Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    so, i posted a thread about dyeing hair blonde a few days ago and got mixed responses about success, but i've basically decided to go ahead and do it anyway.

i got my fringe trimmed @ my hairdresser's yesterday and he did a strand test for me with just bleach, and apparently it took to it very well. he really thinks i'd look good platinum/white blonde but i can't REALLY afford to get it done properly, and it'd be more convenient for me if i did it. i asked about doing it myself, and he said that of course he'd recommend getting it done properly but that it can work, it might just take a few goes. & if it does go wrong, i can just call him and he'll sort me out asap.

SO, i've bought two boxes of said dye ^^ i've seen a few 'transformations' on people using it, and it looked really good, but i also know people have had bad experiences with it.. usually those who are darker to begin with.

i have 'virgin' mousy hair- it's not brown as such, but it's a little too dark to be considered blonde. it's still fairly light though and quite ashy, no noticeable red in it. i have very pale skin with slightly rosy cheeks and blue eyes, and was blonde as a kid. oh, and my hair's really quite short and choppy.

so good idea? any experiences with this dye? any hints/tips/strong opinions?

would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Right, well, I have heard good things about this product, but you are after white blonde yes?

In order to go from your colour to white blonde you will need to use what we call a 'toner'. A toner is purple colour, so if your hair goes a brassy colour you use purple to combat the orange, resulting in the white blonde shade.

I have never used a permanent toner, I used a purple shampoo & conditioner after I had mine done.

ALSO, to keep your hair in good condition leave on your hair conditioner for a long period of time, but don't leave on purple conditioner on for too long, as your hair will look slightly purple

Any other questions feel free to ask

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cupcakee)

Any other questions feel free to ask
    thankyouu! yeah it's white blonde i'm after and was debating over the toner- didn't know whether to get some proper stuff or not! i've got the dye and was planning on doing it tomorrow, and was just going to get a purple shampoo and conditioner like you said. i saw a lee stafford one in boots which looked quite decent, and said it helped to remove brassy tones etc.

if it does go brassy/yellowy, how long does it take for the shampoo/conditioner to actually make it better? i didn't want to use proper toner 'cause i'm scared i'd just turn my hair purple!

also, do you reckon it will go properly yellow? i was just going to do it tomorrow and then get some stuff at the weekend. i can deal with it being not quite 'white' for a while, but obviously don't want it BRIGHT yellow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raisin.)
    thankyouu! yeah it's white blonde i'm after and was debating over the toner- didn't know whether to get some proper stuff or not! i've got the dye and was planning on doing it tomorrow, and was just going to get a purple shampoo and conditioner like you said. i saw a lee stafford one in boots which looked quite decent, and said it helped to remove brassy tones etc.

if it does go brassy/yellowy, how long does it take for the shampoo/conditioner to actually make it better? i didn't want to use proper toner 'cause i'm scared i'd just turn my hair purple!

also, do you reckon it will go properly yellow? i was just going to do it tomorrow and then get some stuff at the weekend. i can deal with it being not quite 'white' for a while, but obviously don't want it BRIGHT yellow
    OOH HOW FUNNY! I use the Lee Stafford one!

I brought it just in case though, as I normally have my hairdresser do my hair, and she uses the proper bleaching stuff, the correct percentage so has never gone orangey.

But then, dyed my hair on my own using Jerome Russel, bit of a disaster to be quite honest... My hair is veryyy long you see, So I had a horrible patch I had missed! Haha! But yes, the toner worked a treat

It might shock you at first to be honest, but I can't say not knowing exact shade of your hair now, and having not used that product I don't know how strong it is.

