Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I hate stand up comedy.... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Isn't that like saying you don't like music? Sure, plenty of music isn't to my taste and I really see what you mean about the atmosphere lower down the comedy food chain. I hate that nasty, aggressive, testosterone-run edge of comedy which seems to run into crap like Mock the Week, which is tremendously conformist. To me, comedy should be confrontational and subversive but that's not the same as being like Frankie Boyle and just coming out with whatever "Controversial" thing is going through his head, because he obviously doesn't mean a bloody word of it. See Dylan Moran's set in Monster on the Iraq war, at a time when every two-bit idiot was getting easy kicks from GWB. Ridiculously, listen-twice-over-because-you-missed-half-the-jokes-laughing hiliarious but with such a light touch you don't realise how clever and challenging it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    Oh my........ that guy with he purple jeans and curly hair? Let's kill the ******

:mob::mob::mob::mob:

He deserves to die by watching his awful jokes non-stop me thinks.

ReputationRep:
    I like stand up comedy, usually. I abhor Shazia Mirza, though. She performed at a multi-faith event that I went to, where there were people from around the age of 12ish to 25, but insisted on making really dirty jokes for the majority of the time. They were so out of place and blatant that it just wasn't funny (wouldn't have been funny anywhere, really)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pk12345)
    You're overthinking it all! It's comedy jeezzz ! could say most forms of public entertainment is conformist, i wouldnt call it that, i'd say things like heckling etc are just traditions. As for mediocre jokes, every comedian's different, i love some stand up comics, but actually wish to kick others in the face, go to see the ones you like on tv like bill bailey and see if you change you're mind. If you dont, it's probably just one of those things you wont really click with.
    Yeah I don't think I do click with it. Maybe if I found someone who really made me laugh so much I could forget the audience then possibly. But I still don't think I would enjoy the gig situation. I guess comedy is quite powerful really, or rather, it gets powerful reactions like you just described in your post. you LOVE them or others you want to kick in the face.

I suppose it could be the same for bands too but there's something more transcendental about music or theatre where people don't expect this kind of base reaction. I MUST LAUGH. I really don't....like that experience.

I like people to make me laugh and I like funny people. I just don't like the way it's all in this arena of people approving it all or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AEH)
    Isn't that like saying you don't like music? Sure, plenty of music isn't to my taste and I really see what you mean about the atmosphere lower down the comedy food chain. I hate that nasty, aggressive, testosterone-run edge of comedy which seems to run into crap like Mock the Week, which is tremendously conformist. To me, comedy should be confrontational and subversive but that's not the same as being like Frankie Boyle and just coming out with whatever "Controversial" thing is going through his head, because he obviously doesn't mean a bloody word of it. See Dylan Moran's set in Monster on the Iraq war, at a time when every two-bit idiot was getting easy kicks from GWB. Ridiculously, listen-twice-over-because-you-missed-half-the-jokes-laughing hiliarious but with such a light touch you don't realise how clever and challenging it is.
    YES YES YES. I agree with this entirely. I like Dylan Moran as well. I mentioned this in my first post. I usually really don't like stand up so I know he must be 'good' at least in my eyes.

It's this conformist thing I hate so much. It does have to be confrontational I agree. The comedian shouldn't obviously appeal to the audience. That's my criteria I think. I want them to actually say something they want to say too not just one liners for easy tricks.

(Although I do like Bill Bailey because of Spaced mostly and so I know his charisma and personality improves his endearing stand up to me, he's just too genuine not to like).

ReputationRep:
    I love it!

Frankie Boyle is possibly the funniest man on the planet

Al Murray on the other hand..... :mad:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cats_have_teats)
    YES YES YES. I agree with this entirely. I like Dylan Moran as well. I mentioned this in my first post. I usually really don't like stand up so I know he must be 'good' at least in my eyes.

It's this conformist thing I hate so much. It does have to be confrontational I agree. The comedian shouldn't obviously appeal to the audience. That's my criteria I think. I want them to actually say something they want to say too not just one liners for easy tricks.

