Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'd really want to hear from people living in Brynderw at the moment - what the place is like? Don't be too scared to say bad things as I already haven't got much of a choice - I've already received a letter saying that's going to be my home.

ReputationRep:
    It's not as bad as you'd expect from the horror stories.
    It hasn't been done up in many many years, unlike the others, but the rooms are a decent size, you get the same amount of toilets/kitchen appliances as other halls, but spread between fewer rooms. The paint is peeling though on the walls though, and its just generally a bit grotty.
    I loved it being as close to town as it was, though.

One thing they didn't mention in the book was that it doesn't have wireless internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notthatmuchofapole)
    I'd really want to hear from people living in Brynderw at the moment - what the place is like? Don't be too scared to say bad things as I already haven't got much of a choice - I've already received a letter saying that's going to be my home.
    What, have the university told you that's where you're staying before you've even made your choices on the options form?

ReputationRep:
    Olyy: Well, thanks for the info. It's seems to be better than I thought. I'm a bit disappointed about the fact there is no wireless internet connection in there, though.

tomc87: No, I've normally completed the application and made a list of preferred halls.

ReputationRep:
    You don't get wireless internet in any of the halls that I know of, I certainly didn't know anyone with wireless. Doesn't make much difference, all you need is the correct connection, and they sell them in freshers week as they know everyone will need them. You can use the wireless when you are on campus, or somewhere in town.

As for Brynderw, I haven't personally been into those halls, but knew people that were, and they didn't seem to complain.

ReputationRep:
    I was under the impression that all campus accomodation got wireless?
    Maybe not then

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if some seafront halls are wireless, but none of the campus rooms are as far as i'm aware. Not really a problem anyway, the connection used to go down alot in the first year, but was pretty good most of the time last year.

ReputationRep:
    The accommodation handbook mentions WiFi in some of the communal areas, but I got the impression that rooms only have a wired ethernet connection

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olyy)
    I was under the impression that all campus accomodation got wireless?
    Maybe not then
    No-one I knew on campus had wireless, and I knew someone from each of the halls up there, no wireless I am afraid. Unless you are close enough to Rosser lounge or the library to pick it up from there!

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, my mistake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notthatmuchofapole)
    tomc87: No, I've normally completed the application and made a list of preferred halls.
    I'm sure the experience will still be good, once you get here, just means you have to get up a bit earlier to walk up to the uni. Was Brynderw towards to bottom of your list then?

ReputationRep:
    Ah.

It's not terrible. It's abit grotty, and some of the appliances are abit old, and it takes ages to get **** fixed up, but it's nice enough. Plus you end up with only 5/6 people per flat so you get close to them. I wouldn't have traded this years flatmates for anyone, love all of the *******.

Plus it's so close to the pubs

ReputationRep:
    The old halls of residence on the Llanbadarn campus used to be wireless. As far as I'm aware though, all of the other halls use a wired connection.

As for Brynderw, it's not too bad. As others have said, it's a bit grotty and could do with a refurb. However, it's the cheapest hall the uni has and so I guess you can't be too picky really. It's certainly not as bad as some people might make out.

ReputationRep:
    GARNERISH: No, Brynderw was actually pretty close to the top, thanks to its price and the fact it has single study bedrooms.

I was really anxious, having heard few bad opinions on Brynderw, thats why I made the thread.
    But - from what I hear - there's not much to worry about. Thanks for the info.

University open days

1. Aberystwyth University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  2. Aberystwyth University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 13 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.