Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't know what to do about my parents. Watch

Right, please only give positive responces, i dont want to read any "Grow up" or anything like that. At the moment i hate my parents. People say hate is a strong word and that you cant hate your parents, but i do, i hate them so so so so much. They make my world a misery. But in a wierd way, as much as i hate them i love them. I dont think that they love me. so i guess i hate them for not loving me.

Firstly my parents are separated, and i spend one weekend a month at my dad's house and i live with my mom. I dont know why my parents split up, i never felt confident enough to ask, and when i did ask my mom once, she said "Why do you need to know that" and gave me a look which said "dont ask me this again" I'm 15 by the way.

My mom, doesn't love me. People would say she does, and when i told her that she doesn't she said "Dont be stupid," but like she'll get me nice clothes and take me out to places and give me things if i want them, but she has never ever once said "I love you," or given me a hug. At Chrismas's and birthday's she'll lavish me with wonderful gifts, and then when i don't act pleased, she'll be all like "why are you being so ungrateful," and it's not that im not grateful for what she has given me, i would have prefered it so much more if she had given me a big hug and said "I love you," I cant really talk to my mom about anything, we never really had a close connection or bond, and now i'm older i can see that she doesnt want to make that connection with me, i appreciate that she works and she buys me things and she looks after me, but like it's the little things that i want. For example recently, we had to have injections, and im like reeeeallly scared of injections, and my mom was there while i had it, and i started to cry, and all she could say was "oh just grow up," then i glanced over the room and saw another mother, huggging her daughter who was my age, and i cried more, cause that just how i wanted it to be.

When people say "who do you prefer your mom or your dad" i used to say my dad, because my dad did show me a lot of love and tell me that he loved me and give me hugs, and buy me nice things. But then i only go over there once a month, and he claims that he is working all the time, and so cant see me and my brother as often. I used to love my dad so much, that i'd believe everything he said. So when he told me he had to two jobs, and he talked about them in so much detail i believed him fully, but then when i was sticking up for him and told my mom that he couldnt look after us because he had two jobs, she told me he was lying. since him and my mom have split up, he's been seeing other women, but he never tells me that he is seeing the women he just says "we're friends" but single men dont have friends stay the night. then i was on a social networking site and this girl added me, and she started to talk to me as if i knew her, and i was like who is this then she was like : Your dad's girlfriends daughter. I felt so empty at that very moment. He's my own dad, and he couldnt think to tell me. I thought we had such a close bond, but obviously i was wrong, and he doesnt care about me. I was looking at his facebook page and i realised that he has been cheating on all of the previous girlfriends he has had. I dont want a father who i cant trust and who openly lies to his own daughter. I dont know him any more.

Please help me and tell me what to do, this is such a bad time for me right now.

ReputationRep:
    Oh man - wow.

I suppose what you should do is call that free service called Childline. It's better to get free expert advice, rather than some advice from youths on an internet forum.

The number's 0800 1111 (may have changed so google it)

ReputationRep:
    Try sitting down with your mum and telling her exactly how you feel. If you find it difficult to speak face to face, it may sound odd but a letter may help. Don't tell her you hate her just say that you really wish you could be closer to her and the things that get you down. I think you do love her and in many ways she does love you, but she has difficulty showing her emotions: sometimes its the people we should be closest to who we can't speak to about personal things. Try and get her to open up to you.

With your dad tell him you felt hurt that he didn't tell you about his jobs and the women he's been seeing.

I'm sorry you're so down: Childline like mr. qwerty suggested may be an idea. Don't let it get too overwhelming though. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Just because your mum never says she loves you or gives you hugs, it doesn't mean that she doesn't love you. I never say I love you to my family and I can't actually remember my parents saying it to me. It's not because we don't love each other, it's just one of those things that you don't need to say, you just know. I think in your case though, you do need to hear it. People express their feelings in different ways. Some of my friends say I love you to their parents every time they leave the house or put down the phone, or kiss each other etc. My parents aren't openly affectionate, but that's just the way they are, they show they care in other ways and I'd guess your mum does as well. Different families have different ways of relating to each other, but it doesn't mean they love each other any less.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Right, please only give positive responces, i dont want to read any "Grow up" or anything like that. At the moment i hate my parents. People say hate is a strong word and that you cant hate your parents, but i do, i hate them so so so so much. They make my world a misery. But in a wierd way, as much as i hate them i love them. I dont think that they love me. so i guess i hate them for not loving me.

Firstly my parents are separated, and i spend one weekend a month at my dad's house and i live with my mom. I dont know why my parents split up, i never felt confident enough to ask, and when i did ask my mom once, she said "Why do you need to know that" and gave me a look which said "dont ask me this again" I'm 15 by the way.

My mom, doesn't love me. People would say she does, and when i told her that she doesn't she said "Dont be stupid," but like she'll get me nice clothes and take me out to places and give me things if i want them, but she has never ever once said "I love you," or given me a hug. At Chrismas's and birthday's she'll lavish me with wonderful gifts, and then when i don't act pleased, she'll be all like "why are you being so ungrateful," and it's not that im not grateful for what she has given me, i would have prefered it so much more if she had given me a big hug and said "I love you," I cant really talk to my mom about anything, we never really had a close connection or bond, and now i'm older i can see that she doesnt want to make that connection with me, i appreciate that she works and she buys me things and she looks after me, but like it's the little things that i want. For example recently, we had to have injections, and im like reeeeallly scared of injections, and my mom was there while i had it, and i started to cry, and all she could say was "oh just grow up," then i glanced over the room and saw another mother, huggging her daughter who was my age, and i cried more, cause that just how i wanted it to be.

When people say "who do you prefer your mom or your dad" i used to say my dad, because my dad did show me a lot of love and tell me that he loved me and give me hugs, and buy me nice things. But then i only go over there once a month, and he claims that he is working all the time, and so cant see me and my brother as often. I used to love my dad so much, that i'd believe everything he said. So when he told me he had to two jobs, and he talked about them in so much detail i believed him fully, but then when i was sticking up for him and told my mom that he couldnt look after us because he had two jobs, she told me he was lying. since him and my mom have split up, he's been seeing other women, but he never tells me that he is seeing the women he just says "we're friends" but single men dont have friends stay the night. then i was on a social networking site and this girl added me, and she started to talk to me as if i knew her, and i was like who is this then she was like : Your dad's girlfriends daughter. I felt so empty at that very moment. He's my own dad, and he couldnt think to tell me. I thought we had such a close bond, but obviously i was wrong, and he doesnt care about me. I was looking at his facebook page and i realised that he has been cheating on all of the previous girlfriends he has had. I dont want a father who i cant trust and who openly lies to his own daughter. I dont know him any more.

Please help me and tell me what to do, this is such a bad time for me right now.
    It'll be something stemming from her own childhood, I imagine. She probably does love you; saying the words doesn'y make it any more true than not. Some people have trouble acting in that way. They love you, but aren't able to hug people or tell them they love them.

As for your dad; he's definitely very unwise.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.