Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Every professional athlete is on roids... Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been a fulltime triathlete the last two years and haven't taken any PED's. I'm not racing elite, but not far off. My training buddies (of which two are elite) are clean to the best of my knowledge (lived with one so I think I would have found something dodgy). There are people competing clean, but its definitely a problem in top level sport. Nobody has been busted at this year's tour, but we're not out of the woods on that one yet. Reckon a few names will come up in the next few months, but hopefully none of the big guns like contador, armstrong, wiggins or cav.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ironmike)
    I've been a fulltime triathlete the last two years and haven't taken any PED's. I'm not racing elite, but not far off. My training buddies (of which two are elite) are clean to the best of my knowledge (lived with one so I think I would have found something dodgy). There are people competing clean, but its definitely a problem in top level sport. Nobody has been busted at this year's tour, but we're not out of the woods on that one yet. Reckon a few names will come up in the next few months, but hopefully none of the big guns like contador, armstrong, wiggins or cav.
    Big guns?

ReputationRep:
    I think there will be a lot that goes under the radar, but do not imagine athletes such as Bolt, Hoy, Phelps or Idowu take any. Saying that here have been a few suprises over the last 7-8 whereby athletes I thought did not take them have, but innocent until proven guilty and I would like to think that my fave sports stars achieve what they do through talent, rather than avec the aid of drugs. So I will keep on having that possible disillusion!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Navras)
    You know roids make your skin yellow?

You know black people's skin wont be as affected by this?

You know masking agents mean that the only sign of taking roids is yellow pigment?

Do you think this means blacks can take more roids and get away with it?
    Is this something you learned from your teacher who sure as hell is a lot more knowledgable (and experienced) than all of you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    Is this something you learned from your teacher who sure as hell is a lot more knowledgable (and experienced) than all of you?
    No I just thought of it. Pretty clever eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    Just don't bother with this clown, he should be ignored. Literally.

ReputationRep:
    No I just thought of it. Pretty clever eh?
    Ah... no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luca118)
    So how come they allowed Messi to take it? Unless they did it on medical grounds like they did for that guy in the EPO article on BBC, cause he was one small fella.

Ah he was diagnosed with the deficiency when he was playing Argentina, so he was entitled to the treatment, FIFA still weren't happy about it though.
    The key points to consider are that

1. GH is only one of many hormones which can be said to affect growth, others such as insulin-like growth factors, thyroid hormones,
    androgens, oestrogens,glucocorticoids, and insulin itself.

2. As a child, because Messi's Ephyseal plates had not fused the effects of GH would have primary caused the extension of long bonds and connective tissues which surround them. As an adult whose bones have stopped growing, the effects of GH take a dangerous turn because in high doses they can cause diabetogenic symptoms and acromegaly. - That's probably why they were frowned upon by FIFA (if that is the case which I doubt). Messi would not have gained a competitive advantage, because not only was the GH increased from deficient to a monitored, safe level - but the effects would have mainly concerned bone in any case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    2. with growth, there is no 'baseline normal figure' so you can always make the argument someone is 'deficient'
    If a 12 year old is 3ft 2 and not producing any GH, then you can.

If a 12 year old is 6ft 2 and producing shedloads, I find it difficult to believe that you can argue they are 'deficient'. Just because it isn't possible to accurate predict a persons height from birth doesn't mean that there is no 'baseline normal fugue' or a set of guidelines which enable you to argue that a person isn't growing properly.

ReputationRep:
    Alot are, there was a guy on other forums full of serious roiders who advised athletes in Olympics posting about all the different shite they take for different aspects of performance.

Even in events like shooting at Olympics they take downers to stop the shakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)
    Alot are, there was a guy on other forums full of serious roiders who advised athletes in Olympics posting about all the different shite they take for different aspects of performance.

and they should be testing for things like downers too...wouldn't surprise me if some darts and snooker players used beta-blockers and what-not. As far as I'm concerned this is performance-enhancing, unacceptable in the sporting context and shouldn't be allowed.

ReputationRep:
    He had seemingly random phases of psychosis too. But that's not important.
    If it's not important, why mention it? :confused:

As for the topic, I reckon you're probably right, but who gives a ****? They're the ones who'll suffer for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Indeed I have first hand experience, I played rugby at a professional level and we were supplied with PEDs in the form of steriods, mood enhancers, stimulants etc
    How widespread would you venture a guess that this is common practice in professional rugby? Are the taking of PEDs actively encouraged? And how is it, if it is widespread, few players seem to get caught in tests?

(Original post by Hylean)
    As for the topic, I reckon you're probably right, but who gives a ****?
    PED testers, the media, fans...

How can higher level sport ever hope to be made more accessible if top genetics, PEDs and countless hours of training are pretty much necessary to compete at that level?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luca118)
    I doubt it... or when it comes to football, I just cant see it, they aren't overly developed in any area, none are overly muscular, if they;re on roids, they better got on some that do the job properly.
    not all PEDs are designed to make you muscular, look at cyclists many of them juice but it's not to become more muscular

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exppex)
    1ow widespread would you venture a guess that this is common practice in professional rugby?
    2:Are the taking of PEDs actively encouraged?
    3:And how is it, if it is widespread, few players seem to get caught in tests?
    1: Almost every player
    2: In a fashion
    3: Masking agents, tip offs for testing and that sport earns so much money that they can get away with it and anti doping is not as rigid as they make out.

Who wants to see a 100m sprint in 12 seconds eh! But a 9.5 scond sprint will draw a crowd and as such money.

Just don't upset the establishment, then you somehow get caught

ReputationRep:
    3: Masking agents, tip offs for testing and that sport earns so much money that they can get away with it and anti doping is not as rigid as they make out.

Who wants to see a 100m sprint in 12 seconds eh! But a 9.5 scond sprint will draw a crowd and as such money.

lulz

ben johnson must've pissed someone off royally

ReputationRep:

Pretty much thought so myself, but always wanted others opinions to confirm my suspicions. I've still got tons of respect for the players competing at any high level of sport anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Big guns?
    Terrible genetics- short muscle belly and long tendons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)

Got a link to that? Would be interesting to read.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it never ceases to amaze me the naivety of some people.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.