Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I hate stand up comedy.... watch

ReputationRep:
    I can't recommend Dave Chappelle enough really. Truly one of the greatest of all time. Modern Classic.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is with stand ups you need to watch a few and find someone you like. Admittedly, a lot of them are **** and the funniest thing they can come up with is say ****,pussy and tits - all of which everyone suddenly laughs at for no apparent reason. Others refrain from getting a laugh from naming sexual organs :p: and try to be funny but i still don't find them funny such as bill bailey even though all my friends love him. Seen a couple of Dara O'briens stand ups and i really like him as a stand up - may not be to everybody's taste but as i said, you need to find one you like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    so you dont find him funny?
    I think i'm the only one who doesn't find that man's stand ups funny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    Thing is with stand ups you need to watch a few and find someone you like. Admittedly, a lot of them are **** and the funniest thing they can come up with is say ****,pussy and tits - all of which everyone suddenly laughs at for no apparent reason. Seen a couple of Dara O'briens stand ups and i really like him as a stand up - may not be to everybody's taste but as i said, you need to find one you like
    Yeah I think this is probably the best post on this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cats_have_teats)
    Yeah I think this is probably the best post on this thread.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYBWA7wX_LM

there's dara o'brien/briain no idea how you spell his name lol. Anyways, see if you like his stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iain 815)
    Doesn't Jimmy Carr just use one liners for a whole gig?
    nope he does segments, stories, these wierd kinda comedy in every day life things and then strings them together with setup/punchline jokes. Its really quite good i think people assume that of him to much but i enjoyed all 3 of his DVDs and have seen them multiple times, i would say however he isnt for everybody if your easily offended lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYBWA7wX_LM

there's dara o'brien/briain no idea how you spell his name lol. Anyways, see if you like his stuff
    Dara is such a legend. It's amazing that half of his shows are made up on the fly simply interacting with the audience.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I don't think I'd ever really respect a comedian like my favourite musicians or writers. There's something about the appeal to the audience for laughs which makes them less attractive to me. Does that make any sense? Probably not.

ReputationRep:
    Don't watch it then, but Ricky Gervais is amazing!

ReputationRep:
    What really gets my goat is the 'stand-up' guy in between breaks on Channel 4 on programs like 8 out of 10 cats. He is just not funny whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    I can see where you're coming from when its in a local comedy venue. Yeah, i've seen some shockers. Plus in smaller places, being closer to the comedian theres a certain element of eye contact, even if fleeting. Compared to the 'professional' comedians, its quite unnerving because there isnt as much distance between the audience and them, when they bomb - you cant ignore it.
    All i know is that i've never laughed as hard as when i saw Bill Bailey and Frankie Boyle live - even though frankie boyle is the most terrifying person in the world.
    But the professionals are professionals for a reason, which is why they dont make many bum jokes.

I do enjoy watching crap comedians fall and burn in a sickly satisfying way though. Especially when you know they think they've got 'it'; whatever this elusive 'it' is...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iain 815)
    Dara is such a legend. It's amazing that half of his shows are made up on the fly simply interacting with the audience.
    that's why i like him XD he can just rip into his audience (in a good way) plus he seems like a likeable guy. Some comediens you just think - that guy seems like a bit of a ****, Franky Boyle springs to mind lol, can't stand that *******

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cornford4)
    What really gets my goat is the 'stand-up' guy in between breaks on Channel 4 on programs like 8 out of 10 cats. He is just not funny whatsoever.
    Agreed agreed agreed.
    Hate that bloke.

Why would they expect you to know the lifespan of a llama?
    It doesnt even make sense!

ReputationRep:
    Even famous comedians hate where they started off, those horrible bars, half the people in there too drunk to even appreciate the humour.

You need to find a comedian that suits your sense of humour, for example some comedians make political jokes, I hate them! I like jokes you can relate to, aspects of life which they make funny!

ReputationRep:
    i recognize some of his jokes from other comedians shows and possibly though i could be wrong also family guy, cant really remember now though. But yer its shocking

ReputationRep:
    it takes a lot to make me truly ''laugh'' but love it once i get going

ReputationRep:
    Oh my........ that guy with he purple jeans and curly hair? Let's kill the ******

:mob::mob::mob::mob:

ReputationRep:
    There's a multitude of good acts out there, Michael McIntyre, Jack Dee, Dara O'Brien. What makes them good is that their routine can span an entire performance, where each joke flows into the next and they can leave their act behind to improvise if something good occurs to them. I don't like people like Frankie Boyle who just stand and deliver one liner after another. It just doesn't flow.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I don't think I'd ever really respect a comedian like my favourite musicians or writers. There's something about the appeal to the audience for laughs which makes them less attractive to me. Does that make any sense? Probably not.

doesnt that defeat the point of them being a comedian to get no laughs? and im sure musicians probably want people , especially at a gig or what not ,to enjoy the music, maybe give an applause, or is that just an appeal

try ross noble, he just makes things up on the spot for half of it ,maybe itll seem less eeuurrgghhh to you

ReputationRep:
    yeah I do. And watching on TV especially makes it better.

I kind of hate the expectation of the life audience I guess. And if they're not absolutely brilliant comics like Bill Bailey then the situation makes me cringe. When people are laughing hysterically at mediocre jokes and they're paying money to get their humour or they're angry and heckle. I just hate all that.... There's something really conformist about it when it's supposed to be the opposite.

I dunno. Maybe I need to lighten up.... ahem.
    You're overthinking it all! It's comedy jeezzz ! could say most forms of public entertainment is conformist, i wouldnt call it that, i'd say things like heckling etc are just traditions. As for mediocre jokes, every comedian's different, i love some stand up comics, but actually wish to kick others in the face, go to see the ones you like on tv like bill bailey and see if you change you're mind. If you dont, it's probably just one of those things you wont really click with.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.