Turn on thread page Beta

Smokers watch

ReputationRep:
    were treated like scum, the government are taking liberties and busting our balls. Its a disgrace.

ReputationRep:
    You are scum, it's pointless and disgusting. Sort yourselves out.

ReputationRep:
    Diddums.

You seem stressed. Have a ciggie!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    no, smoking = stupid you should be taxed at a higher rate as you are more likely to need the NHS with smoking related complaints

ReputationRep:
    It's my choice to smoke, but it is a filthy, disgusting habit which I choose to inflict on myself knowing the consequnces and the subsequent deteroation of my health will be funded through the tax I pay on them. Why should other people pay for me making an idiotic choice?

ReputationRep:
    And you people have what right to try and control how others live their lives? If someone decides to smoke the majority no the risks involved its free choice, something that is becoming less frequent in this country.

ReputationRep:
    Smokers more than pay for themselves in terms of NHS costs through taxes. Hell, a £5 pack of **** is about 80% tax + and it just keeps rising. The government needs money so they will jack up the tax of tobacco and booze.

I have no problem with smokers. Smokers who insist that quitting is impossible have no willpower or self-control. There are people who go through full on physical and mental torment with heroin withdrawals yet smokers still insist they just can't quit. It's because they don't want to quit.

ReputationRep:
    deal with it. nothing you can do, law is law, abide it.

Agree with you there, OP, despite being a non-smoker myself.

ReputationRep:
    now come on, you have the liberty to smoke, what more could you want?

ReputationRep:
    I say we start a revolution!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)
    Smokers more than pay for themselves in terms of NHS costs through taxes. Hell, a £5 pack of **** is about 80% tax + and it just keeps rising. The government needs money so they will jack up the tax of tobacco and booze.

I have no problem with smokers. Smokers who insist that quitting is impossible have no willpower or self-control. There are people who go through full on physical and mental torment with heroin withdrawals yet smokers still insist they just can't quit. It's because they don't want to quit.
    I agree with this in everyway :yep:

I do get quite annoyed with people who are like 'OMG u smoke!??!!?!11 GET AWAY. u r a FREAK!' - it's merely unnecessary and unjustified prejudice. Smoking has certainly affected one or two of my relationships with people due to this.
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Smokers smoke because of the (short term) effects of nicotine withdrawal. Non smokers never suffer from this.
    This is verging on tautological. :erm: Yes, non-smokers do not suffer from the effects of smoking and the substances in cigarettes. I don't see your point?

ReputationRep:
    *awaits militant anti-smoking nazis*

Its binge drinking and alcohol abuse we should be worried about, not ******* smoking.
    Am I gonna crash my car/run someone over/start a pub brawl/fall into the gutter/injure myself/injure another after one too many cigarettes?

Nein.

And before some prat gives me one over passive smoking, relax. You're not gonna get cancer standing next to me at the bus stop.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)
    I agree with this in everyway :yep:

I do get quite annoyed with people who are like 'OMG u smoke!??!!?!11 GET AWAY. u r a FREAK!' - it's merely unnecessary and unjustified prejudice. Smoking has certainly affected one or two of my relationships with people due to this.

This is verging on tautological. :erm:
    Ditto. I smoke occasionally if I'm bored or stressed but if I pull out a fag in front of some of my more conservative friends they **** a brick.

"You're addicted!!!" - Ah yes as I maybe smoke one or two every other day. Addiction is tough...

"Every cigarette does you damage!" - Just like that 1/4 cheeseburger you just ate, ya' fat *****!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    now come on, you have the liberty to smoke, what more could you want?
    Not being looked down upon by the majority, people who are clearly uneducated about smoking and only believe what the government tells them. Not having to stand out in the rain to do something i enjoy, now i no the risks of passive smoking but this could be bipassed with things such as smoking rooms in public places such as shopping centres. Another idea would be to let businesses apply for licences enabling people to smoke in the establishment (pubs, clubs etc). This would give the CHOICE back to the people whether they want to go there or not.

ReputationRep:
    a pack of embassy? sigs appealed to me the other day...what is wrong with me?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    Am I gonna crash my car/run someone over/start a pub brawl/fall into the gutter/injure myself/injure another after one too many cigarettes?

Nein.
    Unless you're retarded enough to get smoke in your eye/drop embers on yourself and it distracts you from driving :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)
    "Every cigarette does you damage!" - Just like that 1/4 cheeseburger you just ate, ya' fat *****!
    Haha. So true though

ReputationRep:
    I smoke like 1 a day, and everyone frowns upon me. The way I see it is that everyone has their personal preferences.

If you are a smoker, do not complain about the price of it. If you can't afford to smoke do not do it, just like you do not drive if you cannot afford to. Everything is taxed according to the impact it is percieved to have on society.

You do not see fruit and veg taxed highly because it supposedly stimulates people and has a positive impact on people and the economy benefits. In the next few years as the budget is stretched, fast food will also be harshly taxed.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.