Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krazykeys)
    The Law tutor at Merton said to me they don't generaly like people who just do 3 A Levels. TBH i cant imagine it matters, I dont think anyone gets in based on their A Levels, its more interviews and their tests.
    May I ask, why LSE over Oxford (especially with scholarship??????)

LSE is great but mostly for postgrad stuff, as an undergrad school it's lacklustre (THIS IS ALL MY OPINION THOUGH) and the social life is pretty poor, according to my friends that went there. It's full mostly of chinese and indian nerds that do very little outside of their rooms and lecture theatres and are just chasing the millionaire dream (again, just my opinion). When I went on the open day I asked them what they do for fun and very little interested me :/.

Oxford is balanced and has an amazing social community WITH, arguably, a much more interesting and philosophy-based course. But hey, that's just me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krazykeys)
    The Law tutor at Merton said to me they don't generaly like people who just do 3 A Levels. TBH i cant imagine it matters, I dont think anyone gets in based on their A Levels, its more interviews and their tests.
    How odd, especially considering the standard offer is AAA. And how it is never specified that you should take more than 3.
    I received an offer for Law and I'm only doing 3 subjects, and so was pretty much everyone else there. My friend does 5 A Levels (1 taken early) and got a rejection for Law. So yeah I don't think its of particular achievement to get an offer with only 3 A Levels as that is the standard and most people with offers will only have 3!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rai)

LSE is great but mostly for postgrad stuff, as an undergrad school it's lacklustre (THIS IS ALL MY OPINION THOUGH) and the social life is pretty poor, according to my friends that went there. It's full mostly of chinese and indian nerds that do very little outside of their rooms and lecture theatres and are just chasing the millionaire dream (again, just my opinion). When I went on the open day I asked them what they do for fun and very little interested me :/.

Oxford is balanced and has an amazing social community WITH, arguably, a much more interesting and philosophy-based course. But hey, that's just me.
    I have considered it a lot, trust me, but one thing is that the scholarship is an organ scholarship (which is lots of extra work in itself) and I don't think I want to do both, and if they offer you a scholarhip you arent allowed to turn it down and go without one. Basically Im goin with a schoalrhip or not at all.

The Law tutor at Univ said to me (he incidentaly did masters at LSe and PHD at Oxford) that he felt in recent years the Law students had become "a lot more balanced" which I though was a good thing, then he said "well no not really, I used to enjoy teaching idealistic young people, and recently the students have become so dull, and use phrases like "on the other hand" and "however" too much and don't have any of their own views, or rather no extreme view points. Its frowned upon to be on "some sort of moral crusade" which I used to enjoy about students say in the 1990's.

-Not to say your year will be the same of course.

"At LSE you will never meet more arrogant, self assured people. However they are passionate about things and all of them are very very vocal and they really care about other things rather than just getting a 1st."

Don't get me wrong, like im not one of these "oh how funny im rejecting oxford cause they dont deserve me" its not like that at all. Besides Id still like to go, the tutor explained that "An Undergraduate degree from LSE in law with the BCL at Oxford would look better than doing both at oxford anyway".

So there you have it. I think I like the idea of being in central london as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rai)

ALSO the Bachelor of Civil Laws degree at postgrad is like the best most world renowed law degree (offically) and id like to do that, but aparently its better to a have a contrasting institution at Undergrad.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.