Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    It would be rash to make this assumption - all the evidence is to the contrary.
    I mean it will be easier for them to use than previously when they had to be released before they could ask to be considered. This process will help the system work more effectively.

ReputationRep:
    HEY! whats adjustment? how come i've never heard of it? even though im just slow lol
    cos i wanna do med right, but i think ive missed it by at least a grade...n all this time ive just accepted that i cant get in this yr... appreciate the help guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tweediness)
    HEY! whats adjustment? how come i've never heard of it? even though im just slow lol
    cos i wanna do med right, but i think ive missed it by at least a grade...n all this time ive just accepted that i cant get in this yr... appreciate the help guys!

Read the sticky thread. It seems unlikely to help you, as you have to do better than your firm offer requirements to qualify and it is unlikely medicine courses will use it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, my firm offer is only ABB.

According to the rules, aslong as i could get AAB (which I should), I do not have to apply to another uni with AAB; it could still be ABB-BBB etc.

Don't worry, I know the rules but I accept that most decent unis will not have spaces come results day.

ReputationRep:
    i think there will be especially for less popular courses - like pure science, languages, sociology those courses..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJBzzz)
    hey

There has been lots of talk this year about there being less place available for clearing.

I would like to go to:-

southampton, exeter, nottingham, birmingham uni's for Geography.

It seems unlikely any will have places available through the adjustment process.
    Check out the Adjustment FAQ:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=827966
    That explains that it is certainly not implausible for there to be top courses in Adjustment

I am also wondering wether I should ditch my current firm and insurance so that I can go into clearing without any attachment.
    I don't understand this argument: I can't see why a course would be available through clearing but not adjustment. So I don't think you should dump your Firm and Insurance

And also, does anyone know if I will get my accommodation deposite back, should I use the adjustment option?
    That is one of the questions that UCAS specifically don't answer and say you would need to talk to your firm uni about. But one factor that might effect their decision would be whether they had too many or too few students.

ReputationRep:
    Is there a list from last year?
    I'm particularly interested in Maths/Statistics.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i'd love to see a list from last year that way i can work it out...

i think adjustment is a great option thou but to be honest i don't think you should ask to be realsed just yet.. wait till you get the grades and then just go thru adjustment at least that way you have your backup...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiFlag)
    Is there a list from last year?
    I'm particularly interested in Maths/Statistics.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=835931

ReputationRep:
    My sister went through clearing with three Ds and got into Aberdeen (Sociology). That's a good uni. She's bloody successful now as it happens.

ReputationRep:
    If I decide to look for a different uni by Adjustment, and I don't find one, have I in effect declined my current firm and will I then have to reapply for next year?

(if you get what I mean )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    If I decide to look for a different uni by Adjustment, and I don't find one, have I in effect declined my current firm and will I then have to reapply for next year?

(if you get what I mean )
    If you had read the UCAS page linked in the stickied thread at the top of this forum, you would have seen that your firm place is held for you while Adjustment is going on. You only 'lose' your original firm if you are offered a place through Adjustment and accept it.

ReputationRep:
    depends on the course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    Check out the Adjustment FAQ:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=827966
    That explains that it is certainly not implausible for there to be top courses in Adjustment

I don't understand this argument: I can't see why a course would be available through clearing but not adjustment. So I don't think you should dump your Firm and Insurance

That is one of the questions that UCAS specifically don't answer and say you would need to talk to your firm uni about. But one factor that might effect their decision would be whether they had too many or too few students.
    Thankyou. You are very helpful

The thing is, I am not sure I even want to go to my firm regardless. So if I got ABB and then asked them to release me, it would take a long time and the best courses in clearing would be gone.

Birmingham only ask for ABB, and I would rather go there. urghh! its such a mess haha.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou. You are very helpful

The thing is, I am not sure I even want to go to my firm regardless.
    Well you are not going to be sure about your firm.
    But do you have anything solid against it?

So if I got ABB and then asked them to release me, it would take a long time and the best courses in clearing would be gone.

Birmingham only ask for ABB, and I would rather go there. urghh! its such a mess haha.
    What makes you think that Birmingham will be so great?
    Or that they will have places?

