Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think it's possible. I got a 2:1 from Roehampton University and accepted a place at Royal Holloway. There were students on one of my English Literature modules that got offers from Oxford for postgrad study, so I think it depends more on the student than on where you graduated from.

ReputationRep:
    The uni you go to is def not as important as the grade you get. With a first from a mediocre uni you have very good chances of getting into a top 10 one. I graduated from newcastle (which I regard very mediocre) and got offers from ucl, imperial, lse and cam for postgrad. So work hard and it'll pay off no doubt!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aemilius)
    The uni you go to is def not as important as the grade you get. With a first from a mediocre uni you have very good chances of getting into a top 10 one. I graduated from newcastle (which I regard very mediocre) and got offers from ucl, imperial, lse and cam for postgrad. So work hard and it'll pay off no doubt!
    Why you regard Newcastle as very mediocre ?
    Just asking, don´t get me wrong.
    It will also depend on the subject ,won´t it ?
    I am about to start a science-related postgrad there and I thought that Newcastle enjoyed quite a reputation at science.

ReputationRep:
    I think for science, and medicine especially, it's well respected. I read architecture, but wasn't too happy with the teaching. Subsequently I think I have developed a bias for it. Don't let it turn you off though, it's just my opinion. It's a good city and I'm sure you'll meet some exceptional people there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aemilius)
    I think for science, and medicine especially, it's well respected. I read architecture, but wasn't too happy with the teaching. Subsequently I think I have developed a bias for it. Don't let it turn you off though, it's just my opinion. It's a good city and I'm sure you'll meet some exceptional people there.
    That´s definitely the worst thing it might happen to you at Uni, find the teaching dissapointing,
    I hope that it won´t happen to me.
    Mind you, if you´ve been offered places to go to the likes of UCL, Imperial or Cam; it could be said that on the long run reading at Newcastle it absolutely worked out for you ¡¡¡¡

ReputationRep:
    It probably depends on the subject too, I mean I'm hopefully applying for Creative Writing masters and so I hope they take into account my portfolio along with my university/final classification!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by discombobulation)
    It probably depends on the subject too, I mean I'm hopefully applying for Creative Writing masters and so I hope they take into account my portfolio along with my university/final classification!
    That's very true. A portfolio of creative writing is usually needed for an MA Creative Writing application (sometimes they ask for a sample of critical writing such as an essay as well)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tigermoth99)
    That's very true. A portfolio of creative writing is usually needed for an MA Creative Writing application (sometimes they ask for a sample of critical writing such as an essay as well)
    Here's hoping!

ReputationRep:
    In law, while the university matters, I think A-Levels matter more. I know a mature student who through work experience managed to go to Exeter with nothing but a B and 2 Cs, and graduated with an upper 2:1, but he is still looking for a TC, whereas another friend went to an ex-polytechnic with solid A-levels (because it was more fun), and graduated with an upper 2:1, and is now in a TC with a respectable regional commercial firm. I do think that this situation is rare though: redbrick graduates usually have high A-levels, but I think it reveals A-level, rather than university bias in employers.

ReputationRep:
    Holy thread necromancy Batman!
    One anecdote doth not reality make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vacuous)
    In law, while the university matters, I think A-Levels matter more. I know a mature student who through work experience managed to go to Exeter with nothing but a B and 2 Cs, and graduated with an upper 2:1, but he is still looking for a TC, whereas another friend went to an ex-polytechnic with solid A-levels (because it was more fun), and graduated with an upper 2:1, and is now in a TC with a respectable regional commercial firm. I do think that this situation is rare though: redbrick graduates usually have high A-levels, but I think it reveals A-level, rather than university bias in employers.
    Slight hitch - only a handful of universities ask for A-level results for entry onto postgraduate courses.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah as people have said, how you do at uni grade-wise will matter more.

I did my undergrad at the University of Auckland (not a top uni) and so far have been accepted into LSE, Imperial and Columbia, with more hopefully to come.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.