Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Three stages; "drive", "attraction" and "attachment"

Drive = primary sex hormones
    Attraction = serotonin, dopamine, noradrenaline + related psychological effects
    Attachment = Oxytocin i.e "strangehold phase"

:love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrustratedHistorian)
    Love is. Only we know what is love when we are in love
    Love is only questioned when we are out of love.
    This sounds it's some kind of religion. Very bad :no:

ReputationRep:
    it's being with someone who you think is beautiful, being able to open up and say whatever you want with them, thinking about them all the time, not just wanting to have sex with them, but when you do have sex its the best thing ever, resulting in the two of you falling asleep in the comfort of each others arms..

ReputationRep:
    I found that before I found my significant other, whenever I had boyfriends it was just another part of teenage life: school, friends, parties, boyfriend. You can go through a lot of boyfriends this way. :p:

But now, with my now-fiancé, it's like it's no longer just another aspect of life, he's a person to experience life WITH, alongside me. (And there was never, ever any awkwardness, no need to flirt with eachother and try and win eachothers' affections - it just happens.)

You'll know when it happens.

ReputationRep:
    It's a conscious action that you do in your heart and with your whole self, and decide to keep on doing it every time, no matter what. And then you know it's right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.)
    In my opinion love is caring about someone so deeply that you want to spend every waking hour with them. That you couldnt imagine life without them, like it would tear a giant piece of you from your body if ever they were to leave your life. My idea of love is sitting next to someone by the ocean, hearing the sound of their heartbeat on yours, masked by the sounds of the sea and knowing in your heart that you never want that moment to end. Love is the sick feeling you get when you care about someone but they can't be there with you and you long for them to be in your arms, to feel their touch. to feel their love.

That's my idea of love, but what would i know. I've never been in love. I've had 12 girlfriends since i was 13 and not one of them i fell in love with. I guess you could say i'm still waiting.

Love though has different meanings to everyone. Teenagers for example have a different view of what 'love' is than say a middle aged person may have because when you are young, the 'love' seems more real and you fall in and out of it so quickly plus most teens will believe they are in 'love' after a few weeks or months of dating someone. It's probably one of the most hardest single words to define in the entire english dictionary.
    Do you not think that wanting to spend every waking hour with them is a bit much???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.)
    That's my idea of love, but what would i know. I've never been in love. I've had 12 girlfriends since i was 13 and not one of them i fell in love with. I guess you could say i'm still waiting.

12 gfs! im not surprised-you're v. good looking

can you LOVE someone you randomly met once,chatted a bit,and was with you like for 3 hours?
    then when you can't see him/talk to him,you can't stop thinking about him?and you want to meet him again,also u had a wet dream about him:/
    so weird...

pls help me I am so confused

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayz92)
    I know a lot of people will probably be thinking, 'You have to define love for yourself.' but it's really bothering me. How am I supposed to really know when the longing to be next to someone and thinking about them all day is really love? Or how can I know when it's not?
    Its when some one makes u feel that tingle in ur heart, like nobody else could

ReputationRep:
    I know a lot of people will probably be thinking, 'You have to define love for yourself.' but it's really bothering me. How am I supposed to really know when the longing to be next to someone and thinking about them all day is really love? Or how can I know when it's not?
    Nobody really knows...:shh:

ReputationRep:
    ahh i love scrubs.
    well, when you finally feel about a person, theway you feel about scrubs, you'll know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom.)
    In my opinion love is caring about someone so deeply that you want to spend every waking hour with them. That you couldnt imagine life without them, like it would tear a giant piece of you from your body if ever they were to leave your life. My idea of love is sitting next to someone by the ocean, hearing the sound of their heartbeat on yours, masked by the sounds of the sea and knowing in your heart that you never want that moment to end. Love is the sick feeling you get when you care about someone but they can't be there with you and you long for them to be in your arms, to feel their touch. to feel their love.
    That was beautiful man!:yep:

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mandark)
    well, when you finally feel about a person, theway you feel about scrubs, you'll know
    wow. that's something to think about.

ReputationRep:
    In short and easy languages, love is some addictive feeling like what you have after taking drugs. Consequently, let us define gay/straight in the following way: Suppose you are male. Then as far as you like a guy in an addictive manner, you are gay, even though you dont have sex in your mind. Indeed, it will eventually come.

ReputationRep:
    I once read that Love is societies accpeted form of madness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lollyage)
    That was beautiful man!:yep:

:rolleyes:
    thanks

Committment.

ReputationRep:
    Love is when you can sit across a room from the girl that your heart beats for and watch her on the happiest day of her life, getting married. It kills you inside but you know that she is happy and for that you so are you.
    It's been three weeks and it still hurts. Gutted!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    love is when you can't sleep because reailty is finally better than your dreams

it's when that person's happiness is more important than your own

i love love

LOVE, n.
    A temporary insanity curable by marriage or by removal of the patient from the influences under which he incurred the disorder. This disease, like caries and many other ailments, is prevalent only among civilized races living under artificial conditions; barbarous nations breathing pure air and eating simple food enjoy immunity from its ravages. It is sometimes fatal, but more frequently to the physician than to the patient.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 31, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.