Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is "It's not you, it's me" SO insulting? watch

ReputationRep:
    yer i've never got this either..would they rather be told they smell or something?

ReputationRep:
    i never ask for a reason!
    is that bad
    i always say cool, ill see u around
    lol :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    cuz it is ALWAYS you!!

ReputationRep:
    Why do people moan over break ups. I swear I've never been bothered about a break up. The consolidatory response of always along the lines of 'That's a shame, but some things aren't mean to be, see you sometime'

*Goes home and plays Xbox*.

Maybe I'm dead inside.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's not the truth. If it were true, it would be the choice of that person being dumped to decide whether to break up or not.

ReputationRep:
    Because there's nothing tangible and concrete that the one being dumped can try and change so consequently they feel completely powerless? Not a great situation to be in, if you're still in love with person doing the breaking up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortunecookie)
    Have you ever seen friends? Theres a bit in that and they basically 'translate' cliches and . .

'its not you, it's me', - it IS you
    This. Also, Friends =

ReputationRep:
    Because someone would rather know what the real reason is, it's a cop-out.

ReputationRep:
    I've had this happen to me before, tbh I'd rather just be told the truth, like if I was breaking up with somebody I wouldn't say "it's not you, it's me" I'd make it unforgettable like along the lines of this

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/8996/goodidea.th.png

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh_adele)
    This. Also, Friends =
    I relate friends to pretty much everything! I have been known to shout 'YOUR HIS LOBSTER!' at friends in real life. Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortunecookie)
    I relate friends to pretty much everything! I have been known to shout 'YOUR HIS LOBSTER!' at friends in real life. Oh dear.
    Haha. I dust the complete box-set. Friends is great.

ReputationRep:
    because its a lie

ReputationRep:
    lol my bf of 5 years broke up with me with that line "its not you, its me"

i flipped my f***** LID

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh_adele)
    Haha. I dust the complete box-set. Friends is great.
    Haha yeah! Gets a lot of use in the summer holidays.

ReputationRep:
    because it makes you feel even worse about getting dumped knowing that it wasnt your fault. and nothing you could have done could have made it better. as in the situation wasnt in your control. thats if the person who says it is telling the truth i think a lot of people use it as a cop out

ReputationRep:
    I'm with the OP on this, surely sometimes it is true.
    What else are you supposed to say if you are genuinely breaking up with someone for reasons that have nothing to do with them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paulapie)
    I mean, I understand why if someone only gave this as their reason of breaking up with you you'd be a bit insulted that they hadn't even really given a reason. Or if you'd been going out with the person for a lengthy amount of time, fair enough it doesn't seem like a great explanation.
    But when the person doing the breaking up says anything along the lines of "I don't want you to think it's anything you did, it's just I don't want to be in a relationship" why is that taken as such a "omg did you just say it's not you it's me?!"
    Because, more often than not, when a man says something along the lines of "it's not you, it's me", he actually means the exact oposite. He only uses that phrase to spare the woman's feelings and prevent her from having a mental breakdown right in front of him, something which he wouldn't know how to "handle".
    Plus, it's a cliche.

ReputationRep:
    Well this reminds me of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8TnhNxKNlU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColdVein)
    I'm with the OP on this, surely sometimes it is true.
    What else are you supposed to say if you are genuinely breaking up with someone for reasons that have nothing to do with them?
    Thank you!!!!

I mean, like has been repeated over and over here, it Can be used just as an excuse. But if it genuinely is nothing they did, what do you say?!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.