Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone :woo:
    On this page it says that both the 3-year and 4-year courses include 'the possibility of studying a non-physics subject'. I was wondering what exactly these 'non-physics subjects' were - it mentions on this page that these come from other physical sciences.

I'd love to know what these were exactly, as if they included chemistry, I'd seriously consider applying to Oxford instead of Natural Sciences at Cambridge :hubba:.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/teach/UG...oks/Course.pdf - page 25 gives the list of standard Short Options. There seems to be nothing in Chemistry as such, though it hints that you could possibly get special permission to do a Chemistry paper. I wouldn't bank on it, however.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know of anyone who has done such a thing, I know a few people do the History and Philosophy of Science option but apart from the Short Options (which are all physics-y) there's not really any choice in the course for the first two/three years (depending on whether you're doing the 3 or 4 year course).

ReputationRep:
    There are a few language options on offer, I think they take the place of a short option.

I seriously doubt the possibility of taking a chemistry paper.

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of doing a Chem paper. You can do a second short option in your second year instead of half your labs, and I think something similar in third year. Options available include teaching physics in schools, or a language.

Even if there was a chem option, it would only be a short - nowhere near as much as you would do in Natural Sciences. Short options are just something on the side.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.