Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello.

Is anyone here doing Italian at Cardiff?

If so, could you help me here please?

Do you enjoy the course? And what are the modules like/based on most (e.g. literature, film etc.)?

Where are the possible locations in Italy for the year abroad?
    Call me stupid but I can't find very much information about this on the website.

Finally, is there any possibilities of trying other courses while there?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Three of my future housemates are doing Italian next year, so I should be able to help a little.

As far as I gather, they really enjoy the course. It's taught really well, the amount they've learnt from scratch in a year is really impressive. In the first year, you'll do a Language Module and "Introduction to Italy post-1945". This will lead on to further modules in literature, culture and history with the possibility of doing Europe-based modules as well as just Italian ones.

In your third year, you either go to a partner university (Milan, Pavia, Parma, Pisa, Salerno, and Catania), or work as a English Language assistant in a school.

You can find very in depth information here:
    http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/euros/degre...ian/index.html

Finally, as a BA student you'll pick two extra subjects in your first year (or one extra if you're doing a joint Italian + Something degree), which means that at the end of the third year you can stick with your original degree programme (dropping the extra subjects), change to a Joint degree programme (so there's a 50/50 split between Italian and something else), or even drop Italian entirely and take on one of the other subjects (or both of them) as your degree programme.

If you want any more information other than what I've told you or what's on the website, just ask, I can track it down for you easily.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for that.

Even though Cardiff seems to have lower requirements than other places, it seems really good. I think the main thing putting me off are the locations for the year abroad. I'd ideally like to go somewhere like Siena, Florence or Verona.

Do you know how many hours you'd do per week on the Italian (in this case as the main subject), and how many you would do in the other subjects you pick up? I will have an A level in it, if that makes a difference.

Also, do you know how many people do the course? And finally, how much flexibility is there in choosing the extra subjects? In terms of how different the course could be, if you understand what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    And finally, how much flexibility is there in choosing the extra subjects? In terms of how different the course could be, if you understand what I mean.
    http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/for/prospec...20p124-144.pdf
    If you look at page 7 of this section of the prospectus it explains how you choose your extra subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    Thank you for that.

Even though Cardiff seems to have lower requirements than other places, it seems really good. I think the main thing putting me off are the locations for the year abroad. I'd ideally like to go somewhere like Siena, Florence or Verona.

Do you know how many hours you'd do per week on the Italian (in this case as the main subject), and how many you would do in the other subjects you pick up? I will have an A level in it, if that makes a difference.

Also, do you know how many people do the course? And finally, how much flexibility is there in choosing the extra subjects? In terms of how different the course could be, if you understand what I mean.
    I imagine it would be about 4-7 hours per week per subject, depending on how many lectures/seminars/classes you get per module. I don't think it makes a difference if you have an A Level or not, although obviously you'll be doing more advanced stuff if you do, and after the first year your course won't be so intensive because they'll want to bring the beginners up to the same level as you.

You can do almost any other Humanities subjects as your extra options. Music, French, German, Psychology, Philosophy, English, Geography, Economics, Cultural Criticism, Politics, Education... you name it! However, you can't do Sociology & Anthropology, some of the History Modules, and Medieval & Renaissance Literature because they clash with Italian.

ReputationRep:
    Also, if you wanted to go to a specific place in Italy, you could always be an assistant in a school. Plenty of people do that, and if you work it out properly you won't be on your own.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting thread. I am considering Italian as one of my extra subjects in first year, and was originally going to apply for joint hons Itlaian.

OP, Cardiff was the same for me, with it's weirdly low grade requirements, it seemed too good to be true. But I am convinced that it's the best uni, and especially well balanced.

Good luck with the decision!

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, Italian sounds like such a brilliant course! I still don't know what I'll do for my third subject, here is another to consider... Do you have to have done it at A Level?

ReputationRep:
    Some of my (male) friends took a few Itaian modules in their first term on top of theirdegree [to make up points] and apparently there is an absolutely gorgeous lecturer (female).

..Strangely enough, that's all I know about the course as that's all they spoke about =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredscarecrow)
    Some of my (male) friends took a few Itaian modules in their first term on top of theirdegree [to make up points] and apparently there is an absolutely gorgeous lecturer (female).

..Strangely enough, that's all I know about the course as that's all they spoke about =/
    :awesome: that settles in then :thumbsup:

:p:

ReputationRep:
    Some of the Italian lecturers are complete nutcases, but in a funny way. Also, in typical Italian fashion, the whole department is hilariously disorganised and ignores any and all university protocol they don't agree with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    Some of the Italian lecturers are complete nutcases, but in a funny way. Also, in typical Italian fashion, the whole department is hilariously disorganised and ignores any and all university protocol they don't agree with.
    I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not
    Although I am severley disorganised and slightly haphazard, so I might well fit in.

The whole place and course just look great.

I'm looking into transport for the next open day (11th September I think) and I'm not sure if I should look into staying overnight or not.

ReputationRep:

[I have Italian family and that does sound like an Italian way of doing things. I'm half surprised they don't break for Gelato or cream filled pastries halfway through the lectures....:yep: ]

ReputationRep:
    I've just completed the first year of Italian. It all depends on your starting level - if you have already done an A-level, you do the 'Advanced' language module, whereas others take the 'beginners'.

As someone mentioned above, the department is quite disorganized. In fact, the prospectus is full of innaccuracies (it seems to be outdated by several years in fact). The *compulsory* module "Introduction to Italy post-1945" is in reality a brief history of Europe from about 400AD onwards...

If you want to know more, please message me
    And well done for doing your research before applying. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredscarecrow)

[I have Italian family and that does sound like an Italian way of doing things. I'm half surprised they don't break for Gelato or cream filled pastries halfway through the lectures....:yep: ]
    Two Cow Capitalism

"ITALIAN CORPORATION
    You have two cows, but you don't know where they are. You break for lunch. Life is good."

ReputationRep:
    To do beginner's Italian, it says you need at least a B in an A-Level Language. I have a B in AS-Level French, and am considering doing it as an extra - do you think I'd get in? (I'm also thinking it might be too hard anyway, but there's no point in looking further into it if they wouldn't let me on the course...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siana17)
    To do beginner's Italian, it says you need at least a B in an A-Level Language. I have a B in AS-Level French, and am considering doing it as an extra - do you think I'd get in? (I'm also thinking it might be too hard anyway, but there's no point in looking further into it if they wouldn't let me on the course...)
    It's not that much of an oversubscribed option to be honest, so you might just get lucky. But turn up early on Enrolment day.

ReputationRep:
    Two Cow Capitalism

"ITALIAN CORPORATION
    You have two cows, but you don't know where they are. You break for lunch. Life is good."
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siana17)
    I'd definitely give it a try if I were you - I applied to do Spanish and Italian with Spanish just at AS (as in, I'd only have the AS not the A level by the time I started uni), and I got onto the course. And I didn't have any other language qualifications like Spanish speaking family or having spent time in a spanish-speaking country or anything.

Just stress how enthusiastic you are about doing Italian and maybe they'll take a liking to you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.