Turn on thread page Beta

Gimme a Grade 6 Piano piece that I would be able to learn from now until september. watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking for a Grade 6 piece that is around the 'Beethoven's moonlight sonata' sort of standard. Hopefully, this will enable me to be able to learn most of it before i finish my summer holidays and the prefered time limit is around 3-5 minutes for the piece duration.

If anyone can help me, that'd be great thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Far too vague. Period? Example composer? Style?

ReputationRep:
    Nocturne by Felix mendelssonn in E major (A Midsomer night's dream theme)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sver)
    Nocturne by Felix mendelssonn in E major (A Midsomer night's dream theme)
    Go for it.

ReputationRep:
    is this for an A level deadline? sounds like it

i recommend getting a grade 6 book from any exam board and seeing what takes your fancy...ideally, listen to the cd recordings of them too

if you're around that standard anyways, all pieces are probably gonna be of a similar difficulty anyways

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCalfine)
    I'm looking for a Grade 6 piece that is around the 'Beethoven's moonlight sonata' sort of standard. Hopefully, this will enable me to be able to learn most of it before i finish my summer holidays and the prefered time limit is around 3-5 minutes for the piece duration.

If anyone can help me, that'd be great thanks.

The Moonlight Sonata, indeed any single movement of it, is much more advanced than "Grade 6 standard".

Can you not give a little more detail as to waht sort of piece you're looking for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurakate1988)
    is this for an A level deadline? sounds like it

i recommend getting a grade 6 book from any exam board and seeing what takes your fancy...ideally, listen to the cd recordings of them too

if you're around that standard anyways, all pieces are probably gonna be of a similar difficulty anyways
    yeah, it is. and what you've done sounds like a good idea.

i am currently doing grade 5 but I can already play up to 11 minutes of Grade 6, that including moonlight sonata and the pathetique sonata, all by beethoven

I just need those extra 3-5 minutes. So close, yet so far....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopinmad)
    The Moonlight Sonata, indeed any single movement of it, is much more advanced than "Grade 6 standard".

Can you not give a little more detail as to waht sort of piece you're looking for?
    The first movement of the Moonlight Sonata is grade 6 level.

ReputationRep:

i am currently doing grade 5 but I can already play up to 11 minutes of Grade 6, that including moonlight sonata and the pathetique sonata, all by beethoven

Maybe you could flick through the Trinity, ABRSM syllabi to find some pieces? Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Chopin's Raindrop Prelude (No. 15 in D-Flat Major) is a nice one to play. I think it was borderline grade 6/7 when I looked it up, but there's a lot of repetition in it and its fairly slow - so its a good way to fill 4 or 5 minutes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidcy147)
    Go for it.
    could you do a link to youtube? i can't seem to find a piano version of it.

ReputationRep:

You can play the Pathetique Sonata?! O_o That's a lot higher than Grade 6, I think.... At least, the 1st and 3rd movements are. 2nd movement's probably Grade 6-ish

How about Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag? Really fun piece to play, I learned it in about a month Good luck~!

ReputationRep:
    could you do a link to youtube? i can't seem to find a piano version of it.
    There are ASBRM CD's out there you can buy I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisJ!)
    Chopin's Raindrop Prelude (No. 15 in D-Flat Major) is a nice one to play. I think it was borderline grade 6/7 when I looked it up, but there's a lot of repetition in it and its fairly slow - so its a good way to fill 4 or 5 minutes
    I think I have a winner here. Thanks. +rep for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kytiane)
    You can play the Pathetique Sonata?! O_o That's a lot higher than Grade 6, I think.... At least, the 1st and 3rd movements are. 2nd movement's probably Grade 6-ish

How about Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag? Really fun piece to play, I learned it in about a month Good luck~!
    oops. should've probably have made myself a little clearer.

i can only play the 1st mvt. of the moonlight sonata and the 2nd mvt. of the pathetique sonata.

sorry for any musician noobishness involved :p:

ReputationRep:
    oops. should've probably have made myself a little clearer.

i can only play the 1st mvt. of the moonlight sonata and the 2nd mvt. of the pathetique sonata.

sorry for any musician noobishness involved :p:
    Nearly had me worried there :P I'm diploma level and doing the [entire] Pathetique Sonata for that, and struggling! XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kytiane)
    Nearly had me worried there :P I'm diploma level and doing the [entire] Pathetique Sonata for that, and struggling! XD
    yeah, my piano teacher had to do his years ago, except it was the entire moonlight sonata...

ReputationRep:
    moments musicaux - schubert

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GilbertLam)
    The first movement of the Moonlight Sonata is grade 6 level.
    On which syllabus?

ReputationRep:
    If you want something a little different try learning Albeniz - Tango No.2 from Espana Op. 165. Style is completely different from the usual piano guff you might have to learn.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.