Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimgan)
    ditto + amen! :woo:

as the cliche goes...work hard, play hard.

tho i do know of some MSc postgrads who tell me that they were so bogged down with studies/workload that they never saw anything beyond their faculty library, the labs & their rooms! :eek:
    Yea I can imagine that an MSc could be pretty packed. I'm hoping that the first year of my PhD might be a bit of a step down in work load from the last two years, I think I need a year where i'm not working my ass off till all hours constantly. A normal 9-5 workload for a year would be just perfect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    That's what most my first year PhD was like(until the first year report). Was wonderful having most evenings and weekends to myself again!
    Thank goodness, I was hoping it wasn't just wishful thinking!

ReputationRep:
    I hope we still party
    I'll start my masters when I'm barely 21 so I still feel like a 17 year-old at heart with a mission to behave like a prat!

ReputationRep:
    Haha im still like you, i hope people do g out, i know it isnt going to be the same as first year. As long as i can get out at least 1 a week i should be fine. I think that most graduates that dont get out usualyl are so bogged down with work, when they do have some free time they dont know what to do with themselves.

I think it all depends on what type of masters you do, some will depend on LOTS of research and reading, where as mine will be mostly pratical with the odd reading.

(by the way that is my opinion, i hope im not wrong though :-))

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ricky47m)
    Haha im still like you, i hope people do g out, i know it isnt going to be the same as first year. As long as i can get out at least 1 a week i should be fine. I think that most graduates that dont get out usualyl are so bogged down with work, when they do have some free time they dont know what to do with themselves.

I think it all depends on what type of masters you do, some will depend on LOTS of research and reading, where as mine will be mostly pratical with the odd reading.

(by the way that is my opinion, i hope im not wrong though :-))
    Going out at least once a week sounds like alot, there is no way I could have done that in my undergrad masters year! A good all night party every month is enough for me tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Would an MA in International Relations mean I would be 'bogged down' for the duration?

ReputationRep:
    I sure hope that postgrads still party. I've been away from education for a few years, living a rather tame life in a city without many friends, so I'm ready to go out drinking and clubbing again! Even if it's only once or twice a week. I understand postgrads have more work than undergrads but surely there's time for some fun?!

Is there anything I can do to maximise my chances of meeting like-minded people? I'm in postgrad halls so I hope that's a start.

Oh, and I'm going to Sheffield, if that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheQueenOfComputerScience)
    I'm going to be partying and am CS postgrad :yes:.
    Ditto

Expecting to be pretty swamped by the workload though, might not see the inside of the pub too often...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm just finishing my postgrad course and I didn't party nearly as much as my undergrad! Mostly because it was such a tiny group, there were only four of us full time and another two part time students.

Also, one of the full time students hated one of the part time students so there wasn't any chance of getting everyone out together :rolleyes:

A friend of mine from my undergrad degree has promised when I graduate she'll take me out partying to celebrate... except if I keep arseing about on here I will never finish my dissertation and NEVER GRADUATE! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    I do, and I'm almost 26 but I can't but ******* doing it at my uni, so I interstate and party hard with my cousins and friends from my undergad.

I know, it's a bit of a sin. Because I SHOULD be making new friends here, but I can't really be bothered

xox

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuclear_pavlova)
    I hope we still party
    I'll start my masters when I'm barely 21 so I still feel like a 17 year-old at heart with a mission to behave like a prat!
    Just like me !

I'm 22, but feel like 17-18 and I'm going to party and going to visit as much freshers events as I can .

ReputationRep:
    I'm 23, and i'll be startying my MSc now.. though it will be harder then my BSc, i will definitly party

Work hard and play hard, yes please!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My undergrad end of year parties: start drinking at 12 when the lecture finished, move from the pub to the union, then the union to someone house and keep drinking until sometime the following day.

My postgrad end of year 'party': Two pints in the pub at 6pm, and only one other person was drinking cos everyone else was driving. I was home by 9pm. = sucks.

ReputationRep:
    I never was a huge drinker/partier, but I do enjoy going out (i.e. to party/dance/etc) every once in a while. I'm quite fond of getting together often to hang out (maybe at a pub) with friends and play around and have fun.

ReputationRep:
    Im 27, hope to be a postgrad and am DEFINITELY gonna party! at least 2-3 times a week I'd say - if I can afford it of course.

ReputationRep:
    It really is about who you make friends with. The majority of post grads are quite tame and boring. But there's a few that wanna have it large, as it were. Make friends with those people!

ReputationRep:
    Seems like there are a lot of *fresher* postgraduates here. So, I suppose it will be interesting to read this thread in a few months, when we all start to study and let's see if we gonna party as much we wanna now .

ReputationRep:
    Ha, I partied more in this postgrad year than I did in third year undergrad! I actually think I had a fresher mindset this year... But after so many years of uni, you learn to juggle work around social life etc. I suppose it depends on your friends too; the postgrad community here is pretty good, new halls and stuff. The parties here are amaazing, and lots of postgrads do the same student nights the undergrads do. Actually, I would say this year has been my best at uni, mainly due to the social life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuppenny)
    My undergrad end of year parties: start drinking at 12 when the lecture finished, move from the pub to the union, then the union to someone house and keep drinking until sometime the following day.
    Gutted. We still do that at postgrad... for end of term, end of essays, end of lectures...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Bexxxx)
    Gutted. We still do that at postgrad... for end of term, end of essays, end of lectures...
    Damn you! Everyone except one guy commuted on my MA, so it was only me and this other guy that could drink if we went out. Totally sucked.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.