Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why does Liverpool seem to be the least popular out of all the redbrick universities.

ReputationRep:
    One of the lowest ranked is it not?

ReputationRep:
    Because everyone is burgled there. ;/

ReputationRep:
    True that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MIKE ESSIEN IS QUITE SICK)
    Why does Liverpool seem to be the least popular out of all the redbrick universities.
    Why does this matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel4fun4u)
    Why does this matter?
    i was just wondering, if you do not care there was no point of you responding to the thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MIKE ESSIEN IS QUITE SICK)
    i was just wondering, if you do not care there was no point of you responding to the thread.
    I'm actually asking you why this matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel4fun4u)
    I'm actually asking you why this matters.
    oh... as im looking to apply to university next year i was just researching universities and when looking at the redbricks i just seem to notice they all seem to be VERY popular especially bristol, manchester and leeds and was just wondering why liverpool hasnt got the same prestige rep etc...

ReputationRep:
    Have you visited Liverpool yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidcy147)
    Have you visited Liverpool yet?
    nope... do you go there ?

ReputationRep:
    Have you been to the city yet?

It's horrible.

ReputationRep:
    No, I go to Leeds. But if your unsure why it doesn't seem as popular maybe it's an idea to visit it for yourself to see why or just to generally form your own opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben77mc)

It's horrible.
    :woo: for sweeping generalisations. Have you been there recently? or is that just jealousy flowing down the M62? every city has it's bad parts you pillock. OP I'd have no idea mate, I didn't even know that was true.

ReputationRep:
    Lol at the person who said Liverpool was horrible. Maybe if you saw Kensington, Toxteth and Croxteth, yeah, I agree. With the same logic, Moss Side represents Manchester as a whole, or "hole" if you prefer a pun.

To answer your question: it doesn't really matter. Pick a uni you'll actually enjoy going to instead of basing you choice on league table rankings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strawberry_Pancakes)
    :woo: for sweeping generalisations. Have you been there recently? or is that just jealousy flowing down the M62? every city has it's bad parts you pillock. OP I'd have no idea mate, I didn't even know that was true.
    I go there often, yes; my mum has a radio program on BBC Merseyside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben77mc)

It's horrible.
    Manchester isn't anything special. Go away troll.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone's entitled to their own opinions about a city, but as stated earlier Liverpool has good and bad parts like every city.
    I think its quite an unusual city, as like newcastle, its near the coast so has quite quirky bits to it.
    From my experience with law firms it has been rated highly in terms of reputation, possibly because the lawyers are older and liverpool was the original redbrick so it has a traditional reputation despite its lower rankings in the league tables (which most employers know nothing about). Lucky for some and unlucky for others, perceived reputation is more important than league tables.

ReputationRep:
    Everybody has mixed opinions about Liverpool with all the negative feedback coming from people who are located in Manchester/London so I'd only take advice from people who have lived in the city for more than five years.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I can't understand how people can live in the areas the students tend to live in :puke:

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool University does have prestige, with the most nobel prize winners of the redbricks after Manchester. I don't know where you get the impression that it's not rated, it's not as good as Manchester but it's easily as good as Leeds and Newcastle. It has a superb History department, coming second in the latest research assesment and brilliant Vet, Medical, Engineering and Physics departments. The only area that Liverpool lags behind in is the 'softer' subjects like Politics etc. If you go to Liverpool you'll be asked for good grades, just like at any Red brick. The reason it has not faired well in the rankings over the previous years is because they have tried to cater for everything, thus there are too many courses on offer and some of them are weak.

For what it's worth I think Leeds is a terrible University, I went there for a year and the people all seemed to be dossers and people with low grades.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

University of Liverpool Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Quick links:

Unanswered University of Liverpool ThreadsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other Liverpool applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.