Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can you REALLY expect to find a place in clearing or adjustment at a decent uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hey

There has been lots of talk this year about there being less place available for clearing.

I would like to go to:-

southampton, exeter, nottingham, birmingham uni's for Geography.

It seems unlikely any will have places available through the adjustment process. I am also wondering wether I should ditch my current firm and insurance so that I can go into clearing without any attachment.

And also, does anyone know if I will get my accommodation deposite back, should I use the adjustment option?

ReputationRep:
    Oh most definitely!
    Of course it may not be a course you at first had in mind, but if you willing to sacrifice your course for the University then it is really not as bad as you may think.

ReputationRep:
    I think the course is more important to be honest. You have to be passionate about what you are studying don't you think?

I see what your saying though, but those courses tend to be the less desired (obviously )

ReputationRep:
    I agree with LJBzzz..the course is more important. But its up to you And sure you can get a place!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidcy147)
    Oh most definitely!
    Of course it may not be a course you at first had in mind, but if you willing to sacrifice your course for the University then it is really not as bad as you may think.
    Is that true? I've been really nervous about this!

As you can see from my sig, I'm planning to do Archaeology and History. The course is a particularly rare and unpopular one (there's not a single person that had said they are doing it at any Uni on this forum since about Feb 2008 or something - I've searched) but I'm worried I may have dropped a grade here or there and may miss my place ... but my main objective is to get into Nottm Uni - even if I have to do Ancient History and Archaeology, or History and Classics (there are a million possible combinations) instead ... so it's quite likely that I may still get into Nottingham either way?! :excited: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    If your course is less popular then your uni is likely to let you drop one grade (although notts is quite a good uni). Anymore than that and your uni may look to see if people apply for your course through clearing.

I hope you get in though im sure you will if you are willing to adjust to a similar course. Usually one variation will have a space.

ReputationRep:
    Unis are more subscribed this year apparently, so it will be harder than normal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimoso)
    Manchester already gave me an offer through adjustment
    How? are you already unconditional then?

And for what course?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I am conditional. And well, Manchester is already my insurance for Japanese, and I asked them if I could switch them to my firm and to Maths with Japanese which has waaay higher grades. I wasn't sure if I was going to get them so they said that if I got the grades, and used the adjustment thing after results day, they would let me in.
    Oh right, goooooooooood

make sure you get it in writing from them!

ReputationRep:
    Manchester already gave me an offer through adjustment
    don't you have to enter adjustment (available from the 20th of August if I'm not wrong) on the ucas website?

I had the same doubts as the OP but I decided not to drop my offers to go into clearing. I was told by a good university I could have a chance if I went through clearing but I didn't want any risk so I'm waiting for my offer to become unconditional to try through adjustment

ReputationRep:
    Well, yes, but I've already been told that if I get the grades for a course, then come results day I should use adjustment and they would let me in. :yy:
    seems they're less strict than the university I asked to! Happy for you
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It's very possible. I know a family friend got into Durham through Clearing. I also know that the year I got my A2 results, the Music course at Manchester (one of the best in the country) had places in Clearing :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I am conditional. And well, Manchester is already my insurance for Japanese, and I asked them if I could switch them to my firm and to Maths with Japanese which has waaay higher grades. I wasn't sure if I was going to get them so they said that if I got the grades, and used the adjustment thing after results day, they would let me in.
    Well they haven't actually given you an offer through adjustment, then, have they? Please don't be so misleading in future with your posts, especially when commenting on new processes about which little is known.

You cannot even enter adjustment unless you achieve better grades than your firm offer. At this stage nobody knows what your results are.

ReputationRep:
    If I get the grades for the course, I will have exceeded my offer :confused: And if I get the grades, they said they would let me in, through adjustment

:ta:
    Yes. If.

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyway that you can see the clearing list before the 20th?

ReputationRep:
    Yeeeeah the person who runs the course is so nice! Btw did you ask the actual department/specific person in head of the course you were interested in, or just the universities general admin/admissions? You may find that the specific course tutors are more flexible :holmes:
    I just talked to the secretary of my department because it was the only telephone number on the department website, I'll definitely try to contact the university and ask to talk to the admissions tutor

ReputationRep:
    "Grouchy old moderator" indeed
    Indeed, but generally only with people who post misleading information.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will.)
    Is there anyway that you can see the clearing list before the 20th?
    Nah if you think about it, the uni's won't know where they have spaces until the results are out and they can see who's missed their offers.

FWIW everyone's been going on about how little there will be in clearing, but I applied just before the final UCAS deadline in June and there were still tons of options available at red brick uni's for Biology, all of which presumably will be available in clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Indeed, but generally only with people who post misleading information.
    I think he was just trying to be helpful

It is hard to forecast, but I would guess at the top unis places will be available more freely to people this year. No university can offer you a place at this stage for certain though because they do not know how many of their prospective students will have made their offers.

I just wanted to know if there will be a chance of me getting a place, as I am not sure whether to just ask my firm to release me now so that I can go straight into clearing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJBzzz)
    I think he was just trying to be helpful

It is hard to forecast, but I would guess at the top unis places will be available more freely to people this year. No university can offer you a place at this stage for certain though because they do not know how many of their prospective students will have made their offers.

I just wanted to know if there will be a chance of me getting a place, as I am not sure whether to just ask my firm to release me now so that I can go straight into clearing...

It would be rash to make this assumption - all the evidence is to the contrary.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.