Turn on thread page Beta

Can you REALLY expect to find a place in clearing or adjustment at a decent uni? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJBzzz)
    my predicted grades starting this year were ABB.

That was based on AS grades of ABD.

Since then I have retook a couple of modules and currently hold AS grades of AAA.

I am expecting AAA-AAB from my A Levels, but should I have really messed up I could end up with ABB, which would leave me stuck

However, I am unwilling to go to a uni of worse stature academically as this would be ridiculous. I am not going to move university purely to suit my living needs; it has to be better for me in terms of study also.

I have thought about Southampton but that will not be in. Nottingham was in last year though.
    Given your high grade expectations and unwillingness to go to a weaker uni, sounds like you should not drop your firm now and use Adjustment. i.e. if you get high grades then you will be not be restricted by your Firm from make a transfer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwhy)
    Given your high grade expectations and unwillingness to go to a weaker uni, sounds like you should not drop your firm now and use Adjustment. i.e. if you get high grades then you will be not be restricted by your Firm from make a transfer.
    mmm it could be a bold decision to ask to be released.

I am not sure though whether, on the day if I got ABB, I would wish I had dropped it anyway and could look around.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm. Birmingham in Clearing sounds a long shot then to me.

What grades are you predicted?
    (i.e. if they are high then the chance of your Firm being a limiting factor is low).
    Well if the course was in extra I'd say that there's a v good shot it will be in clearing, only time it won't be is if it filled during extra??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimoso)
    I'm a girl :nothing:
    I've just read through this thread and :console: The way I see it is as this process is new the best advice students can give is the sort you gave. All the facts are available on UCAS and via articles and stickies on TSR therefore if people want official facts they can find them-threads are then set up as people want opinions and experience.

I think adjustment is fairly risk free as your firm is held and you can search for better courses or options with that security behind you. The only thing that worries me is the apparent lack of places this year as reported by the BBC and other news sites which may mean less courses are available through these options. However, it could go the other way and universities may be less flexible with grades and prefer to take those with higher grades through adjustment.

ReputationRep:
    mmm it could be a bold decision to ask to be released.
    No: it would definitely be bold.
    i.e. the only possible gain is in the case where you have ABB (or below)
    and that is the case when it is hardest to find a new uni and you could end up having to take a GAP year.

What would you do in the worst case scenario if you were released and could not find a good replacement uni?

I am not sure though whether, on the day if I got ABB, I would wish I had dropped it anyway and could look around.
    Well if you get ABB you can still look around. But yes there is the extra restriction of needing to get released from your Firm if you find a new uni you prefer. However with the advent of Adjustment your Firm may not be as negative as before in terms of releasing you e.g. Adjustment makes it easier for them to find a replacement.

To ask for release you need to be sure. And as it is now August and you are still unsure you should not ask for release.

(Original post by jk1986)
    Well if the course was in extra I'd say that there's a v good shot it will be in clearing, only time it won't be is if it filled during extra??
    There is some chance but not as strong as very good:
    i) I know from studying the form last year that places were in Extra but not Clearing.
    ii) Birmingham not in Clearing last year for Geography
    iii) With increasing student numbers which universities are in clearing is changing: universities like Birmingham that used to need clearing don't any more and so the best unis are not there anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magical Moogles)
    Hello LJBzzz, seen you around the RHUL forums. :wavey:

I really dont advise staying somewhere you'll not going to be happy. It is going to be 3 years of your life afterall. Why you firmed or even wanted to apply to RHUL is a mystery to me, it is clearly not your cup of tea. I decided to firm RH because of its location and course (plus many other things). It felt like the right place for me. :dontknow:
    If LJBzzz woudl rather go nowhere than RH then withdrawling from there would be the correct decision. However given that he needs to ask the question and asks in terms of possible oppurtunities with other universities suggests to me that that is not the case.

