Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What other possible reasons for never having girlfriend? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    TBH this is utter rubbish.

The best relationships are built on a solid friend foundation.
    A guy can't be friend a girl then go out with her. As girls (stereotypically) is very emotionally controlled and wouldn't want to loose the friend. But the girl can start flirting with a guy friend and maybe go out with the guy. If you follow? But anyway this guy's problem IS that he trys to become friends with them first. Which means you're seen as a friend and nothing more.

Just to prove that it'll work. Anonymous guy, when you next want to go out with a girl, try flirting with her and make your move in the space of a week.

Tim

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PBTimmeh)
    A guy can't be friend a girl then go out with her. As girls (stereotypically) is very emotionally controlled and wouldn't want to loose the friend. But the girl can start flirting with a guy friend and maybe go out with the guy. If you follow? But anyway this guy's problem IS that he trys to become friends with them first. Which means you're seen as a friend and nothing more.

Just to prove that it'll work. Anonymous guy, when you next want to go out with a girl, try flirting with her and make your move in the space of a week.

Tim
    This is a lie girls tell when they just aren't attracted to you.
    If you like someones personality and you are physically attracted to them why the hell would you not want to have a relationship with them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PBTimmeh)

Tim
    Sorry this might be abit off topic....

Question : If the guy is good looking and he chats to the girl originally as friends (to try and get to know her) and then starts seeking a relationship. Is he as likely to be trapped in the friendzone as a less good looking person?

*asuming personality etc.. are similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Some possible reasons:

1. You're an arrogant ****.
    2. You don't even seem to realise that you're an arrogant ****.
    3. You talk a lot of ****.
    what he said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegreatest)
    Sorry this might be abit off topic....

Question : If the guy is good looking and he chats to the girl originally as friends (to try and get to know her) and then starts seeking a relationship. Is he as likely to be trapped in the friendzone as a less good looking person?

*asuming personality etc.. are similar.
    Depends how long said person/you take. You should try and be a little flirty, but nothing compared to how you would act if you actually went fully at it. You have to try and keep a bit of tension between one another, otherwise you could fall into the trap. But to answer your question properly, general laid back chit chat for a little bit, then flirting (if you make the jump clear and quick enough) works fine.

I would try to avoid the friends zone or at least try and keep some sort of tension between the pair of you until you're sure you want something. If you're speaking to the girl every day then 2 weeks will be too long.

If you like someones personality and you are physically attracted to them why the hell would you not want to have a relationship with them?
    I agreed with the first bit. This quoted bit is sensible enough, but it doesn't really happen. The point to my post was. The guy will think the girl is physically attractive and is a really nice person. So he will try and make a move, which will cause the girl to lie because she doesn't look at him in the potential boyfriend mould, just the friend mould. So says no and doesn't want to change that. Now if the girl decides the guy is physically attracted and has a nice personality, that will normally work. As guys may think differently and not have the two set classes friends and 'potentials'. The friend trap is a deadly thing to get into and is really hard to get out off, near impossible. So guys DON'T get into it, by be-friending the girl first. A rule of thumb I learnt somewhere else was... if the girl speaks to you about relationships and what not, that normally means she just sees you as a friend and can trust you enough to speak to you about them. Although I read this from a trusted source, I personally think this could be a tactic used by girls to make you jealous. So telling the difference between the two is vital.

Anyway its late, I'm typing like **** now and my bed is calling.

ReputationRep:
    WTF you have at least ten new friends everyday?! How? If you have that many friends, well..they're not all real friends are they?
    Maybe the problem is that you're too friendly and spread yourself too thinly to form close relationships.

OP's first post could have been written by me, except for the fact I'm female.

There has been a lot of accusations of being "arrogant" thrown around, but I think his honesty about himself is just explaining why his lack of relationships seems so strange and hurtful. If he'd said "I'm ugly and weird and I've never been out with anyone" then there would at least seem to be a reason WHY he hadn't found a girlfriend. I'm in the same boat. I'm popular, attractive (or so people tell me), chatty and confident and yet I MUST be doing something wrong, because I too am 20 years old and have never been in love and never dated someone for more than a few weeks. It's difficult when you generally feel good about yourself but then you look around at all your mates who are in long term relationships and wonder "what do they have that I don't?"

OP I completely sympathize. Being single did not used to bother me at all, but now everyone is coupled up it is seriously starting to make me wonder. All I can say is what someone told me recently: there is no rhyme or reason to it. Some people are just lucky to have met the "right" person, and some people aren't. Some of the nicest, most attractive people I know are still single. I think it's more a waiting game than anything. I wish I could take my own advice more, as it's seriously starting to get me down, but I refuse to give up hope that it WILL happen. Just keep your fingers crossed eh?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 2, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.