Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Im in quite massive amounts of debt. I dont want to go into the reasons why, but its to do with a big family problem and becoming kind of head of the household in both emotional and financial roles and having to pick up the pieces of my parents financial wreck.

I have a small income of about £200 per month which is from all the hours i can fit in. But it doesnt even crack the surface once ive paid for living costs and such.

I wrote to the places i have the biggest debts with explaining the situation and asking to pay a set amount per month, they were small amounts at between £10 and £70 per month, but i had to be realisitic. However i got letters back saying they couldnt accept this and it was a matter of days before i was getting letters demanding repayments. The debts have kind of all got to the stage where they want all of it or they are threatening further action. Im scared that i cant get out of this at all. My best isnt good enough so i cant do anything more.

I had depression earlier in the year which was partly to do with finances and other stuff going on at the same time. I can feel it happening again and i cant let it.

I dont know what to do. I literaley have no more money per month that i can offer these people.

What should i do? I need some advice, no one at home can help and im ashamed to tell friends

Hi.

It's important to remember that you aren't alone. Several people in the UK are facing the same or similar situations. If you haven't already, you can visit the Citizens Advice Bureau (http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/), they'll be best suited to advise you on what steps to take next.

I appreciate that it's a sensitive issue, and you feel you are unable to confront anyone about it. But it's vital not to keep it bottled up. Do you still live with your parents? If you do, are you able to explain the extent of the situation to them? It's better to make them aware of the situation, than have the bailiffs at the door etc.

It's good you've approached the debt collection agencies to remedy the issue. It's important to keep a dialogue with them, the more you keep in touch, the less likely they are going to press for CCJ etc.

I must stress, PLEASE don't be tempted to consolidate your finances. In most cases, you'll end up owing more than you started with. It may be nice to get certain companies off of your back, but you'll inevitably end up in the same situation.

Can I ask, what sort of debt are you in? Personal Loans, Credit Card, Catalogue Debts?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You should talk to someone at the CAB about your debts, they will be able to advise you about what to do and possibly negotiate smaller repayments with the people you owe.

Also, it would be a good idea to see your GP about how you are feeling. They may want to give you medication or refer you for counselling, which could help your depression.

Talking to your friends might help you, there is nothing shameful about your situation. You never know, they might have some great advice for you. At the very least, they will listen and if you tell them you will probably feel less alone.

ReputationRep:
    These

My mum has used the Consumer Credit Counselling Service to help her with her debts. They give free impartial advice and negotiate with your creditors/banks etc to make sure that you are repaying them at a rate that you can afford.

Speak to the Citizens Advice Bureau too to see what they say. And go to your GP for help.

I wish you well

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.