ReputationRep:
    No: it would definitely be bold.
    i.e. the only possible gain is in the case where you have ABB (or below)
    and that is the case when it is hardest to find a new uni and you could end up having to take a GAP year.

What would you do in the worst case scenario if you were released and could not find a good replacement uni?

Well if you get ABB you can still look around. But yes there is the extra restriction of needing to get released from your Firm if you find a new uni you prefer. However with the advent of Adjustment your Firm may not be as negative as before in terms of releasing you e.g. Adjustment makes it easier for them to find a replacement.

To ask for release you need to be sure. And as it is now August and you are still unsure you should not ask for release.

There is some chance but not as strong as very good:
    i) I know from studying the form last year that places were in Extra but not Clearing.
    ii) Birmingham not in Clearing last year for Geography
    iii) With increasing student numbers which universities are in clearing is changing: universities like Birmingham that used to need clearing don't any more and so the best unis are not there anymore.
    I am not sure what I would do if I could not find a good replacement. I would go to a lesser uni maybe. A gap year is not an option though.

Do you think that if I got ABB one of my uni's would save me a place until I managed to get released?

ReputationRep:
    Hello LJBzzz, seen you around the RHUL forums. :wavey:

I really dont advise staying somewhere you'll not going to be happy. It is going to be 3 years of your life afterall. Why you firmed or even wanted to apply to RHUL is a mystery to me, it is clearly not your cup of tea. I decided to firm RH because of its location and course (plus many other things). It felt like the right place for me. :dontknow:

Please be 100% sure Birmingham is the right choice for you. Have you looked at the course in detail, and like what you see? Seeing you around the forums, I think you may be someone who rushes into things, and thinking too much on the small details.

Why did you even apply to Exeter in the first place, if you were going to reject it because of location :confused: I know you were in a rush, but surely location must of been a factor while applying? Anyway, I think adjustment is the right route for you, and I hope you get into Birmingham :yes:

If you cant get anywhere through adjustment/clearing. It might be a good idea to take a gap year and get your application sorted out next year. I think you've learnt from your mistakes this year, and know exactly where and what to apply for. Who knows, you might get another offer from Exeter. Oh you can also save up some money in the gap year, if you have financial problems/concerns.

(I really dont like the adjustment system idea this year. It sounds like a mess to me, and it must be a pain for universities, trying to get numbers sorted out. However, it clearly is going to be a big help for students, to make last minute changes. )
    Thankyou, very helpful. You are correct, I worry about the little things alot, although this is quite a large issue haha!

Erm, I will not take a gap year tbh. You will probably see me at RHUL and dont worry, I am always happy, I wouldnt be moaning

I wont take a gap year because I will not work another year in a dead end job which I hate. This is unless I become really set on a university before then.

By the way, I applied to RHUL because it was good for Geography, has a nice castle, and I recieve London Loan I only had time to visit 2 uni's so after that I had to make some choices.

I nearly chose Newcastle instead of RHUL as one of my five. In fact it was on my list before RHUL, but then I swapped them. I then realised my two offers from Exeter, I could not accept, so it was left to Reading or RHUL. I did not like Reading Uni as much, so I impulsively chose RHUL, without considering anything really.

ReputationRep:
    By the way I think Royal Holloway is a really nice uni. It is set in a really nice location, but it is very expensive, and might be a little bit quiet for me. Im really not sure!! hmm...

ReputationRep:
    Hi again

I think you are doing the right thing. Wait until results day, but with a few ideas of where else you would like to go, and look around what courses are available which you can get through adjustment. Its a bit of guess work, what will be available, but to answer your initial question - yes it is likely there will be "decent" universities available for clearing/adjustment and if you have the grades, there is a good chance of success.