If you dump your firm now you could easily end up with nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Well you are not going to be sure about your firm.
    But do you have anything solid against it?

What makes you think that Birmingham will be so great?
    Or that they will have places?

If you dump your firm now you could easily end up with nothing.

My university is very rural/suburban and campus based. I am not sure I can handle living in a bubble for 3 years of my life. There is not alot close by, and most people (around 60%) go home at weekends. It is also located in one of the most expensive areas in the country. I do not recieve grant or any sort of reasonable loan, so I may struggle to afford to live there. Finding a job could be difficult because of its location.

However it is beautiful, and has a reasonable academic rep.

Birmingham may not have places. But if it did I think it would be more affordable and closer to home. It is located just away from the centre of Birmingham, which I think would suit me.

Birmingham is a target because I think it is most likely to have spaces. My first choice uni (I rejected it earlier this year because of its location) would be Exeter. Nottingham is also one which I like, but neither of these are likely to have spaces

ReputationRep:
    My university is very rural/suburban and campus based. I am not sure I can handle living in a bubble for 3 years of my life. There is not alot close by, and most people (around 60%) go home at weekends. It is also located in one of the most expensive areas in the country. I do not recieve grant or any sort of reasonable loan, so I may struggle to afford to live there. Finding a job could be difficult because of its location.

However it is beautiful, and has a reasonable academic rep.
    Given these reservations how come you firmed it?

Birmingham may not have places. But if it did I think it would be more affordable and closer to home. It is located just away from the centre of Birmingham, which I think would suit me.
    Birmingham is a target because I think it is most likely to have spaces.
    What makes you think Birmingham will have places in clearing?
    Did it last year?

My first choice uni (I rejected it earlier this year because of its location) would be Exeter. Nottingham is also one which I like, but neither of these are likely to have spaces
    How come you rejected Exeter previously?

ReputationRep:
    Given these reservations how come you firmed it?

What makes you think Birmingham will have places in clearing?
    Did it last year?

How come you rejected Exeter previously?
    I made massive mistakes when submitting my ucas app. I wanted to get it done quickly and so rushed it.

2 courses on my app I was never going to study, and the other unis I had not been to see. Initially when I visited my firm I loved it, and so firmed it straight away and made the other option my insurance without even visiting.

I rejected Exeter because at the time I though it was too far away from home.

Birmingham is considered the weekest university overall and also for Geography. However, It also has lower entry requirements, and so may be more lenient to students who have firmed it.

It was in clearing for 2006, 2007 but not for 2008. However, the course at Bham was in extra this year. Exeter and Nottingham were not, so I believe it could be a good choice. At the moment I am just exploring different ideas and seeing if they appeal.

ReputationRep:
    I made massive mistakes when submitting my ucas app. I wanted to get it done quickly and so rushed it.

2 courses on my app I was never going to study, and the other unis I had not been to see. Initially when I visited my firm I loved it, and so firmed it straight away and made the other option my insurance without even visiting.

I rejected Exeter because at the time I though it was too far away from home.

Birmingham is considered the weekest university overall and also for Geography. However, It also has lower entry requirements, and so may be more lenient to students who have firmed it.

It was in clearing for 2006, 2007 but not for 2008. However, the course at Bham was in extra this year. Exeter and Nottingham were not, so I believe it could be a good choice. At the moment I am just exploring different ideas and seeing if they appeal.
    hmmm. Birmingham in Clearing sounds a long shot then to me.

What grades are you predicted?
    (i.e. if they are high then the chance of your Firm being a limiting factor is low).

ReputationRep:
    hmmm. Birmingham in Clearing sounds a long shot then to me.

What grades are you predicted?
    (i.e. if they are high then the chance of your Firm being a limiting factor is low).
    my predicted grades starting this year were ABB.

That was based on AS grades of ABD.

Since then I have retook a couple of modules and currently hold AS grades of AAA.

I am expecting AAA-AAB from my A Levels, but should I have really messed up I could end up with ABB, which would leave me stuck

However, I am unwilling to go to a uni of worse stature academically as this would be ridiculous. I am not going to move university purely to suit my living needs; it has to be better for me in terms of study also.

I have thought about Southampton but that will not be in. Nottingham was in last year though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.