Using the toner is pretty instant, you rub it right in, it could take a few washes before it goes the colour you want though

ReputationRep:
    The Lee Stafford toner is brilliant! I use it loads! (my hairs a lot more white-blonde now than it was in my profile photo btw)
    But yeah, you should be fine..don't worry if when your waiting for the 45 minutes or so with it on, if it looks orange..it will go through an orange stage, basically don't panic and don't wash it off till the times up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuicidalLemming)
    The Lee Stafford toner is brilliant! I use it loads! (my hairs a lot more white-blonde now than it was in my profile photo btw)
    But yeah, you should be fine..don't worry if when your waiting for the 45 minutes or so with it on, if it looks orange..it will go through an orange stage, basically don't panic and don't wash it off till the times up
    aaah i probably should have bought it when i saw it then, may get my boyfriend to grab me it in his lunch hour tomorrow

yeah it says on the box to leave it for no longer than 45, but to check it @ 30. would you recommend leaving it on for the maximum time then?

i'm actually going out for my sister's birthday meal tomorrow night, so fingers crossed i don't end up ginger!

thankyou both lotss.

ReputationRep:
    just done a strand test with the dye- it's gone blonde, but still quite yellowy.

will a toner shampoo sort that out or should i dye it twice? i have two boxes of the stuff

ReputationRep:
    My friend used this stuff last night - I will see if I can get her to post!

ReputationRep:
    I USED THIS AND IT WENT HORRIBLY WRONG!!!
    I have medium/light blond hair anyway but like you, wanted platinum hair on a budget. I did the skin test, all was well, and put the dye on. It's 45/40 minutes you have to leave it on isn't it? I saw the transformation to a gingery colour at 45 minutes and then my head began tingling at approx 1hour when the hair was yellow. I had no choice but to take the dye off leaving my hair a bright yellow colour. AWFUL

I had to go to the hairdress who told me going over it would leave me with hair like straw. I had to have £40 of streaks in order to dull down the yellow glow.
    Yikes.
    All I can say is, if you hairs darker, beware.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by killerjane)
    All I can say is, if you hairs darker, beware.

oh dear, i'm really scared now!
    when i did the strand test mine went ginger after about ten minutes, and after 45 it was definitely blonde but with a yellow tint.

i just read the box and it says don't use if you're light blonde already, so maybe that's why it didn't work for you? i don't know. my hair's darker than yours, but not dark as such.

i'm looking at the strand now and it does look a little yellowy like you said, but not BRIGHT yellow.. just not white. am i silly for thinking using a toning shampoo would sort it out?

if not then i was just gonna deep condition it every day for a week and then dye over it again to get it lighter.

ReputationRep:
    I've tried this dye and in my opinion its useless! Ive got naturally light blonde hair but have recently gone platinum blonde. I used this first and it hardly made a difference just made my hair look a yellow colour (even with toner).

I just used a nice'n easy dye after talking to my aunt (a hairdresser) and it worked really well. My hair is so light now even without a toner. I cant remember the exact shade i bought but on the side of the packet there is a image showing a scale from 'cool' to 'warm'. The one i chose was just a little off cool. A warm shade will give you that yellow tint that you dont want.

Hope this helps you

ReputationRep:
    noo really do not use it! i've heard nothing but bad about it. even if you do get your hair to acceptable blonde, and not any vile shade of orange or yellow, the texture of it will be awful! in all honesty, it is worth saving and waiting to get it done professionally. the damange to your hair will be much less and the colour will just look a bit more professional and not so d-i-y. i'd also be careful if you have a tendancy to have rosy cheeks- very light blonde hair will accentuate this. it might be more flattering to have a blend of colours, with the lightest blonde on top to make your hair look blonder.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry this is so long!

Firstly, I have used this 'dye' (its not really a dye because its lifting your hair colour - its really bleach). It is HORRIBLY watery. horribly horribly. I love their black tone but this platinum one is UGH compared to the Jerome Russell Bleach kits, which come out more creamy and thicker and dont drip into your eyes/mouth/all over the floor etc. but, since you've got it, you might as well make do. Wherever you use this stuff, make sure its somewhere you dont care if it gets ruined. Or just...don't move once its on.

Here is my standard How to go Platinum Blonde at Home post:

Hopefully, if you're not too dark, you wont have to do two processes.
    Your roots will develop quicker than the rest of your hair, apparently its something to do with the heat from your head. So put the 'dye' on all of your hair except the root area at first, then later on cover these areas. I can't give you exact times because it's hard to predict and everyone's different etc etc. This is something you'll have to work out through trial and error. Personally I would start by covering the roots 15 minutes after I'd covered the rest of my hair.

