Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've had my mind up that it's law that I definitely want to study at degree level for a couple of years now. I've just finished year 12 and get my results in August... which is the same as anyone else but meh :yes:

At GCSE I had 3A*'s in English Language, History and RE, 3A's in Maths, Literature and Media, 2B's in Science and French and 2C's in Additional Science and Art. I never understood science as you might be able to tell from that!

At AS level I do Maths, English lit and History [plus the Welsh baccalaureate, which is worth A at A level when done]. I'd stake my house that I got an A in English, with History and Maths it's a bit 50/50 because I had a bad morning when I sat S1. I'm going to predict myself ABB - could be better but I'll just say that for the sake of argument. I plan to take AS further maths next year - any idea what law interviewers would think of this decision?

I plan to do some work experience this summer (there's like 7 law practitioners in my nearest town alone) and work in charity shops. When interviewed, I'm pretty good and if I'm under pressure.. it sort of brings out the best in me.

I tried the LNAT practice tests - I was half asleep doing them and of the three I did, I had 13, 14 and 17 out of 30. Not the best but when it comes to the time, I'll be confident, but I heard Oxford only considers the top 18% of scores or something - this true?

Overall, from the description I've given above, do you believe that I have a decent or moderate hope of making a successful application to this university?

edit: could a gap year benefit me in the fact that I'd have my A level grades before I apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by db5vry7772ccz28)
    At GCSE I had 3A*'s in English Language, History and RE, 3A's in Maths, Literature and Media, 2B's in Science and French and 2C's in Additional Science and Art. I never understood science as you might be able to tell from that!
    Those grades are good enough.

At AS level I do Maths, English lit and History [plus the Welsh baccalaureate, which is worth A at A level when done]. I'd stake my house that I got an A in English, with History and Maths it's a bit 50/50 because I had a bad morning when I sat S1. I'm going to predict myself ABB - could be better but I'll just say that for the sake of argument. I plan to take AS further maths next year - any idea what law interviewers would think of this decision?
    Good selection of subjects. I'm not sure AS further maths will help unless you need a fourth AS level.

I plan to do some work experience this summer (there's like 7 law practitioners in my nearest town alone) and work in charity shops.
    Charity work won't matter. What else are you doing to demonstrate an interest in law?

I tried the LNAT practice tests - I was half asleep doing them and of the three I did, I had 13, 14 and 17 out of 30.
    Well that was silly.

I heard Oxford only considers the top 18% of scores or something - this true?
    I'm not sure what you mean by this, but it's probably not true.

Overall, from the description I've given above, do you believe that I have a decent or moderate hope of making a successful application to this university?
    If you apply, you might get in. If you think you can get AAA at A-level, you might as well apply, if you want to go to Oxford. If you don't, there's probably little point in applying.

edit: could a gap year benefit me in the fact that I'd have my A level grades before I apply?
    I don't think it would help much.

ReputationRep:
    Do you go to a really bad school or have some kind of mitigating circumstances? If not then not much point. Your GCSEs could be made up for if they were all a horrible mistake, but if you're expecting ABB at AS level too and don't have any excuse then I'd say there's no point at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    Do you go to a really bad school or have some kind of mitigating circumstances? If not then not much point. Your GCSEs could be made up for if they were all a horrible mistake, but if you're expecting ABB at AS level too and don't have any excuse then I'd say there's no point at all.
    Sorry OP for hijacking your thread.. :p:

I got 2 As 5 Bs and 4 Cs at GCSE.
    I tried quite hard with my ASs, and the exams went really well. I'm trying not to get my hopes too high, but If, eg. I got ABB or higher, would it be reasonable for me to consider applying for law at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hafsaay)

I tried quite hard with my ASs, and the exams went really well. I'm trying not to get my hopes too high, but If, eg. I got ABB or higher, would it be reasonable for me to consider applying for law at uni?
    This is a thread about Oxbridge. I have no idea about the kinds of standards expected at other universities for law.

Oxbridge, as I said, if you don't have a good reason for poor grades like that then not really, but Oxbridge =/= all universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teebs)
    This is a thread about Oxbridge. I have no idea about the kinds of standards expected at other universities for law.

Oxbridge, as I said, if you don't have a good reason for poor grades like that then not really, but Oxbridge =/= all universities.
    Oh sorry! I didn't notice that..:ninja:

My bad..

ReputationRep:
    i got 3 A's 9 B's are those grades to low to consider doing politics at Oxford

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hafsaay)

Yes, it would be reasonable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al101)
    You are aware that you can only do Politics as either part of History and Politics or PPE, right?

