Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If I go to uni in the UK, I will only be 17 during Freshers Week. My birthday is 30 September. Am I correct in assuming most Freshers Weeks are before this? This is such BS. Would there be any way around this predicament?

P.S. I know I am looking way, way into the future, but still. Its only a year away and I don't want to miss out on any of the fun!

ReputationRep:
    Is the problem that you will not be allowed to legally buy alcohol?

ReputationRep:
    I think I've only ever been ID'd in a student union bar once during the whole year. Even then, he didn't even look at it. I think he was just being forced to by management.

ReputationRep:
    The only ID I've ever been asked for in a student union is university ID.

My mate was 17 until December and though all the union events in the actual university buildings were fine, he couldn't go to club nights organised by the union in proper clubs.

ReputationRep:
    There's a way to get around this : apply for a uni that starts on/after your birthday!

ReputationRep:
    My freshers week doesnt start till 5th Oct...

And yeah, getting ID'd is rare in student extablishments.

ReputationRep:
    - Some Freshers weeks aren't til October
    - Some unis it really really won't be a problem
    - Others they have different coloured wrist bands for the ones they know are under 18, in which case there's no getting round it.

ReputationRep:
    A lot are the last week of September. I've seen universities give under 17's special ID cards, but im not sure exactly how this restricts you

ReputationRep:
    In Manchester they're really cracking down in IDing people, especially around the Fresher's Week period...so I guess it depends on the town/city. How can you have a birthday at the end of September and be in the school year you are in? Surely you'd be one of the oldest in your class, not one of the youngest? Or does your school system work differently?

ReputationRep:
    Borrow a friend's driving liscence that looks like you? SORTED.

ReputationRep:
    Our fresher's week (UCL) starts on 28 September. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouisianaPuuurchase)
    In Manchester they're really cracking down in IDing people, especially around the Fresher's Week period...so I guess it depends on the town/city. How can you have a birthday at the end of September and be in the school year you are in? Surely you'd be one of the oldest in your class, not one of the youngest? Or does your school system work differently?

I'm one of, if not the, youngest in my year. Back when I started school, my mom could have either chosen to put me in the year I am now or to wait one more year and then have me start school. I hope that makes sense. Another way of saying it would be that she could have made me start school so that I would graduate in 2010(as I will be doing) or she could have held me back one more year so that I would graduate in 2011. It was like a weird nuance in the law or something.

However, they changed the law since then so that (if I were to start school today) I would have to wait one more year and my mom would have had no option of whether to hold me back or to go ahead and put me in school. Supposedly, the parents were supposed to make the decision of whether or not to put their child in school based on their maturity level. I guess my mom thought I was mature. Though, I'm sure many other parents just put their children in school as early as possible in order to get rid of them for the day.

I know this post was kind of long and not-very-clear but I tried to explain it as best I could.

Oh, and to the person who asked if the problem was that I wouldn't be old enough to buy alcohol. Yes, that is the problem.

ReputationRep:
    you have the same birthday as my dad :P lol

ReputationRep:
    It will be a problem in some places and no, there is no way round it. At worst it will be a week of your life that you can't be hungover.. plenty more where that came from!! Freshers week at my uni is often on or around 30th so you might get some of the week (depending on where you go)

ReputationRep:
    just enjoy freshers week the year after instead
    its what i'm having to do, but i wasnt 18 till the january and i was the only one as i go to uni in england where everyone's already 18 when they start unlike scotland
    it sucked but i made up for it at the end of the year

ReputationRep:
    apply to a campus university, they all seem to start in october :p:
    I think there would be more of an issue with accommodation though and only being 17. Unless i'm mistaken, I don't think you're allowed to be 17 and living in halls

ReputationRep:
    How can students under the age of 18 have even made it to that school year so that they're entering uni not adults yet?

I thought if your birthday was in September surely you should have dropped a year.

Unless it's Scotland...

Edit: Oh wait, OP is American.

ReputationRep:
    You'll have problems if you go to proper nightclubs, but within Student Unions, you should be fine unless you look young.

ReputationRep:
    Fake ID. Worked for my friend.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.