Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I hate stand up comedy.... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else?

I hate that awkward dynamic between the audience and comedian. The way that the comic has to gain laughs or they'll be shot down. I find it so cringeful if they're bad I can't even bear staying in the room. If the comedian is not total ****, mediocre say, then most of the audience just laugh at everything indiscriminately. Plus so many of them rely on the same old jokes (e.g. jokes about accents, or places in the UK being not very nice places to live). There's also this macho element about it.... My ex played at the comedy store a few times and he wasn't even a funny guy but I think he had some inferiority complex about this and wanted to prove himself. I reckon it's probably pretty common.

Sometimes you do see really good stand ups on TV such as Dylan Moran but I never see great people like this live.

Does anyone else hate stand up and would rather put out cigarettes in their eyeballs than sit through yet another lame performance?

ReputationRep:
    Don't watch it?
    I love it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimbobanage)
    Don't watch it?
    I love it
    Was just opening this thread to write that

ReputationRep:

so you dont find him funny?

ReputationRep:
    I love it...especially michael mcintyre!!! how can you not???

ReputationRep:
    I do agree with some of your post. Certain comedians fail to come up with fresh material and even though most of the audience have heard the joke before, they will get caught up in the atmosphere and make an impulse laugh even if they don't find it funny. Although I do find macintyre funny. I am seeing him in September

ReputationRep:
    Some genuinely have a talent for it, like Rhod Gilbert, and Dara O'Briain is brilliant at interacting with audiences. What I do hate are the stand-ups who just go one-liner, one-liner, one-liner, like Jimmy Carr. He's great at telling jokes, just chooses the worst type to tell.

Others I really like include Stephen K Amos, Sean Lock is hilarious as well.

Some of the humour I just don't get, e.g. I don't find Ricky Gervais funny in any way, shape or form. I also used to absolutely love Lee Evans, but i'm starting to lean towards people like the Russell Howards, Michael McIntyres and whathaveyou.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ameeso)
    Was just opening this thread to write that
    Same here. Don't like it then don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    i luv it!

ReputationRep:
    Most stand-up comedians are cringeworthy - the entire panel of Mock the Week for instance, that northern fat bloke who does 8 out of 10 cats, that Irish guy who used to do the Carphone Warehouse ads.....the list goes on.

Occasionally though, you get a real gem, who develops a fanatical, almost cult like following - someone like Bill Hicks for example. There is something hugely sexy about a good stand-up comedian and unfortunately, they are a very rare breed.

ReputationRep:
    Love it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    Read the post first, friend.

I happen to love stand up, but sometimes it does get uncomfortable, I agree.

ReputationRep:
    No you don't, you hate bad stand ups.

ReputationRep:

yeah I do. And watching on TV especially makes it better.

I kind of hate the expectation of the life audience I guess. And if they're not absolutely brilliant comics like Bill Bailey then the situation makes me cringe. When people are laughing hysterically at mediocre jokes and they're paying money to get their humour or they're angry and heckle. I just hate all that.... There's something really conformist about it when it's supposed to be the opposite.

I dunno. Maybe I need to lighten up.... ahem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cats_have_teats)
    Does anyone else?

I hate that awkward dynamic between the audience and comedian. The way that the comic has to gain laughs or they'll be shot down. I find it so cringeful if they're bad I can't even bear staying in the room. If the comedian is not total ****, mediocre say, then most of the audience just laugh at everything indiscriminately. Plus so many of them rely on the same old jokes (e.g. jokes about accents, or places in the UK being not very nice places to live). There's also this macho element about it.... My ex played at the comedy store a few times and he wasn't even a funny guy but I think he had some inferiority complex about this and wanted to prove himself. I reckon it's probably pretty common.

Sometimes you do see really good stand ups on TV such as Dylan Moran but I never see great people like this live.

Does anyone else hate stand up and would rather put out cigarettes in their eyeballs than sit through yet another lame performance?
    You haven't seen the legends, the masters.

George Carlin
    Richard Pryor
    Eddie Murphy
    Dave Chappelle
    Eddie Izzard.

Go and watch some of their greatest, then come back.

ReputationRep:
    I Love Standup, Jimmy Carr live is so good but most people dont bother watching him as they assume its how he is on TV. AL Murray is good live also in terms of audience interaction

My favourite is stewart lee; political stand up :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Chris Rock & Russell Peters Rule! Also Dave Chappelle

ReputationRep:
    Actually no, he is very poor IMO - when people post BB they normally have to post the same 3 or 4 clips - usually the BBC one, which is one of the only ones that is really funy IMO

Anyway, I disagree with the OP though.

I have never seen a comedian crash and burn but only because i have usually seen the more popular ones where the audience will probably laugh regardless because of the mood they are in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InfernoUk)
    I Love Standup, Jimmy Carr live is so good but most people dont bother watching him as they assume its how he is on TV.
    Doesn't Jimmy Carr just use one liners for a whole gig?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.