Another option to consider, if there isn't anything through adjustment, (but you really want to go to university this year) is to go to RHUL for the first year, and perhaps transfer to another university afterwards. At least that lets you give RHUL a chance, as it might not be as bad as you fear, you may end up wanting to stay

Also, I just read through my previous post - sorry if it came across as rude. :o: You said you have made some mistakes when submitting your ucas application, but there was no need for me to lecture you about it :p:
    Hey

Oh yeah and also dont think i'm being rude about RHUL you know. I really love the place, but it seems a little small and the bubble factor could irritate me.

You didnt come across rude; helpful in fact I added to your rep haha. Yeah I made so many mistakes, but I cant worry about them now can I.

I will have a look in the next couple of weeks and see if any universities I am considering actually suit me. If they do not, I would rather go Royal Holloway because it is a really nice place and the extra loan is quite important to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimoso)
    Manchester already gave me an offer through adjustment
    But adjustment doesnt start until 20th august? does it, I want to apply Kings College

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i-Citizen)
    But adjustment doesnt start until 20th august? does it, I want to apply Kings College
    No it doesnt. But you can enquire now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i-Citizen)
    We've already established that this statement was completely misleading and that Kimoso has not received an offer through adjustment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    We've already established that this statement was completely misleading and that Kimoso has not received an offer through adjustment.
    indeed, I was like but but good bloke mislead me the other day :rolleyes:

kimoso word of advice, other students here will take your word literally, so please explain yourself next time yesh

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure what I would do if I could not find a good replacement. I would go to a lesser uni maybe. A gap year is not an option though.
    Given that you don't view a gap year as an option I don't see how withdrawing is an option.

Do you think that if I got ABB one of my uni's would save me a place until I managed to get released?
    Possibly. Esp. as Adjustment means that unis needing people may see how many over achievers there are before closing their books.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou. You are very helpful

The thing is, I am not sure I even want to go to my firm regardless. So if I got ABB and then asked them to release me, it would take a long time and the best courses in clearing would be gone.

Birmingham only ask for ABB, and I would rather go there. urghh! its such a mess haha.
    Firstly thanks for the rep.
    Secondly check out the UCAS Adjustment video with interviews with representatives from different unis. The Birmingham man talked both about them having more applicants this year but also that historically 20% of their students exceed their offers and hence are possible departees via Adjustment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cats_have_teats)
    My sister went through clearing with three Ds and got into Aberdeen (Sociology). That's a good uni. She's bloody successful now as it happens.
    Whats your sister doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toxic Tears)
    Whats your sister doing?
    Working in HR for an oil company in Aberdeenshire. consistently promoted and does property development on the side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    Is that true? I've been really nervous about this!

As you can see from my sig, I'm planning to do Archaeology and History. The course is a particularly rare and unpopular one (there's not a single person that had said they are doing it at any Uni on this forum since about Feb 2008 or something - I've searched) but I'm worried I may have dropped a grade here or there and may miss my place ... but my main objective is to get into Nottm Uni - even if I have to do Ancient History and Archaeology, or History and Classics (there are a million possible combinations) instead ... so it's quite likely that I may still get into Nottingham either way?! :excited: :woo:
    hello!!!! that would be the course I'm hopefully taking at Exeter uni. how come its so unpopular?! I can't find anyone else either I think its a great combination!!!

ReputationRep:
    Firstly thanks for the rep.
    Secondly check out the UCAS Adjustment video with interviews with representatives from different unis. The Birmingham man talked both about them having more applicants this year but also that historically 20% of their students exceed their offers and hence are possible departees via Adjustment.
    Thats okay, you have been very helpful

Just wanted to sort of talk it through, and so make sure I wasnt going mad!

Im not sure Birmingham is the uni for me so I am going with my friend, who is in a similar situation, to have a look around. I have already been once.

I am also going to visit Nottingham, Southampton and Exeter over the next 2 weeks. I know it may seem pointless, due to the fact know one will be there and neither will probably be in adjustment. Its just important I visit them all so I know not to make a mistake. Plus I cannot get anymore hours during the week at work, so I might as well do something vaguely productive

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 16, 2009
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.