The Student Room Group

Interview advice: What have you learned the hard way?

What did you learn from your first few interviews that you wished you'd know beforehand?

Moi:

1. Know exactly why you want the job and/or to work in that industry; have solid, articulate answers prepared (not just to the open-ended question 'why do you want this job?').

2. They wont always help you sell yourself to them. i.e. they might ask a simple question, you give a simple answer and then they'll ask no follow up questions and 'mark you down' for not demonstrating the skills they're after. This is bad interview technique on their part (they're selecting people who have best interview technique, not who'd be good at the job), but you're the one who needs it :rolleyes:

Reply 1
Even if you're nervous, act confident.
Even if you're willing to do a range of jobs, you should have one you appear particularly interested in.
Find out EXACTLY where the place is before you go, otherwise you'll end up late which is never a good thing.
Try and keep the interview lighthearted, but make sure you sell yourself and answer their questions properly.
Confidence is fine, until it appears as arrogance.
Reply 2
Always answer questions positively.

E.g. "What has been your toughest task?"

Don't just describe why it was hard, explain what you gained from the experience.
Reply 3
Confirm the location of the interview beforehand.

I got told the wrong location for my interview. I turned up on time only to be told I was at the wrong place and had to run across London like an animal to get to the right place. I was 20 minutes late and stressed out.
It was their fault for telling me the wrong location but I should have confirmed by phone or email before hand.
Reply 4
Essence™
Always answer questions positively.

E.g. "What has been your toughest task?"

Don't just describe why it was hard, explain what you gained from the experience.

Yeah, but they really should be asking the follow up question: "what did you learn from the experience?" or "how do you think that experience will help you in this role?" imho.

See '2.' in OP :rolleyes:
Reply 5
kat2pult
Even if you're nervous, act confident.
Confidence is fine, until it appears as arrogance.

This is so true but it really verbs my nouns knowing that because I get nervous in interviews they'll probably go with the confident, under-qualified idiot over me.

I suppose it's just a matter of practice; I'll have to do a few more interviews before getting a job than other people :rolleyes: c'est la vie.
don't be interviewed by a wednesday fan

Latest

Trending

Trending