Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Every professional athlete is on roids... Watch

ReputationRep:
    ...or some other kind of performance enhancing drug. They don't show up on tests because they use the most sophisticated masking agents that money can afford.

This was the view of my old sports/biology teacher that did performance enhancing drugs HIMSELF (for volleyball hahahahahahahha)

He had seemingly random phases of psychosis too. But that's not important.

Anyway, what do you fitness people think of this? He sure as hell is a lot more knowledgable (and experienced) than all of you. So don't scoff at his opinion. If you think about it, it makes sense...

ReputationRep:
    Probably not all but quite possibly most of them are. Nobody really knows.

ReputationRep:
    Lol firstly i think you want to change your very bold and obviously false thread title, it's a fact that not every professional athlete is on steriods.
    But I can imagine there are a fair few more than people think with all the masking agents available to athletes these days

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe that for a minute I'm afraid and I will scoff at the opinion of someone who uses them to probably play volleyball at his local leisure centre and suffers from random phases of psychosis. Some of them are on drugs, as it is at the moment 4 rugby players are currently serving bans 2 from union and 2 from league (boots n'all sky sports if anyone is so pedantic to question where I got it from). Would a protein shake or bottle of lucozade be classed as some kind of "performance enhancing drug"?

ReputationRep:
    I imagine the vast majority are - the fact that those who aren't caught for doping can be competetive with those who are suggests a few possibilities:

1. Those doping are taking insignificant amounts of PEDs so they don't get enough benefit to be obviously better than natural athletes.
    2. Only those who are naturally poorer athletes take PEDs.
    3. Of the top athletes, most are on PEDs but many don't get caught.

The first option is pretty implausible as it defeats the point of PEDs in the first place. The second is so statistically unlikely it's unreal - at some point a guy who is naturally in the top handful will have been on PEDs and would have distinguished himself from the pack in an obvious way. That leaves the third option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigman_ben)
    I don't believe that for a minute I'm afraid and I will scoff at the opinion of someone who uses them to probably play volleyball at his local leisure centre and suffers from random phases of psychosis. Some of them are on drugs, as it is at the moment 4 rugby players are currently serving bans 2 from union and 2 from league (boots n'all sky sports if anyone is so pedantic to question where I got it from). Would a protein shake or bottle of lucozade be classed as some kind of "performance enhancing drug"?
    What on earth is the deal with your last point? Don't be an idiot.

If you want to know about drugs in rugby, talk to Powerlifter who's seen first hand that most players are on PEDs.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was pretty well known that a lot, if not most, are using.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    What on earth is the deal with your last point? Don't be an idiot.

If you want to know about drugs in rugby, talk to Powerlifter who's seen first hand that most players are on PEDs.
    I'm not being an idiot I'm more questioning the point that the OP is suggesting that every professional sports person is on drugs which they aren't.
    I'm certainly not denying that drugs aren't around in rugby or any other sport that requires you to be big to succeed, I've mentioned people being banned already and others must be at it, drugs tests are random and it just depends whether you get picked or not and a lot must have slipped the net and others, if they aren't taking them now have in the past.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it... or when it comes to football, I just cant see it, they aren't overly developed in any area, none are overly muscular, if they;re on roids, they better got on some that do the job properly.

ReputationRep:
    they are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luca118)
    I doubt it... or when it comes to football, I just cant see it, they aren't overly developed in any area, none are overly muscular, if they;re on roids, they better got on some that do the job properly.
    EPO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    EPO
    Pardon? :confused:

Truefacts.

ReputationRep:
    again...

just don't think PED means steroids, there are other illict stuff out there

and it's not all about just size, it's about better performance /recovering faster

from: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/mar/31/football.sport

eleven top European footballers who have tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs IGOR SHALIMOV (Russian striker - Napoli).
    FERNANDO COUTO (Portuguese defender - ex-Barcelona, now Lazio).
    STEFANO TORRISI (Italian defender - ex-Atlético Madrid and Parma, now Marseille).
    FRANK DE BOER. (Dutch defender - ex-Ajax, now Barcelona)
    CHRISTOPHE DUGARRY (French striker - ex-Marseille and Barcelona, now Bordeaux).
    PETR KOUBA (Czech goalkeeper - ex-Deportivo La Coruna and Kaiserslautern, now Jablonec).
    RODRIGO RAMOS (Brazilian defender - AEK Athens).
    EDGAR DAVIDS (Dutch midfielder - ex-AC Milan, now Juventus).
    THEO ZAGORAKIS (Greek midfielder - ex-Leicester City, now AEK Athens).
    JAAP STAM (Dutch defender - ex-Manchester United, now Lazio).
    JOSEP GUARDIOLA (Spanish midfielder - ex-Barcelona, now Brescia).

ReputationRep:
    Pardon?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/3726928.stm

The drug helps increase the red blood cell count, therefore increasing the body's ability to carry oxygen and improve endurance.

ReputationRep:
    Stuff like growth hormone is pretty popular because alot of places dont test for it as its a pretty costly procedure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    again...

just don't think PED means steroids, there are other illict stuff out there

and it's not all about just size, it's about better performance /recovering faster

from: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/mar/31/football.sport

eleven top European footballers who have tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs IGOR SHALIMOV (Russian striker - Napoli).
    FERNANDO COUTO (Portuguese defender - ex-Barcelona, now Lazio).
    STEFANO TORRISI (Italian defender - ex-Atlético Madrid and Parma, now Marseille).
    FRANK DE BOER. (Dutch defender - ex-Ajax, now Barcelona)
    CHRISTOPHE DUGARRY (French striker - ex-Marseille and Barcelona, now Bordeaux).
    PETR KOUBA (Czech goalkeeper - ex-Deportivo La Coruna and Kaiserslautern, now Jablonec).
    RODRIGO RAMOS (Brazilian defender - AEK Athens).
    EDGAR DAVIDS (Dutch midfielder - ex-AC Milan, now Juventus).
    THEO ZAGORAKIS (Greek midfielder - ex-Leicester City, now AEK Athens).
    JAAP STAM (Dutch defender - ex-Manchester United, now Lazio).
    JOSEP GUARDIOLA (Spanish midfielder - ex-Barcelona, now Brescia).
    Ah right, nice, but surely they would have found away to test past the chemicals that hide everything?

The only recent scandal I can think of is Rio Ferdinand a few years back, so they must have got really really good at covering their tracks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barton1)
    Stuff like growth hormone is pretty popular because alot of places dont test for it as its a pretty costly procedure
    Is growth hormone illegal? It's common knowledge Messi moved to Barca providing they paid for his growth hormone treatment?

ReputationRep:
    Most athletes use supplements but it doesn't mean they all use steroids.

ReputationRep:
    Is growth hormone illegal? It's common knowledge Messi moved to Barca providing they paid for his growth hormone treatment?
    yes, but no existing test to prove it's use since its a hormone created by your own body and exogenous GH doesn't show up as different.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.