Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How did you vote in student satisfaction surveys? Watch

• View Poll Results: How did you vote in the student satisfaction surveys?
    I rated my course honestly.
    29.63%
    I rated my course honestly, though the staff requested that we vote highly anyway.
    0%
    I rated dishonestly due to league tables; the staff did not ask us to.
    7.41%
    I rated dishonestly as my attendance was so poor I could not accurately evaluate the course quality.
    3.70%
    I rated dishonestly; the staff specifically implied/requested that we do.
    0%
    I am not yet at university but enjoy voting in polls. :p:
    55.56%
    I did not fill in the form.
    3.70%

ReputationRep:
    It's often suggested that the student satisfaction surveys are an unreliable indicator of course quality, as students are aware that they directly affect their university's position in most league tables. There have also allegedly been cases where universities have specifically asked their students to vote highly solely for this reason.

I've set up an anonymous poll to deem how widespread this problem is. Please do vote honestly, and feel free to discuss your opinions on these surveys and their reliability in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    I can honestly say we've never been asked to inflate scores for the sake of a league table. The department are more interested in making sure they improve themselves in order to make the course the best it possibly can be, and they can only do that through constructive criticism (if there is any).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0404343m)
    I can honestly say we've never been asked to inflate scores for the sake of a league table. The department are more interested in making sure they improve themselves in order to make the course the best it possibly can be, and they can only do that through constructive criticism (if there is any).
    Oh, same here. Not at any point implying Glasgow does it. The staff also leave the room when we fill in the forms.

I can't remember which university it was reported about before. I think it was one that came very low in the league tables.

ReputationRep:
    I answer honestly. Never have we ever been asked to do such a thing either. I more than happily slated one of my lecturers because she is absolutely rubbish and needs to be sacked! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foxo)
    Oh, same here. Not at any point implying Glasgow does it. The staff also leave the room when we fill in the forms.

I can't remember which university it was reported about before. I think it was one that came very low in the league tables.
    Kingston, I believe.

ReputationRep:
    I always answered mine honestly.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My university boycotted the survey when it was first done, I think. I'm not even sure if we even got any reminder emails about it, so I forgot all about it until the results were published. The following year the university changed its mind and sent out emails telling us we could vote if we liked because the survey was no longer Evil (we weren't encouraged to rate our courses highly, though). So I gave what I thought was a fair assessment of my course based on those questions, but I was very happy with my course anyway.:dontknow:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.