Turn on thread page Beta

Every professional athlete is on roids... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luca118)
    Ah right, nice, but surely they would have found away to test past the chemicals that hide everything?

The only recent scandal I can think of is Rio Ferdinand a few years back, so they must have got really really good at covering their tracks.
    the drugs come before the tests

there are masking agents

and half-lifes to consider.

being tested clean, doesn't mean you never used it, it means either the test didn't pick it up or it's passed thru ur system but the gains from it may remain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    yes, but no existing test to prove it's use since its a hormone created by your own body and exogenous GH doesn't show up as different.
    So how come they allowed Messi to take it? Unless they did it on medical grounds like they did for that guy in the EPO article on BBC, cause he was one small fella.

Ah he was diagnosed with the deficiency when he was playing Argentina, so he was entitled to the treatment, FIFA still weren't happy about it though.

ReputationRep:
    So how come they allowed Messi to take it? Unless they did it on medical grounds like they did for that guy in the EPO article on BBC, cause he was one small fella.
    well...

1. certain things are legal for use, but illegal by the governing body
    2. with growth, there is no 'baseline normal figure' so you can always make the argument someone is 'deficient'

ReputationRep:
    I think it's likely that stuff like autologous blood transfusions (re-injecting your own stored blood to boost oxgen takeup and recovery) are used pretty extensively and there isn't an effective test for it yet.

Those at the centre of the Operation Puerto investigation (bags of blood found in a spanish clinic with athletes names on them) said that it wasn't just cyclists who were involved - there were athletes, tennis players and top level footballers as well. The wife of the doctor who was doing the extracting/transfusing said that she could "bring down sport" with what she knew. Unsurprisingly only cyclists have been named/shamed/banned so far. I think there's enough money in the other sports to keep it hushed up.

ReputationRep:
    You know roids make your skin yellow?

You know black people's skin wont be as affected by this?

You know masking agents mean that the only sign of taking roids is yellow pigment?

Do you think this means blacks can take more roids and get away with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Navras)
    You know roids make your skin yellow?

You know black people's skin wont be as affected by this?

You know masking agents mean that the only sign of taking roids is yellow pigment?

Do you think this means blacks can take more roids and get away with it?
    LOL

FO REAL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    1. Those doping are taking insignificant amounts of PEDs so they don't get enough benefit to be obviously better than natural athletes.
    2. Only those who are naturally poorer athletes take PEDs.
    3. Of the top athletes, most are on PEDs but many don't get caught.

The first option is pretty implausible as it defeats the point of PEDs in the first place. The second is so statistically unlikely it's unreal - at some point a guy who is naturally in the top handful will have been on PEDs and would have distinguished himself from the pack in an obvious way. That leaves the third option.
    Wouldn't the threat of distinguishing yourself from the pack act as a deterrant to those at the top to refrain from taking PEDs?

ReputationRep:
    LOL

FO REAL?
    I dunno. Hopefully. It kind of disturbs me that an entire race could be GENETICALLY more physically fit than me. Though I do understand the biology if this is the case. HARSHER CONDITIONS IN AFRICA BLAH BLAH BLAH NATURAL SELECTION BLAH BLAH BLAH.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it... or when it comes to football, I just cant see it, they aren't overly developed in any area, none are overly muscular, if they;re on roids, they better got on some that do the job properly.
    It's a common misconception that doping is all about size. Consider how skinny professional road cyclists are and the extent to which doping is prevalent there.

ReputationRep:

Ah he was diagnosed with the deficiency when he was playing Argentina, so he was entitled to the treatment, FIFA still weren't happy about it though.
    Because Messi had GH deficiency, he was medically ill. Very short and not much bodily development. Most people that are GH deficent can't get GH because it's bloody expensive. It was on medical grounds they did it on. Messi is very short and not built, that's with him taking the GH to acheive the maximum growth he could possibly get. It doesn't have any effect on him either way, he stopped treatment years ago as a teenager and it only gave him the opportunity to grow like everyone else. Don't understand why FIFA were unhappy about it though, hundres of children across the world get this treatment and it's a problem for a 12 year old Argentine because he plays football when it doesn't give him an advantage?

again...

just don't think PED means steroids, there are other illict stuff out there

and it's not all about just size, it's about better performance /recovering faster

from: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2002/mar/31/football.sport

eleven top European footballers who have tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs IGOR SHALIMOV (Russian striker - Napoli).
    FERNANDO COUTO (Portuguese defender - ex-Barcelona, now Lazio).
    STEFANO TORRISI (Italian defender - ex-Atlético Madrid and Parma, now Marseille).
    FRANK DE BOER. (Dutch defender - ex-Ajax, now Barcelona)
    CHRISTOPHE DUGARRY (French striker - ex-Marseille and Barcelona, now Bordeaux).
    PETR KOUBA (Czech goalkeeper - ex-Deportivo La Coruna and Kaiserslautern, now Jablonec).
    RODRIGO RAMOS (Brazilian defender - AEK Athens).
    EDGAR DAVIDS (Dutch midfielder - ex-AC Milan, now Juventus).
    THEO ZAGORAKIS (Greek midfielder - ex-Leicester City, now AEK Athens).
    JAAP STAM (Dutch defender - ex-Manchester United, now Lazio).
    JOSEP GUARDIOLA (Spanish midfielder - ex-Barcelona, now Brescia). .
    He was cleared of all charges on 23 October 2007, six years after his ban. The body can produce it naturally but it's an extremely tiny quantity being present for only a minute or so, some people can produce more than others and that was a factor in this case.

ReputationRep:
    Why Does Nobody Care About My Negro Theory!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigman_ben)
    I'm not being an idiot I'm more questioning the point that the OP is suggesting that every professional sports person is on drugs which they aren't.
    I'm certainly not denying that drugs aren't around in rugby or any other sport that requires you to be big to succeed, I've mentioned people being banned already and others must be at it, drugs tests are random and it just depends whether you get picked or not and a lot must have slipped the net and others, if they aren't taking them now have in the past.
    Indeed I have first hand experience, I played rugby at a professional level and we were supplied with PEDs in the form of steriods, mood enhancers, stimulants etc

ReputationRep:
    He sure as hell is a lot more knowledgable (and experienced) than all of you. So don't scoff at his opinion. If you think about it, it makes sense...
    Nope, I don't scoff at the opinion, but I do at the knowledge and experience from a vollyball player.

Here it is:

Scoff!

ReputationRep:
    My old PE teacher used to claim to get above county level you had to be on drugs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    My old PE teacher used to claim to get above county level you had to be on drugs.
    pretty horrible teacher then...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    I wouldn't say county level of most sports is that good anyway. Defo not drug requiring!

ReputationRep:
    I should think most of them are.

ReputationRep:
    Why Does Nobody Care About My Negro Theory!
    you're a ****. **** off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Nope, I don't scoff at the opinion, but I do at the knowledge and experience from a professional vollyball player.

Here it is:

I'm a douche!
    fix'd

ReputationRep:
    fix'd
    Thanks, now when pro vollyball beocmes as big as Pro rugby he can come and be un scoffed at by me

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.