Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I don't know how long it's been here for, it seems to come and go. I have asthma so I'm not sure if it's causing it or just making it worse.

Anyway, this cough seems to get worse in the evening or night - it's not that I have to cough, it just feels like there's liquid on my chest/at the top of my lungs. It just doesn't seem to want to go away and I'm not sure what it is or what's causing it.

I don't want to go to the GP incase I catch swine flu and make it even worse... so kinda struggling for ideas.

I've also had a bit of a sore throat that comes and goes, not that bad at all though and could just be from the coughing.

Hmm, won't let me edit. Anyway I forgot to mention I played a rather violent sport on sunday and the cough seemed to get better after that (although it was tough going at first) then yesterday it got worse again. It's driving me mad! I've got another game this sunday and want it gone by then.

ReputationRep:
    Well the collecting fluid at night is most likely to do with the fact that your not moving about and able to clear it aswell as what you are during the day etc.

May be worth phoning NHS direct just in case as it may be slightly irresponsible to go to the doctors at the moment just in case it is swine flu related. If NHS direct suggest it isnt that a visit to the GP could be good, you may have abit of a chest infection.

(Original post by tom_tom_tom)
    Well the collecting fluid at night is most likely to do with the fact that your not moving about and able to clear it aswell as what you are during the day etc.

May be worth phoning NHS direct just in case as it may be slightly irresponsible to go to the doctors at the moment just in case it is swine flu related. If NHS direct suggest it isnt that a visit to the GP could be good, you may have abit of a chest infection.
    There's no pain or anything though and it just generally doesn't seem like a chest infection (I've had bronchitis in the past). I spend most of the day sitting in my room so I'm not moving around much in the day either.

I imagine I'd have more symptoms if it was swine flu... and more severe ones. I really don't want to go to the GP incase I DO catch swine flu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    There's no pain or anything though and it just generally doesn't seem like a chest infection (I've had bronchitis in the past). I spend most of the day sitting in my room so I'm not moving around much in the day either.

I imagine I'd have more symptoms if it was swine flu... and more severe ones. I really don't want to go to the GP incase I DO catch swine flu
    Still swine flu can have alot of different symptoms.

Doctors syrgerys are asking suspect swine flu cases to stay at home for the very reason to protect patients, i would have thought you would be okay, its not really anymore of a risk to go out somwhere else if someone with swine flu is present (if that makes sense)

(Original post by tom_tom_tom)
    Still swine flu can have alot of different symptoms.

Doctors syrgerys are asking suspect swine flu cases to stay at home for the very reason to protect patients, i would have thought you would be okay, its not really anymore of a risk to go out somwhere else if someone with swine flu is present (if that makes sense)
    I've taken my temperature at least twice since the cough started and it was 36.4 and 35.9... doesn't the temp have to be high for swine flu? No matter what other symptoms you have. Either way, if it IS swine flu it'll be too late for the antivirals by now.

Hmm, no one cares again.

ReputationRep:
    Do you, or have you, drink a lot?

ReputationRep:
    It's best to call NHS direct as they will be able to advice you what to do.

ReputationRep:
    It's likely, I emphasise LIKELY that it is a chest infection. I am not a GP however, so go and see someone who is. If it is a chest infection, you will probably be prescribed amoxicyllyn which will remove the infection within a couple of weeks.

(Original post by Joseph90)
    It's likely, I emphasise LIKELY that it is a chest infection. I am not a GP however, so go and see someone who is. If it is a chest infection, you will probably be prescribed amoxicyllyn which will remove the infection within a couple of weeks.
    That involves going into a surgery possibly infested with swine flu though, and surely it'd get worse if I caught that too?

And I don't drink loads at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    lung cancer?

(Original post by nase14_aldayz)
    lung cancer?
    Thanks for that.

ReputationRep:
    And I don't drink loads at the moment.
    But have you recently? A mate of mine had a cough which wasn't contagious and was drinking stupid amounts over the past few weeks. Went to the doctors and got told the acid in his stomach was going back up into his throat which made it sore and gave him a cough. Now he's been prescribed some drugs and is on the mend.

You really need to go to the doctors instead of being paranoid and worrying about swine flu. With the same logic, leaving your house may end up with you getting stabbed, hit by a car or robbed but I'm sure you still leave your house.

(Original post by Irrelevance)
    But have you recently? A mate of mine had a cough which wasn't contagious and was drinking stupid amounts over the past few weeks. Went to the doctors and got told the acid in his stomach was going back up into his throat which made it sore and gave him a cough. Now he's been prescribed some drugs and is on the mend.

You really need to go to the doctors instead of being paranoid and worrying about swine flu. With the same logic, leaving your house may end up with you getting stabbed, hit by a car or robbed but I'm sure you still leave your house.
    I've booked an appointment for later on today but still in two minds about whether to go. I mean, I know that people are told to stay away if they have symptoms, but they were also told to wash their hands and I still see people coming out of a toilet cubicle then wandering back into restaurants to eat with their filthy hands. Point is, I'll have to trust other people's ability to follow common sense.

And yeah I do drink most nights but usually only one beer or so.

ReputationRep:
    I've booked an appointment for later on today but still in two minds about whether to go. I mean, I know that people are told to stay away if they have symptoms, but they were also told to wash their hands and I still see people coming out of a toilet cubicle then wandering back into restaurants to eat with their filthy hands. Point is, I'll have to trust other people's ability to follow common sense.

And yeah I do drink most nights but usually only one beer or so.
    Why do you go on the new swine flu pandemic webiste thingy and got though there symptom checker.
    You might aswell go to the doctor now you have got an appointment.
    Hope your feeling better soon

(Original post by animals)
    Why do you go on the new swine flu pandemic webiste thingy and got though there symptom checker.
    You might aswell go to the doctor now you have got an appointment.
    Hope your feeling better soon
    Well I went to the doctors but unfortunately it was one of those young ones. He said it might be due to acid reflux (I get indigestion quite a bit) but I don't know... it's never been this bad before, and whatever it is, it's setting my asthma off. I'm having to take my medicine twice a day sometimes when previously I could go weeks without taking it at all.

ReputationRep:
    Well I went to the doctors but unfortunately it was one of those young ones. He said it might be due to acid reflux (I get indigestion quite a bit) but I don't know... it's never been this bad before, and whatever it is, it's setting my asthma off. I'm having to take my medicine twice a day sometimes when previously I could go weeks without taking it at all.
    If you are not happy with the outcome of the appointment then you should ask for a second opion.
    Hope you feel better soon.

That's wierd, I keep getting similar symptoms too, since Saturday night. It's only at night, but when I breathe it kind of squeeks if you know what I mean and clears up a couple of hours after I wake up. It is like a case of asthma which I haven't had since I was really young and it seems to be making my hayfever worse - I have sore, red eyes and I can't stop sneezing at night. I also had a slight stomach ache this morning which cleared up after I had some exersise. Now I just feel like I've been recovering from a cold.

ReputationRep:
    The NHS usually recommends that if you've had a persistent cough for 3 weeks or if the nature of the sputum changes you should get it checked out. I'd just keep an eye on it for the time being.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.