Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZizAli)
    Thanks, I got a letter from them saying they were ranked 2nd for Economics in terms of research I think. Does this improvements mean the uni is going to be better ranked and therefore more impressive for employment? If so then will it matter if I was one of the lucky ones who got in before 2010? I still would have been taught and learnt the same high standard the people who get AAB are getting taught right?
    It won't make a bit of difference either way. Employers really don't spend their time looking at league tables and monitoring which unis are moving up and which down!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I got a letter from them saying they were ranked 2nd for Economics in terms of research I think.
    Well RAE is a ranking and not THE ranking. RAE is run by the government and has crude assessments of what counts as different qualities of academic research. i.e. it just has 5 buckets for putting research into:
    http://www.rae.ac.uk/results//outsto...utcomeFull.pdf
    (also I can't find any official orders of the research assessment. i.e. the report just has them in alphabetical order.)

IDEAS is run by academic economists themselves. It assess Economics research in a number of ways and hence IMO is more reliable. It has QM as the 23rd best university in the UK (not 2nd) for economics research.

Here is my spreadsheet on economics research unis:
    http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Vw&output=html

and here is the Msc Economics sticky:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=896049

For comparison here is the TAELT entry:
    31) Queen Mary X (Cc) 2010 AAB (2009 BBB) M**B 370 (Times 23rd(34th),Independent 23rd(32th),Guardian 22nd)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=900865

So I think 23rd best is close to the mark than 2nd.

Does this improvements mean the uni is going to be better ranked and therefore more impressive for employment? If so then will it matter if I was one of the lucky ones who got in before 2010? I still would have been taught and learnt the same high standard the people who get AAB are getting taught right?
    Yes some Bsc applicants will be mislead both into focusing on research rankings and further on just one measure of research quality in particular. Whether they can (or even intend to) maintain a 2 grade increase in offers I doubt.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks alot Sir. You have been very helpful.
    But my point was that as Queen Mary will become a uni now demanding 340 points, it will be better respected. Will the fact that I only needed to get in with 300 points be checked up by employers or will they just beleive I went to a uni that has high demands and be more impressed, whether or not those demands applied to me.
    Sorry: I did not really answer properly your question.

I don't think employers will check out the specific typical offer at the time you applied or those in 3 years time when you start applying for jobs. But they will check out your A-levels and for those wanting 300 UCAS points, it will be critical if you get BBB or BBC. i.e. I can't see them assuming you have 300 points just because that is (below/the same as) the course's typical offer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.