Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    when you apply for a postgraduate from a "not so good" uni and you got a first from there, could you get in for a course in the top 10 ?

ReputationRep:
    sometimes my teacher did a degree at Derby but did her PGCE at Leicester. (top 6 for edu)

ReputationRep:
    I would say that would be largely dependent on the course and the institutions requirements for entry.

Look at the universities website for further information.

ReputationRep:
    i mean sometimes. not sometimes my eacher did a ....

ReputationRep:
    ps quote me please

ReputationRep:
    ok any more ?

ReputationRep:
    My history teacher (only about 25 now) did his degree at Essex and then went to Cambridge! If you do well then there is a good chance you will be able to move somewhere more 'prestigious.'

ReputationRep:
    unlikely, but possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymustard)
    My history teacher (only about 25 now) did his degree at Essex and then went to Cambridge! If you do well then there is a good chance you will be able to move somewhere more 'prestigious.'
    damn, thats awesome, now where all the university experts at this time ?

ReputationRep:
    Totally possible.

My friend went from a bottom of the league type uni to doing a MA at Kings, though he did get a first. Other friends went to City with 2:2. Also know one guy wet to City then Imperial hmm cant think of anymore but yeah its not that hard.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    To an extent I guess it does but it more depends on your dissertation and you especially when it comes to interview.

ReputationRep:
    Sure it's possible

ReputationRep:
    If you look throught the 'getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate' Sticky, the general consensus is that the university you did your undergrad doesnt' really matter - what matters is how well you did, where you finished in relation to the rest of your class, and how great your references are

ReputationRep:
    Yes, with a First you can get into a course at a 'top 10' university.

I got a First from Aberystwyth and got into Oxford and UCL for my Masters (I took up the place at UCL). I also won AHRC funding ahead of other applicants who studied at unis like Warwick and Exeter.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends what course you are looking at doing. For the less common ones you might have a very good chance with a 2:1 let alone a First. Things such as work experience and your references might also help.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Well its not entirely irrelevant, but the main way it's likely to affect you is through the prestige of your references, if you're at a better uni then staff at the institution you're applying to are more likely to be familiar with the lecturers writing your references, so they will have more weight.

If you're on for a first from a less prestigious uni then the pure difference between that degree and one from a highly ranked institution would be just a couple of percentage points in the overall scheme of things.

Most important thing is to do well in the interview.

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone

ReputationRep:
    It seems to matter for London uni's more than others, I'am from a low uni (graduated 2.1) yet I got rejected from Queenmary and LSE within a day of applying, yet got offers from St Andrews, Exeter and Nottingham, Cass for post grad courses.

London uni's get loads of people applying to them so they’re in a position to take graduates from higher uni's

ReputationRep:
    I went to a lower ranged uni and got a first. I was excepted at University College London with full funding so it can be done

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.