After the process, your hair will either be a) super light b) yellow c) orange.
    If its super light, chuck as much conditioner as possible on it, let it sink in for at least five minutes, rinse. For aftercare, make sure you either condition loads, or leave your hair to get a bit greasy so the natural oils replenish it. but platinum hair looks extra gross when greasy as it gets a lovely yellow colour

If the answer is b), you could possibly just use a toner to lighten it up depending on the strength of the yellow. i recommend Shaders and Toners Ash Blonde. This might not work in all cases though, in which case....

if the answer is c) or the yellow doesnt tone well, you will need to bleach it again. It is possible to bleach twice in one day, but its NOT recommended if you actually want vaguely healthy hair at the end of it. If possible, leave it for at least three days, if not a week or two - understandly this is difficult when you have (probably patchy) orangey yellow hair. Again, go through the same process as before, although i highly recommend avoiding the roots since they are almost ALWAYS light blonde by this stage anyway. You won't necessarily need to leave it on the maximum time however.

General guideline by this point:
    Yellow - 30 minutes
    Orange - 40-50 minutes

Rinse, tone, condition condition condition.
    There is still a chance it will look patchy by this point. Yet another reason I prefer bleach kits - you don't have to use them all at once, you can work out ratios and save some for a rescue remedy.

In all honesty, your hair will not be in good condition no matter what precautions you take because bleach pretty much burns your hair. And using home products makes things a whole lot ickier, and you wont get any special hairdresser conditioner slapped on it at the end. You will also have to do your roots constantlyyyyy, and as someone with virgin hair you probably don't appreciate how irritating hair dye maintenance is at this point lol.

One last note...I am shocked your hairdresser said you could do this at home. Most respectful hairdressers would do anything to persuade you AGAINST the idea. Unless you guys are friends or something, I suspect he's trying to make more work for himself by making sure he has a nice expensive little correction job coming up...

ReputationRep:
    yeah what someone said earlier about rosy cheeks plus light hair. I had my hair bleached to almost white blonde (not actually my intention at all ) and omg it brought out allllll the red in my face, it did not look good. i do get red quite easily so it might not be the same for you, i found that as soon as i got a bit of roots and it made my hair appear darker then it no longer made the red in my face noticable. but seriously if you blush easily, at first with platinum hair it can look vairvair harsh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by penny_wishes)
    Sorry this is so long!

One last note...I am shocked your hairdresser said you could do this at home. Most respectful hairdressers would do anything to persuade you AGAINST the idea. Unless you guys are friends or something, I suspect he's trying to make more work for himself by making sure he has a nice expensive little correction job coming up...
    thankyou so much for all of that i wish i'd seen it before i actually did it but it's still really useful so i'm going to copy & paste then save it! haha.

i did it and in all honesty it could have gone a lot worse- my hair is definitely blonde, though quite yellowy (but not horrendous!) and it IS an even colour thank god. no patches it's also reasonably unharmed.. it wasn't in great condition to begin with but it doesn't seem much worse now so it's all good.

i do want to get it whiter though & i'm using the lee stafford bleach blonde shampoo at the moment which seems to be helping a little to get the yellow out. is the wella stuff you recommended the stuff that comes in little sachets? also, could i/would you recommend dying over my hair again in a week or so with the same stuff/a similar colour by another brand?

everyone's been saying that it does suit me but it's still a little yellow for my liking.

as for the comment about the hairdresser.. haha, i know we're not friends as such but my mum's known him for years and he owns his own salon. he's a really decent bloke though and i think he was just being truthful. he did recommend getting it done properly but said that it'd still be the same price to correct it anyway so i might as well give it a shot if i really want to! he's quite out there i suppose.. and he's what my mum refers to as 'edgy' in old people's terms. haha, so yeah. he'll probably say he could have done better, and he could have, but oh well.

cheers so much for all your advice though, and everyone else!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2009
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.