Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering what would happen if you were to miss your conditional offer. Assumably you would not get in but is it possible to rediscuss your application with the university?
    For example I required a grade "B" in Maths. So far out of the six modules I have got 2x"A", 2x"B" but I suspect I have not done very well in the summer exams. Therefore if I were to get an overall grade "C" and fail my conditional, could I contact the uni to explain that the low grade exams are anomolies and show them that I am capable due to the grades from the other units?
    Any type of response or knowledge from experience would be much appreciated, thanks...

ReputationRep:
    Depends on..............
    How competitive your course is
    How many others missed
    How much you missed (UMS wise)

EDIT: also depends on what the offer was. In your case they said they specifically wanted a B in maths so maybe missing that is even worse than say missing a grade on a subject which had no specific requirement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZizAli)
    OK, do you know how you would go about doing this? Would you just call them up as soon as you get your results?
    I added a bit extra on my last post btw in case you missed it

Call them up asap on results day and before you phone, think of something to say, you only have one shot. (well that's what i'm guessing)

ReputationRep:
    what do you do if you miss it? phone the uni and beg?

ReputationRep:
    Some unis don't let you talk to admissions tutors at all like LSE =[ they only reconsider if you get papers remarked so depends on the uni as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Janey91)
    what do you do if you miss it? phone the uni and beg?
    Pretty much :yep:

ReputationRep:
    yer on results day you can call them and sort the stuff out, sometimes they let you in even if you missed it by a whole grade but one of my friends missed by 1 UMS and they didnt let him in. I reckon it depends on the why they let you in in the first place.

Also dont use the word 'Assumably' on the phone if you do have to call because its not a real word.

ReputationRep:
    Its not specific for Maths, its just BBB, i want to do Economics.
    Is it maths that you will miss if you're going to be missing a grade? considering it's economics and there's a heavier emphasis on maths, i'm not too sure how that will go down. Which uni is this btw? Post this in the economics forum for some more opinions, paulwhy is pretty useful and although i'm doing economics myself i can only provide one view on the situation :p:

ReputationRep:
    Its not specific for Maths, its just BBB, i want to do Economics.
    At which university? You can tell if it's competitive by checking your course on UCAS. If it's available for UCAS extra then it may be easier to get in to than a course that has been already filled up.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't help but notice you have an uncoditional offer, how do people get unconditionals?
    I've moved the thread into the Economics forum for you - no need to post again

ReputationRep:
    I already had my A level grades when I applied since I missed my LSE offer, went to my insurance, hated it, left and reapplied this year =]

ReputationRep:
    According to Google Definitions, 'assumably' is very much an existing word.
    Yes, but it doesn't mean what you thought it did - the word you were really looking for was 'presumably'.

ReputationRep:
    By any chance did you do OCR maths, OP? I think i've messed up my maths too lol.

ReputationRep:
    Economics the majority of the time is very popular and oversubscribed with conditional offers, so the likelihood is that if you miss your offer only by a grade, you will not secure your place.

Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, Edexcel Core 4 and Mechanics 2, very aggressive exams...
    the edexcel C4 mark scheme is available on TSR btw but i doubt you remember the answers you put down lol

ReputationRep:
    Nah, Edexcel Core 4 and Mechanics 2, very aggressive exams...
    My core 4 exam was terrible like, core 3 resit wasn't much better.

ReputationRep:
    What! Can you give me the link? I'll just re-do the exam and see what I get, should be accurate...
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=944486

The answers should still be there but as for the paper i'm not too sure, may have been removed. Don't think re doing the exam would be too good an idea because if you made a mistake in the exam you probably won't make it again and vice versa, best to have looked when it was fresh in your memory :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that, surprisingly its a confidence boost...
    np, was the same for me thought i had a D thus missing my offer (and i only needed the D for the A) turns out i got an A or at least a high B hope i haven't jinxed anything lol

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering what would happen if you were to miss your conditional offer. Assumably you would not get in but is it possible to rediscuss your application with the university?
    For example I required a grade "B" in Maths. So far out of the six modules I have got 2x"A", 2x"B" but I suspect I have not done very well in the summer exams.
    As you have aabb so far maybe you are being a bit pessimistic.

Therefore if I were to get an overall grade "C" and fail my conditional, could I contact the uni to explain that the low grade exams are anomolies and show them that I am capable due to the grades from the other units?
    Any type of response or knowledge from experience would be much appreciated, thanks...
    If you were to get BBC your firm uni can still let you in without you needing to act.

Check out what sort of tariffs your firm uni students have had in previous years:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Cw&output=html

One factor that might make it a bit harder to get in to unis (especially straight away) with below offer grades is Adjustment. Unis can leaving students who miss their offer hanging and check out what other over achieving students are interested in them via Adjustment.

If there is a delay in your firm accepting you (or if they reject you) then certainly you can ring up and try and sell your case. (Although I would have thought they would know your module grades. But certainly you could make sure of that.)

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks. Im not actually being pesimistic, my revision was poor and I struggled with the exams as a consequence.
    My firm is Queen Mary and my insurance is Brunel. Looking at the chart I am a bit confused, it says upto 10%? Does this mean only 10% achieve BBB? Using your expertese could you let me know what the chances of me getting into Queen Mary with BBC? Thanks...
    look at the tariff accumulation pages of the google spreadsheet:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...g6YF9KCw&gid=7

9% of QM 06-07 students had less than 280 points
    33% of QM 06-07 students had less than 320 points

So that is a positive sign. As is the fact that they were in clearing in 2008, and in extra this year.
    Negative signs is that they are increasing their offer to AAB for 2010.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.