As for the grades, you have significantly below average GCSEs, the average is 6A*s, and PPE and History and Politics are competitive (5/6 applicants to a place). It's worth a shot, but I'd wonder about your GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    I'd ultimately advise you to wait for your AS results and then decide. I really don't think your GCSE grades are any problem, you do hear of people getting amazingly wonderful straight A* here but then plenty of my friends got some Bs and Cs. But the AS results are probably more important, if you look at the statistics then Oxford mostly make offers of AAA and only very occassionally AAB at A Level, and whilst ABB at AS doesnt mean you'll get the same grades a year later, you should bear in mind that if you did then statistically you'd be unlikely to get an offer.

In terms of the LNAT, it does apparently get used in narrowing down the applicants, but it's more like top 50% from what one admissions guy told me. But ultimately it's not the main thing Oxford go on, that will always be the interview, according to my law tutors. Since you'd have to do it to get into several unis for law you might as well not let it stop you.

So I'd ultimately wait for AS. You could always just go for it anyway, you do get 5 options and I'm sure you'll get in somewhere good with those grades. And that's the main point, even if you decide not to go for Oxford, then so dont be put off applying to other good unis. You have GCSEs to be proud of and your AS/A Levels look to be very good so I'd definitely aim high.

Any more questions re law at Oxford/applying for law generally do PM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al101)
    I don't think it would be worth turning down a place at LSE to try for Oxford, to be honest, unless you did very well at A2 (or equivalent).

ReputationRep:
    Apply To Cambridge They Dont Use The Lnat Cause It Is Rediculous

Bear in mind Oxford is statistically FAR LESS COMPETATIVE and THEREFORE EASIER TO GET INTO than say LSE Kings & UCL.

-----------------Places-----------Applicants--------Applicants Per Place
    Oxford ------------350-------------1145------------------3
    LSE---------------147-------------3719------------------25
    UCL --------------150--------------2650-----------------18
    Kings--------------300-------------2450------------------8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krazykeys)
    Apply To Cambridge They Dont Use The Lnat Cause It Is Rediculous

Bear in mind Oxford is statistically FAR LESS COMPETATIVE and THEREFORE EASIER TO GET INTO than say LSE Kings & UCL.

-----------------Places-----------Applicants--------Applicants Per Place
    Oxford ------------350-------------1145------------------3
    LSE---------------147-------------3719------------------25
    UCL --------------150--------------2650-----------------18
    Kings--------------300-------------2450------------------8
    Idiot, you wouldn't get into either Oxford or Cambridge.

Candidates to both self selet so you get a lot less applicants per place

also applicants are divided by two because you can only apply to oxford OR cambridge. You can apply to Ox + UCL or Cam + UCL but not Ox + Cam so I wonder who's going to have more applicants per place?

Also, you can't spell.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Rai]Idiot, you wouldn't get into either Oxford or Cambridge.[QUOTE=Rai]
    Actually I think you will find I have an offer for Law in 2010 with an academic scholarship. (The interviews were in september before you bleat on about how no one has one yet). University college if you are interested.

The figure provided in the table is for OXFORD UNIVERSITY. ONLY. Not "Oxbridge". There are clearly a lot less applicants per place. No argument.
    I can't possibly see how you can disagree. Feel free to look the statistics up on the UCAS statistical enquiry tool.

Can I advise that perhaps if you are going into a law degree you construct more cogent and thought out arguments.

also applicants are divided by two because you can only apply to oxford OR cambridge. You can apply to Ox + UCL or Cam + UCL but not Ox + Cam so I wonder who's going to have more applicants per place?

Also, you can't spell.
    Clearly you can't either.

ReputationRep:
    The figure provided in the table is for OXFORD UNIVERSITY. ONLY. Not "Oxbridge". There are clearly a lot less applicants per place. No argument.
    I can't possibly see how you can disagree. Feel free to look the statistics up on the UCAS statistical enquiry tool.
    :rolleyes: He's not disagreeing with you about the actual numbers. He's just pointing out that the reason Oxford gets fewer applications is that 1. People go ooo Oxford it's scary, and nobody with less than AAA predictions applies and that 2. 50% of the people who might apply to Oxford will apply to Cambridge instead. So only half of the people with the grades, background and incentive will apply there. Whereas everybody with the grades, background and incentive and plenty without will apply to UCL.

Now we've got that sorted, how about you both shut up and stop digging up a 5 month old thread where the OP will already have decided whether to apply or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rai)
    Idiot, you wouldn't get into either Oxford or Cambridge.

Also, you can't spell.
    OMG you only did 3 A Levels and got into Law at Chrsitchurch! You must be an amazing student.

ReputationRep:
    OMG you only did 3 A Levels and got into Law at Chrsitchurch! You must be an amazing student.
    Haha, thanks.

I don't think so, but thank you for the compliment.
    I'm honored you think that way... Univ is as good!

ReputationRep:
    You do realise most people only do 3 A Levels?

Or am I missing something here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shewasdeleted)

You're not missing anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shewasdeleted)

The Law tutor at Merton said to me they don't generaly like people who just do 3 A Levels. TBH i cant imagine it matters, I dont think anyone gets in based on their A Levels, its more interviews and their tests.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.