http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yx9NRX37SM

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX3S1f_7dI4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caaakeeey)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
    A work of more intellectual daring I have never seen before in my lifetime. Dramatically changed my perception of the world and shaken my faith in our so-called 'leaders'.

ReputationRep:
    It was a collaboration between Osama Bin Laden, Rupert Murdoch, George Bush and Rick Astley.

ReputationRep:
    Watch the films Zeitgeist 1 and 2... Theres info there any 9/11 and other interesting topics.

ReputationRep:
    I'd sooner believe that 9/11 was perpetrated by youtube, google and Howard from the Halifax adverts than believe in the Zeitgeist films given how many errors I recorded in the opening section on religion (specifically, the comparisons with Mithra).

ReputationRep:
    I heard that Harry Potter did it??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melancholy)
    I'd sooner believe that 9/11 was perpetrated by youtube, google and Howard from the Halifax adverts than believe in the Zeitgeist films given how many errors I recorded in the opening section on religion (specifically, the comparisons with Mithra).
    There are no errors in Zeitgeist concerning religion, seeing as religion's full of **** and imaginary.

ReputationRep:
    Please point out those errors...the comparisons with the cult of Mithra/Mithras.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScotlandStandUp)
    There are no errors in Zeitgeist concerning religion, seeing as religion's full of **** and imaginary.
    Can you clarify precisely how this argument is supposed to work?

I'm an atheist, but that isn't a barrier to me pointing out that their statements are inaccurate. Religion may be full of *star star star* and "imaginary" (LOL), but that has no bearing on whether Zeitgeist has any errors in it concerning religion. If you presented a decent argument then your statements might carry some weight. At the moment, you don't strike me as an intellectual authority on the subject.

(Original post by Martyn*)
    Please point out those errors...the comparisons with the cult of Mithra/Mithras.
    Mithra wasn't born from a virgin in Iranian Mithraism, for one, contrary to what Zeitgeist states. Mithra was born from a rock. I know you like this nonsense, but I kindly request that you do your own research before blindly believing in these conspiracy theories.

ReputationRep:

Mithra wasn't born from a virgin in Iranian Mithraism, for one, contrary to what Zeitgeist states. Mithra was born from a rock. I know you like this nonsense, but I kindly request that you do your own research before blindly believing in these conspiracy theories.
    Actually the Persian Mithras was merged with the Roman Mithra. I think Marcus Aurelius was responsible for this. You may correct me on that point however.

As far as I know, the virgin mother appears in Mithraism where the son (Mithra or Mitra) is born from Anahita, a female goddess of Persian-Zoroastrian origin. If I remeber correctly, one inscription dated from 400BCE refers to her as "Immaculate Virgin mother...".

Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    And btw, comparisons between religions does not necessarily equate to a conspiracy but a perennial history; one definition being; a ubiquitous idea (i.e. that the sun dies and is reborn) shared and distributed throughout the waves of culture and descending from a common origin.

ReputationRep:
    havent any of you read a book?

das juden were behind it, to get more money from their oil supplies so they could take over the world banking system and then create Mecha-Israel

or it was much likely some pissed off arabs

ReputationRep:
    Actually the Persian Mithras was merged with the Roman Mithra. I think Marcus Aurelius was responsible for this. You may correct me on that point however.
    Irrelevant - and incorrect, incidently. They survived as independent religions for some time. One of which was codified after Christianity.

As far as I know, the virgin mother appears in Mithraism where the son (Mithra or Mitra) is born from Anahita, a female goddess of Persian-Zoroastrian origin. If I remeber correctly, one inscription dated from 400BCE refers to her as "Immaculate Virgin mother...".
    Any thoughts?
    He was born from a rock according to Mithraism. You can argue that the rock was virgin, though; but Zeitgeist doesn't give that impression.

And btw, comparisons between religions does not necessarily equate to a conspiracy but a perennial history; one definition being; a ubiquitous idea (i.e. that the sun dies and is reborn) shared and distributed throughout the waves of culture and descending from a common origin.
    Okay. I'll use the term "conspiracy" regardless since Zeigeist uses it as evidence of a conspiracy revolving around the 'Establishment'.

ReputationRep:
    I know of the birth of Mithra from the rock, but, the inscription of Anahita from the Zoroastrians of 400BC as a virgin mother and her association with Mithra as her son would not necessarily disprove the assertion from the makers of the Zeitgeist Movie that Mithra was born from a virgin. Indeed, it would prove that the association with Mithra and the virgin birth theme was believed in well before the advent of Christianity in the opening years of the first century.

Of course, the virgin-birth theme is extremely ancient coming from the cultures of Sumeria and Egypt, and the Semitic culture of Babylonia where Ishtar is represented as a virgin in the likeness of Isis, the queen of the heavens... according to Egyptian religion.

ReputationRep:
    And of course, if you've read Ulansey's book The Origins of the Mithraic Mysteries you might well appreciate the many parallels between Christianity and the Mithraic cult. In fact, Ulansey makes the case that the Mithra cult at the time began in Cilicia at Tarsus, the birth/home town of the apostle Paul.

Remember: Saulius (or Saul of Tarsus) was, according to accounts, a steward of the Mysteries.

ReputationRep:
    I know of the birth of Mithra from the rock, but, the inscription of Anahita from the Zoroastrians of 400BC as a virgin mother and her association with Mithra as her son would not necessarily disprove the assertion from the makers of the Zeitgeist Movie that Mithra was born from a virgin.
    I think it does in the most meaningful of sense. It is incredibly disingenuous not to mention this in its analysis - they instead mention the inaccurate judgement that Mithra was born from a virgin. That was what it said. They were wrong. As I said. That's one example.

Indeed, it would prove that the association with Mithra and the virgin birth theme was believed in well before the advent of Christianity in the opening years of the first century.
    No it doesn't. You'd have to actually demonstrate that people at the time (c. 3 AD) acknowledged the association.

And of course, if you've read Ulansey's book The Origins of the Mithraic Mysteries you might well appreciate the many parallels between Christianity and the Mithraic cult. In fact, Ulansey makes the case that the Mithra cult at the time began in Cilicia at Tarsus, the birth/home town of the apostle Paul.
    Remember: Saulius (or Saul of Tarsus) was, according to accounts, a steward of the Mysteries.
    The assertions have been challenged before, not least in this post and in the subsequent posts in the thread (I've also discussed this with you before).

ReputationRep:
    Ok i confess it was me!

ReputationRep:
    the illuminati

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.