Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gimme a Grade 6 Piano piece that I would be able to learn from now until september. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kytiane)
    Nearly had me worried there :P I'm diploma level and doing the [entire] Pathetique Sonata for that, and struggling! XD

Oo I feel your pain! 2 years ago I had to learn this sonata for my diploma but had to change to a different sonata cos I couldn't manage it LOL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hopinmad)
    On which syllabus?
    i've seen it in the edexcel difficulty booklet for AS/A2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCalfine)
    yeah, it is. and what you've done sounds like a good idea.

i am currently doing grade 5 but I can already play up to 11 minutes of Grade 6, that including moonlight sonata and the pathetique sonata, all by beethoven

I just need those extra 3-5 minutes. So close, yet so far....
    ah cool i thought this might be the case

are you sure that some of the other pieces you may play aren't those that sit around the level of grade 6? failing that, i think if i were in your shoes i would also consider doing one of the following:

playing a grade 5 piece really well (perhaps one you used in a grade 5 exam)

or how about singing or another instrument you may play around grade 6

the above advice probs sounded mega random but i'm just throwing ideas around as i remember being in exactly the same boat when i did AS level music

as a side note, i have a feeling that Maple Leaf Rag may sit around grade 6 standard...sounds like a fun piece to play (i think rockschool may also publish a simplified version in their grade 5 keyboard book if thats any help?

ReputationRep:
    I've just started working towards my grade 6 piano with ABRSM, there's a nice Beethoven piece in the B list for 2009/2010 from one of his Sonatas. Check the syllabus online if you're interested

ReputationRep:
    I also suggest the first movement of the "Moonlight Sonata". "Raindrop Prelude" might be a good one to try as well (although it gets quite tricky towards the end - but you should be able to master it providing that you practise ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piggy's Glasses)
    I also suggest the first movement of the "Moonlight Sonata". "Raindrop Prelude" might be a good one to try as well (although it gets quite tricky towards the end - but you should be able to master it providing that you practise ).
    yeah i've gone for the raindrop prelude by chopin :yes:
    A pretty powerful piece in my opinion, as well as a good one to choose.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.