Turn on thread page Beta

Smokers watch

ReputationRep:
    Oh please dont start this all over again...

ReputationRep:
    If you think being a tobacco smoker is hard you should try smoking pot; less harmful, less addictive, and more medicinal, yet persecuted 10x more.

ReputationRep:
    Passive smoking is also known to increase your risk of lung cancer, by about 25%
    From the NHS website.

Selfish scum, smokers.

ReputationRep:
    whatever happened to freedom? smoking in pubs should be a civil liberty

ReputationRep:
    I smoke 20 a day We are slowly dying anyway so why not enjoy life. I dont get non smokers why do you actully care Its not your problem and the government makes alot of money if tax from cigs.

ReputationRep:
    i import cigarettes from E.Europe (EU countries). if friends get them then it works out @ 3.5/pack. when i go buy them + import works out at ~1-2pounds per pack depending on brand. same quality as here in UK. tax be ******

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lordzola)
    whatever happened to freedom? smoking in pubs should be a civil liberty
    uhhh why should someone who doesnt smoke breathe in your fag smoke?? what a really selfish opinion you have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cashdogg666)
    uhhh why should someone who doesnt smoke breathe in your fag smoke?? what a really selfish opinion you have.
    why does everyone assume that those who smoke are constantly puffing into someones face (edit: i realized you were quoting someone who wants smoking back in pubs so i guess my reply to you is kind of irrelevent but none the less it can apply to those who keep going on about second hand smoke)? for some (e.g. me) most of the smoking is done at home in the garden/outside the house (i hate smoking inside and never do even if im alone) e.g. after waking up, before bed, after meal etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrp)
    why does everyone assume that those who smoke are constantly puffing into someones face (edit: i realized you were quoting someone who wants smoking back in pubs so i guess my reply to you is kind of irrelevent but none the less it can apply to those who keep going on about second hand smoke)? for some (e.g. me) most of the smoking is done at home in the garden/outside the house (i hate smoking inside and never do even if im alone) e.g. after waking up, before bed, after meal etc.
    im not suggesting they are puffing it into peoples faces, but the smoke does end up filling a room... therefore people in that room will be breathing it in. if it wasnt a problem it wouldnt have been banned.

i get your point but even smoking outside creates second hand smoke that others that walk past have to breathe in (in the case of smoking outside a pub or restaurant or outside the workplace).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Wi$e-One)
    no, smoking = stupid you should be taxed at a higher rate as you are more likely to need the NHS with smoking related complaints
    Thing is, cigarette taxes are massive and the government makes a lot of money out of it - a lot of money which goes into the NHS. Smokers already contribute (indirectly) far more to the NHS per year than any other group.

Coming from a non-smoker.

ReputationRep:
    It is not hard to see why smoking has been banned in pubs. It creates a smoke filled environment, and surely deprives non-smokers of clean air to breathe.

I am a smoker, but as soon as ive finished a cig I want to go and sit in a clean environment where I dont have to constantly wash my clothes after going to. Plus it makes smokers smoker less, which is a good thing.

It would be nice if more smokers could understand that they are paying a high tax for a reason. Hopefully then people could understand why they should try and quit.

I am only a light smokers (1-2 a day).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cashdogg666)
    So it's not selfish to ban smoking just because people like YOU don't like it? Does you no harm, our choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lordzola)
    So it's not selfish to ban smoking just because people like YOU don't like it? Does you no harm, our choice.
    umm actually it does if i breathe it in i might as well be smoking it...
    YOU can smoke all you want, I however would prefer it if i didnt have to breathe it in from those around me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJBzzz)
    It is not hard to see why smoking has been banned in pubs. It creates a smoke filled environment, and surely deprives non-smokers of clean air to breathe.

I am a smoker, but as soon as ive finished a cig I want to go and sit in a clean environment where I dont have to constantly wash my clothes after going to. Plus it makes smokers smoker less, which is a good thing.

It would be nice if more smokers could understand that they are paying a high tax for a reason. Hopefully then people could understand why they should try and quit.

I am only a light smokers (1-2 a day).
    well said :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I reiterate my previous point as it seems to have been overlooked. now i no the risks of passive smoking but this could be bipassed with things such as smoking rooms in public places such as shopping centres. Another idea would be to let businesses apply for licences enabling people to smoke in the establishment (pubs, clubs etc). This would give the CHOICE back to the people whether they want to go there or not.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.