Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gaining muscle and lose fat at the same time? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ahoy-hoy,

My friend just told me that it's physically impossible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. (i'm not refferring to the 'conversion' of muscle to fat and vice versa) He says that because muscle is an energy store, like fat, if you do cardio you will also burn the calories from your muscles and effectively stunt your muscle growth. likewise, if you wish to gain muscle you must have a high calorie intake (as well as high protein intake) and will effectively gain fat.

I always thought that, cardio excercise accesses the energy from your carbs, fat and then uses muscle as a 'final resort' (e.g. your stomach is starving). so assuming u have the correct diet and regime, cardio will burn off fat and not affect ur muscle. in other words, your fat and muscle are independent to each other - you can lose one and gain the other at the same time.

I would like to hear your thoughts please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arabassist)
    Ahoy-hoy,

My friend just told me that it's physically impossible to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. (i'm not refferring to the 'conversion' of muscle to fat and vice versa) He says that because muscle is an energy store, like fat, if you do cardio you will also burn the calories from your muscles and effectively stunt your muscle growth. likewise, if you wish to gain muscle you must have a high calorie intake (as well as high protein intake) and will effectively gain fat.

I always thought that, cardio excercise accesses the energy from your carbs, fat and then uses muscle as a 'final resort' (e.g. your stomach is starving). so assuming u have the correct diet and regime, cardio will burn off fat and not affect ur muscle. in other words, your fat and muscle are independent to each other - you can lose one and gain the other at the same time.

I would like to hear your thoughts please
    Your friend is right for the most part.

You are ALWAYS burning off muscle for energy, the only dif is the extent to which you are burning it off. During LISS cardio you are burning off a fair amount, and if you have a calorie deficit, even more. One of the main reasons i would recommend doing weights during a cut, and upping the protein intake, is to maintain the muscle.

And on dirty bulks with a calorie surplus you gain muscle:fat in a 1:1 ratio approximately.

However there is a method of clean bulking where its kinda like losing fat and gaining muscle. but it's very slow.

just google clean and dirty bulk.

ReputationRep:
    i still dont understand that concept tho. surely that means anyone who does lots of running is nothing but bones and hair?

From Jan to March this year i sdid a lot of training (6 times a week) which included a lot of cardio and a fair amount of weight training. i dropped about 3 inches in my waist and generally looked much better - but my weight stayed at 78kg. my assumption was i dropped in fat and gained muscle in equal amounts. i also got a lot fitter if that's relevant.

From march to may/june-ish then i stopped doing taekwondo due to money issues and generally did less cardio - i also ate sh** loads of food so i was no way in calorie deficit. i also did more weights. i got much fatter and didn't notice any muscle gain. in june i resumed taekwondo and ate more sensibly. i havent noticed a drop of fat, but my coach and my friends say i have. tho ive definetly noticed gain in muscle - i can lift heavier weights aswell. (however my fitness in running is cack right now compared to earlier this year)

ReputationRep:
    i still dont understand that concept tho. surely that means anyone who does lots of running is nothing but bones and hair?

From Jan to March this year i sdid a lot of training (6 times a week) which included a lot of cardio and a fair amount of weight training. i dropped about 3 inches in my waist and generally looked much better - but my weight stayed at 78kg. my assumption was i dropped in fat and gained muscle in equal amounts. i also got a lot fitter if that's relevant.

From march to may/june-ish then i stopped doing taekwondo due to money issues and generally did less cardio - i also ate sh** loads of food so i was no way in calorie deficit. i also did more weights. i got much fatter and didn't notice any muscle gain. in june i resumed taekwondo and ate more sensibly. i havent noticed a drop of fat, but my coach and my friends say i have. tho ive definetly noticed gain in muscle - i can lift heavier weights aswell. (however my fitness in running is cack right now compared to earlier this year)
    When you're a novice, and young, your body is capable of seemingly incredible things. This doesn't last very long at all and is probably attributeable to other factors you haven't yet considered.

The fact is, trying to lose weight and increase muscle mass is such an inefficient process that no one really does it that way. It's stupid and a waste of time leading to nowhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Rippetoe)
    When you're a novice, and young, your body is capable of seemingly incredible things. This doesn't last very long at all and is probably attributeable to other factors you haven't yet considered.

The fact is, trying to lose weight and increase muscle mass is such an inefficient process that no one really does it that way. It's stupid and a waste of time leading to nowhere.
    ok so what about maintaining muscle mass and losing fat?

To be honest I think I'll be happy with the little bit of muscle I have (my chest is getting too big for someone my height i think) if i could lose some fatty-ness and see my muscles more clearly

is that possible?

ReputationRep:
    ok so what about maintaining muscle mass and losing fat?

To be honest I think I'll be happy with the little bit of muscle I have (my chest is getting too big for someone my height i think) if i could lose some fatty-ness and see my muscles more clearly

is that possible?
    Of course. You must make sure you are using the muscles though. Give your body a reason to keep them. If you just start reducing calories and running around like a silly stupid marathon runner, you will wither and waste away like a precious dandy-lion.

Carry on with heavy weight training and try to maintain your strength. If your strength is falling too fast then you are losing muscle. If you can lose weight and keep about the same level of strength (which is as much as one could hope for), then you're doing it right.

Remember to still keep your protein up; it's been shown that protein requirements can increase when dieting down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Rippetoe)
    Of course. You must make sure you are using the muscles though. Give your body a reason to keep them. If you just start reducing calories and running around like a silly stupid marathon runner, you will wither and waste away like a precious dandy-lion.

Carry on with heavy weight training and try to maintain your strength. If your strength is falling too fast then you are losing muscle. If you can lose weight and keep about the same level of strength (which is as much as one could hope for), then you're doing it right.

Remember to still keep your protein up; it's been shown that protein requirements can increase when dieting down.
    This, as i said before, on a cut it's encouraged to keep up weight training and up the protein intake, this maximises the potential to keep muscle, weights giving them a reason to stay, and the increased protein diverting the bodys attention from using muscle as energy, to using protein as energy.

ReputationRep:
    oh ok, it sounds more sensizblez to me now :yes:

so would it be reccomended to do cardio on the same day as weight training?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.