Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Was told by my uneducated mother that using a treadmill makes you shorter?Is there any truth in it?

Also, I jog bewteen 2-4 km a day on a treadmill on maximum speed- is this OTT? I weigh 10.5 stone and 5'10 and do it because I enjoy it. Its only about 11 mins a day (2km).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Halpert)
    Was told by my uneducated mother that using a treadmill makes you shorter?Is there any truth in it?

Also, I jog bewteen 2-4 km a day on a treadmill on maximum speed- is this OTT? I weigh 10.5 stone and 5'10 and do it because I enjoy it. Its only about 13 mins a day (2km).
    Don't know about shorter...

2kms takes you 13mins?

Sure you're on maximum speed?

Running is high impact, which I'm sure you're aware of. Less impact would be something like rowing, cycling or swimming.

ReputationRep:
    No and no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    Don't know about shorter...

2kms takes you 13mins?

Sure you're on maximum speed?

Running is high impact, which I'm sure you're aware of. Less impact would be something like rowing, cycling or swimming.
    That includes the gradual slow down when the stop button is pressed So its around 11.5 minutes to do the 2k.

As its high impact any physical problems I should worry about? I wear trains and 2 pairs of very wooly socks.

ReputationRep:
    Still 11.5minutes to do 2k is quite slow. Should be aiming for around 9/10 mins.

ReputationRep:
    Are we supposed to know what maximum speed is?

If you're worried about the dangers of running (physical activity that all animals take part in) then you should go live in a bubble.

ReputationRep:
    11 mins for 2k - christ

The treadmills at the gym near me on max speed is nearing sprint rather than jog. But wtf makes you shorter lol?

ReputationRep:
    A treadmill may lead to death if used incorrectly.

ReputationRep:
    That includes the gradual slow down when the stop button is pressed So its around 11.5 minutes to do the 2k.

As its high impact any physical problems I should worry about? I wear trains and 2 pairs of very wooly socks.
    It's more about the positioning of your foot and how you run rather than how many pairs of wooly socks you wear. I would expect extra pairs of socks to be detrimental if anything...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AustralAlien)
    Smartarse.

ReputationRep:
    How very true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonyMatt)
    Are we supposed to know what maximum speed is?

If you're worried about the dangers of running (physical activity that all animals take part in) then you should go live in a bubble.
    Just making sure the activity I have been doing every single day for 3 months wasn't doing any harm.

ReputationRep:
    My treadmill does my head in sometimes, it is extremely hard to go flat out.

ReputationRep:
    nice editing. Gone from 13mins for 2kms to 11mins for 2kms. Rapid progress, son. I can see a pattern emerging here...

any takers for 2kms in 9mins?

:confused:

2kms in 11mins is pretty slow tbh. It's far from being on a maximum speed setting.

ReputationRep:
    you could fall, get yourself trapped in the machine and die. It's probably happened. IIRC someone did get strangulated by some kind of dangly (sic?) HR monitor and died as a result. Death by treadmill, what a way to go out.

ReputationRep:
    nice editing. Gone from 13mins for 2kms to 11mins for 2kms. Rapid progress, son. I can see a pattern emerging here...

any takers for 2kms in 9mins?

:confused:

2kms in 11mins is pretty slow tbh. It's far from being on a maximum speed setting.
    Agreed. Many people can do 2 miles in 11 mins.

ReputationRep:
    you could fall, get yourself trapped in the machine and die. It's probably happened. IIRC someone did get strangulated by some kind of dangly (sic?) HR monitor and died as a result. Death by treadmill, what a way to go out.
    Probably. In fact, I'm appealing that all treadmill manufacturers put, in large type bold red, "Using this treadmill incorrectly may lead to death or serious injury" on them from now on.

ReputationRep:
    What amuses me is the writing on some of the equipment, the 'advice'..

usually something to the effect, "if out of breath please stop..."

ffs you're not doing it right if you find yourself out of breath, physically tired and a bit worse for wear....

ReputationRep:
    Mike Tyson's daughter.

ReputationRep:
    Emphasis added.

Don't listen to people who don't know anything about exercise. My mum thinks that I'm 'overdoing it' if I'm so knackered I can't walk after a bike ride and that there's something unhealthy about the amount I eat despite the fact that I'm well under 15% bodyfat.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.