Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What a mess (yes, its to do with student finance) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Where do I start?

I completed my application at the end of May and sent all the evidence off. Then later on I got a form asking for my mum's detail so she filled that in and put it in the post. Well, a few weeks later I got an email telling me that I haven't sent enough evidence off but it doesn't tell me specifics and most people got the same email that I did. I still phoned up just to make sure, the lady on the end didn't have a clue and said that I should send off evidence for my mum's DWP and Child Benefit off in the post just incase. So, this I sent off, along with a letter telling them my situation and to contact me. I received no contact. Most of the correspondence has been through the site, not via email or telephone. The thing is that my laptop broke and I am now using my sister's very old and slow pc.

Two days ago I got an email telling me that I still hadn't sent off my evidence, the day after I got correspondence that my application in non means tested :mad:. Yesterday, I tried to phone them but I kept getting the same message with an automated voice which asked me to enter my ref number and PIN and kept saying that they didn't match (when they actually do :mad: ). So, I couldn't get in to talk to a real person. I eventually got my mum to phone because she was able to get through on the parent option and the guy on the end said that he couldn't do anything due to the computers being updated. :mad:

I really need that maintenance grant

ReputationRep:
    It takes the piss when you have to wait 15 minutes (yes thats how long I waited) just to speak to an advisor. It would be okay if the phonline was a freephone one but I dont think it is.

ReputationRep:
    theres a form that you need to fill in on the student finance website and send off for just the maintenance grant. However, theres about a 6 week delay on having the loan granted due to the volume of applications.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ance/DG_171624

ReputationRep:
    Really? I didn't know that. I had applied for the grant when I did the student finance application?

I thought it was getting into uni that was supposed to be the hard part...not the getting finance for it .

ReputationRep:
    I've found Student Finance to be OK. They messed up my application in my favour last year though.

I dropped out my course early this year and they want evidence I'm not employed. I don't really know what proof I can give them...

ReputationRep:
    Well, if they don't sort this out then I am going to miss out on £2, 906 that I am entitled to!

ReputationRep:
    how did you send the requested documents?? i sent them by special delivery they were there the next day. I cannot risk sending it by not using special delivery.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, I didn't use special delivery and now wish that I had.

ReputationRep:
    Really? I didn't know that. I had applied for the grant when I did the student finance application?

I thought it was getting into uni that was supposed to be the hard part...not the getting finance for it .
    You only need to apply separately for the maintenance grant if you didn't in your original application. But there would probably be no harm in filling the form out and sending it to them again, as i accidently filled the original form out wrong and didnt apply for the maintenance grant, and then i filled out that request form and it was granted 2 months later.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.