Turn on thread page Beta

Do postgraduates still party...!?! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I hope so! Starting my postgrad this sept & hoping to have a decent social side to it as well. Nothing completely insane but some good nights out every so often would be a bonus

ReputationRep:
    The fact that so many of us in this thread agree on this (hoping to have a decent social side) suggests that we can afford to be optimistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crafty bison)
    The fact that so many of us in this thread agree on this (hoping to have a decent social side) suggests that we can afford to be optimistic.
    Definitely. It seems like, the opportunities are there for the taking... if you still want that thing as an oldie student!

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm hopefully doing Undergrad away from London to escape the family, but hopefully will do my MSc in London. Do Postgrads join Freshers week and get in to those parties, I heard at LSE they do but I think thats because there are more PostGrads then Undergrads?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzab)
    Well, I'm hopefully doing Undergrad away from London to escape the family, but hopefully will do my MSc in London. Do Postgrads join Freshers week and get in to those parties, I heard at LSE they do but I think thats because there are more PostGrads then Undergrads?
    Not sure about LSE, but I and my course at the University of Edinburgh are going to visit the Freshers Week events. So, it all depends on the people, some are fancy of going out, some are not. Besides, since it's just the Freshers Week, I think, postgrads can afford going out, because the studies haven't started yets, so they still have nothing to do.

ReputationRep:
    well it looks like i may not get much chance to enjoy Freshers Week on my end.

my timetable for the week includes 3 days for a programming crash course...but at least there's a party scheduled in after the course on 1 of the days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzab)
    It really depends on the people. No idea about LSE, but when I was an undergrad at Manchester none of my friends in 2nd or 3rd year went to clubs during freshers week. For the entire week there were MASSIVE queues for the popular clubs and everywhere was rammed. It's fun for the first year, but after that it's pretty appealing to have house parties and go to the pub for that week and venture into clubs when they're not quite so busy a few weeks later. I'm sure it's exactly the same for postgrads.

(Original post by kimgan)
    well it looks like i may not get much chance to enjoy Freshers Week on my end.

my timetable for the week includes 3 days for a programming crash course...but at least there's a party scheduled in after the course on 1 of the days.
    Out of all the postgrads at Bristol I know, my course is the only one to get a freshers week! Luckily I have some undergrad friends in Bristol or I'd have a week full of daytime TV.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be in a much better position to party at postgrad than I have been at undergrad. The most work intensive of the courses I'm applying for consists of half the workload of my finals and a third of the workload I had in first year :dry: Bring on the holiday :p:

ReputationRep:
    Am I intelligent enough? Well I got on the course, so I guess yeah.

How will I live on 23p a day...? I'm planning on £60- £70 :p:

What am I going to do with my life? Go on to do a PhD and try to stay a student for as long as possible. Oh, and win a Nobel Prize along the way.

Why can't I just get a job like normal people? Because I'm a delicate little flower to fragile for the real world.

As for partying, I'll probably be really into it for the first couple of weeks. Talking to random people and going to every party. But as soon as the work starts piling up (and there's going to be a lot of work) and I make some friends, I know I'll stop bothering.

I'm not really a fan of hangovers anyway, so will probably spend most of my leisure time going for coffee/meals/gigs/cinema. I'll be near london so I'll probably have a big night out there once a month, as opposed to going out every other night in my Uni town.

Post-grads do like party, but are probably just more selective.

ReputationRep:
    Thought it might be worth bringing this thread alive again to find out how you guys have found balancing a social life and an education life?

ReputationRep:
    How much partying would students do at undergrad level if
    - they had to pay their fees (couldn't apply for a loan to pay the fees)
    - they didn't receive any living cost loan
    - they had a workload which was probably around double what they are used to

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.