(Although I do like Bill Bailey because of Spaced mostly and so I know his charisma and personality improves his endearing stand up to me, he's just too genuine not to like).
    I think you just dislike pandering hack comedians. By pushing the audience out of their comfort zone and not just going for the cheap laughs - it can really be fantastic. See Doug Stanhope, Stewart Lee, Bill Hicks etc.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer sit down comedy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayscout)
    I think you just dislike pandering hack comedians. By pushing the audience out of their comfort zone and not just going for the cheap laughs - it can really be fantastic. See Doug Stanhope, Stewart Lee, Bill Hicks etc.
    Ah I was just going to recommend Stanhope and Hicks to the OP. Kudos to you for having awesome taste

ReputationRep:
    Live at the Apollo is a good way to watch stand up. 20 min sessions so they dont get repetitive and u usually get one brand name comedian and another who is unheard of. Both normally good.

Watch Frankie Boyle on it, the guy on first is incredible [can't remember his name]

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to like Mock the Week, but it's only certain people on the panel that make me laugh, like Russell Howard (i've heard the stamp joke about a thousand times though. "Look, Phillip! I'm a stamp!") and that bald bloke.. Dara is alright too, but I don't know what he's saying sometimes

Hugh Dennis has a punchable face, he just says something, puts on a perverted face and stands there till people stop laughing. O_o?

I like some others too, but I forget names. I suck.

Is it just me that doesn't really find women funny? That tiny lady on Mock the Week on Sunday (I keep seeing it on Dave and BBC2) isn't funny, she just smiles like a bit of a fool when she's trying to be funny, and it spoils it. Sure, Dawn French and Gina Yashere are good, just some are a bit crap.

/rant and rave

ReputationRep:
    Ah there are loads of great stand ups! Michael Mcintyre, Dara O Brain (dunno how to spell his name :P ) and many others.

But to all stand up lovers: Spencer Brown will ruin the face of comedy as we know it. Youtube him. There isn't a single original joke in any of his stuff, his rapport with the audience is umm...ZERO!

And for those of you still on the fence, he's the bloke that does the stand up jokes for 3 before every channel 4 comedy show. End of rant.

ReputationRep:
    I love standup, but for some reason find stand up very unfunny if I'm watching it on TV. There's something about the atmosphere that makes being there 100x funnier. About the only standup I can watch on TV and still laugh at is Eddie Izzard for some reason.

Then again, the stand ups that make it onto TV are far from a fair representation.

ReputationRep:
    I've never found it cringeworthy and felt the need to laugh tbh

ReputationRep:
    Never used to be a fan of stand up to be honest, which was annoying when I was younger (14/15ish) as my parents love it, but gradually, mainly through Live at the Apollo and shows like that I really got into it. Love it now.

Seen Jimmy Carr and Ed Byrne live. Both superb. Jimmy Carr's whole demeanour is hilarious, never mind the jokes.

There are a few out there I can't stand. Lee Evans , Mark Watson (especially since those f*****g Magners ads), Bill Bailey and Johnny Vegas ([email protected]) are just not funny.

Ricky Gervais, Russell Howard, Frankie Boyle, Jack Dee, Dylan Moran and Rhod Gilbert are all brilliant though.

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes feel like that. What makes me cringe more though (irrationally too I admit) is when you can see how rehearsed it is. I mean fair enough if it's people like Jimmy Carr, he isn't just going to stand there and try and think up all those one liners, but sometimes with McIntyre, all the skipping around and the headshaking and the stresses on certain words...I can just imagine him trying it out on his bathroom mirror like "first we do the shakey head...then the same joke again but in a Scottish accent...perfect" and it just kills it for me. Then on the other hand people like Eddie Izzard and Ross Noble, even though I'm sure they've rehearsed it too and picked up sort of set ways of saying it along the way, it still comes across as natural enough when they say it, because they sort of laugh at bits and reword bits and go on tangents. At one point in Glorious when playing two people (or rather one was a baboon) one character says "You don't know where you're going with this do you?" and Izzard as himself replies "I did before but I don't now..."

I've explained it really badly I know, I don't mind knowing all their material is thought of beforehand, I just don't want to feel as if they've learnt it word-for-word, gesture-for-gesture.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.