Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is "It's not you, it's me" SO insulting? watch

ReputationRep:
    I mean, I understand why if someone only gave this as their reason of breaking up with you you'd be a bit insulted that they hadn't even really given a reason. Or if you'd been going out with the person for a lengthy amount of time, fair enough it doesn't seem like a great explanation.
    But when the person doing the breaking up says anything along the lines of "I don't want you to think it's anything you did, it's just I don't want to be in a relationship" why is that taken as such a "omg did you just say it's not you it's me?!"

ReputationRep:
    Because they're not being straight. When it's seen as its a "It's not you, it's me" it's blatently you. Sparing feelings with that line is a fail xD

ReputationRep:
    Because its a cliche, so they haven't put much thought into it.

ReputationRep:
    because no matter who hears it, they'll all be thinking the same 'you can't be bothered to even make a decent excuse up'

ReputationRep:
    It's cliche and an easy way out. It's like saying "I couldn't be bothered putting thought into it, so I'm going with a generic saying"

ReputationRep:
    But if it's used within a bunch of other reasons.. And sometimes it's not a lie, it might genuinely not be anything about you :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I was told that this morning.... but at the end of a very long conversation, so it wasn't a cop out.

(Original post by RightSaidJames)
    I was told that this morning.... but at the end of a very long conversation, so it wasn't a cop out.
    :console: You'll find someone else :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I think its just because its a rubbish excuse. Of course it is partly the other person. If they were that fantastic and worth it then you wouldn't be dumping them. People just want reasons I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    Its a go at saving someones feelings, but in actual fact it probably does the reverse in most cases as the person dosent get a straight answer as to what the reason was, well the seem to think that, there seems to be an idea if someone says "its not you its me" there is a hidden adgenda as to why they broke up, when in fact it may be exactly what was said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    :console: You'll find someone else :awesome:
    Thanks. Although I've not lost her yet, she's not my girlfriend at the moment, but there's still hope.

(Original post by RightSaidJames)
    Thanks. Although I've not lost her yet, she's not my girlfriend at the moment, but there's still hope.
    :awesome: Totally.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer "look, it's not me, it's you. You're terrible. Go away."

ReputationRep:
    My ex said this to me 3 weeks ago.I love her and miss her.I wish there was something i could do

ReputationRep:
    "It's not me, it's you"

:ahee:

ReputationRep:
    It makes you feel useless, unable to do anything to change the situation, or she isn't even giving you the chance to give the relationship another try.

ReputationRep:
    Its insulting because its a lie basically

ReputationRep:
    Because using that saying means that the person concerned (not you, the one saying it), is a complete ****.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's used so often that it's nowadays just seen as a cop-out rather than a real reason.

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever seen friends? Theres a bit in that and they basically 'translate' cliches and . .

'its not you, it's me', - it IS you

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.