReputationRep:
    I'd find it a little awkward at first, but soon get over it.

ReputationRep:
    If a girl you've been friends with for quite a long time just told you one day she liked you as more than a friend?

If you didn't like her back would you be awkward with her or be fine a respect the fact she's had the confidence to say?

I'm on the verge of finally telling someone i like them but I'm afraid of how he'll be if the sentiments aren't returned.
    I think If I didn't like her back then maybe I'd be a bit awkward at first, but I'd be soon over it and friends again. I'd respect the fact that she's told me.

ReputationRep:

I would be flattered, and respect her confidence. It will be a bit awkward though, at least for a little while.

ReputationRep:
    at the end of the day whether he likes you or not if he has any sense he'll be expecting a BJ out of it

get practising luv

parté for him :beer:

ReputationRep:
    I was in this situation. I just politely said that i didnt have the same feelings. We remained quite good friends, spoke often... later she found someone who liked her

So how do you think a guy would react if he thought that his female friend was good looking, but saw her as a friend?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.