Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does hair colour play a part in what you wear? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this is a dumb question or not, but does your hair colour play a role in deciding what clothes to wear? Do you go for specific shapes of dresses or neck lines etc if you hair is short or long? How about colour? Do you like to contrast your clothes with your hair? for example, long black hair = maybe a white plunging dress/top? or blonde on black?

I have long dark hair, almost black. What type of clothes (dresses especially) should I look at? I want to wear something to make my hair stand out.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to make your dark hair stand out then wear light colours like white.
    Tbh the only colour hair that would necessitate wardrobe planning is red/ginger hair. Any other colour hair and you can wear pretty much anything.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah what he said. Unfortunately. *sigh*

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I find hair colour can come into clothes choices. My hair is a light brownish/reddish/blondish colour (it changes colour so frequently I can't tell), I generally like wearing greys, blues, whites and blacks because they suit my hair colour and skin tone the most. I look ludicrous in red, my hair colour just doesn't look right with it, I think red is more suited to people with really dark hair. Similarly, blonde haired people often look a bit odd in blacks and browns (though sometimes it does look fab, depending on the choice of clothing and skin tone) and I think people with black hair contrast too much with white for it to look right.

Personally, I'd go for nice, dark colours, you'd smoulder, with smokey eyes. Or red, I love people with black hair in red.

ReputationRep:
    When my hair's brown I can wear any colours except for red, yellow and orange (they make me look, respectively: tomato-like, ill and like a smackhead).
    When my hair's black I can wear any colours except yellow and orange. Black is a little tricky but generally alright.
    When my hair's red, again, anything except yellow and orange.
    When my hair's blue, that's a lot harder to dress with so I usually play safe and stick with black and brights. The same applies to purple.

I think about this stuff far too much.

ReputationRep:
    personally, yes. i wouldn't wear low v-necks if my hair wasn't long or if i wore it up, i'd feel too exposed and the combination of a v-neck and long hair makes my neck look really long
    my hair is blondey and i wear a lot of blue/navy and cool tones if i wear colours, i think it goes well. i wouldn't be sure what goes with really dark hair, but google it? i'd probably stay away from full black outfits though, and brown.

skin tone is important to clothing colours as well, equally sooo.

ReputationRep:
    definitely, i have brown hair and i found when i dyed my hair blonde last summer it didn't look right with the majority of clothes in my wardrobe and when picking out the usual coloured clothes on the high street they just didn't look so good, needless to say i dyed it back brown, no way i was splurging on a whole new wardrobe lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.