Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been having a terrible time trying to find a college/university swimming pool that students can use for little or no cost (I'll be at Trinity). I think I found one when I was searching the web a couple months ago, but I lost it. I'd be interested in joining a team, but I'm really just looking for a pool to do some laps in. Can anyone offer some help?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps try emailing someone at http://www.cuswpc.org/
    I think there are two pools in Cambridge (Parkside and the Leyes school one) but I have no idea about costs.

ReputationRep:
    The Parkside one is a good pool: http://www.cambridge.gov.uk/ccm/cont...kside-pools.en
    Pricewise, you pay £7 a year for a student pass, which gives you a price of £2.40 per swim or £2.00 for 10 passes. You can also get a month for £26.00. (These were what I paid last year)
    Without the student card you'd be paying £3.60 per swim.
    The pool is a 5-10 minute walk from the centre, so is convenient, whereas Leys is further away.
    CUSWPC use Parkside btw.

ReputationRep:
    Unless the university finally get around to building the long-awaited university sports centre (which is scheduled to be built as soon as they've got around to setting up the Porcine Aviation Club), the only free pool I know of is at Girton College. I'm not sure if they allow non-Girton people to use it though.

Kelsey Kerridge Sports Centre has a pool but it'll cost money. And there are a couple of outdoor pools in summer; one on Jesus Green and a couple of colleges have them.

ReputationRep:
    Parkside Pools is the one in Kelsey Kerridge, so it's pretty much the only choice apart from Leys.

ReputationRep:
    I know several clubs use the Leys such as lifesaving and a few others. Apart from that there's Parkside, which is your standard municipal swimming pool and Girton butyou'll have to know someone there since you need your card to get in. Emma definitely has an outdoor pool though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Αξιολογος)
    I know several clubs use the Leys such as lifesaving and a few others. Apart from that there's Parkside, which is your standard municipal swimming pool and Girton butyou'll have to know someone there since you need your card to get in. Emma definitely has an outdoor pool though.
    I'm pretty sure you can sign for a spare card at the porters' lodge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arrogant Git)
    I'm pretty sure you can sign for a spare card at the porters' lodge.
    True, but you'd still need to get a Girton card surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    Girton pool looks really good. Any idea how easy it is for students from other colleges to get hold of the guest cards it talks about?
    I doubt they have reached the quota of non-members. Few Girton students use it, never mind people from other colleges. So it should be a formality.

ReputationRep:
    When I visited Christs college this summer (I'm hoping to apply for 2010 entry) the student that showed me round said they would be fixing up the pool there

ReputationRep:
    Yes, there is now an outdoor unheated pool there.......but unfortuneatley it is only available for staff and students of the college to use!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.