Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you don't get into med school, how many times would you apply before giving up? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If you don't get into med school, how many times would you apply before giving up?

ReputationRep:
    I think I would be so depressed if I got rejected first time that I would have to kill myself...

ReputationRep:
    Once, if they don't want me so be it.

ReputationRep:
    I applied two years in a row, didn't get in, then got in at a completely seperate job interview at QM, when the interviewer was a senior member of the medical team. I rejected him of course, ******ds put me through enough already.

ReputationRep:
    This is little off-topic, but, how is it that some students with a lower academic profile (including interview) succeed in gaining a place ove higher academic achievers (including interview), surely an interview cant combat the academic profile of a potential candidate. Just curious.

ReputationRep:
    I think I would be so depressed if I got rejected first time that I would have to kill myself...
    :ditto: i think i would be to disappointed in myself i mean i worked so hard and it's all for nothing... i would probably be in the toilet slashing my arms :laugh: surely its not the end of the world many people get rejected thats 60% of all applicants.. on a serious note i couldnt show my face infront of my family

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by logic123)
    This is little off-topic, but, how is it that some students with a lower academic profile (including interview) succeed in gaining a place ove higher academic achievers (including interview), surely an interview cant combat the academic profile of a potential candidate. Just curious.
    Depends entirely on where you apply.

ReputationRep:

how can you have a lower academic profile in the interview??
    I have a low academic profile compared to most people on here.
    Not everyone with a huge intellect is suited to medicine.

Answer is i tried once. I wonder whats the most amount of times someone has tried to get into medicine??

ReputationRep:
    If you get rejected more than twice, I don't want you doing medicine. Only smart people should be doctors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayleeeWayleee)
    looool, i get you.
    :sad: :console:

I think after a few rejections, I'd take it as a hint/message from the man in the sky that medicine ain't for me...no matter how much I may want or believe it (is).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ogloom)
    If you get rejected more than twice, I don't want you doing medicine. Only smart people should be doctors.
    They may have been rejected for reasons other than their "smartness".

ReputationRep:
    just because you get rejected a few/couple of times, doesnt mean you arent 'smart'. there are plenty of reasons people get rejected.

personally - i would probably have tried twice, or 3 times if my gamsat was good enough on the 2nd attempt. im just really glad that i dont have to contemplate giving up applying now that i have a place. it must be so disheartening to have to give up on something that you work so hard to achieve.

ReputationRep:
    Difficult to say. It would depend entirely on family/housing circumstances and what not.

ReputationRep:
    Once. After that I don't really give a **** tbh. Wouldn't be depressed either. Those of you who can't take a hint after say, 2 cycles of rejection, really shouldn't be becoming doctors anyway.

Also, I know being totally rejected is depressing, but I'm sure that there are things that will depress you to a greater extent in the world of medicine, so if you get extremely depressed at not getting in, to the point that it effects your functioning, consider how you'd fare as a real doctor.

ReputationRep:
    depends really. :erm:

you could get a conditional offer and then miss the grades in which case i'd probably won't bother reapplying as most unis don't accept resit candidates anyway. I'd do another course and try for grad entry.

or

you could be rejected post/pre interview in which case (if that had happened to me) I'd give it one more shot. If not, then i would have tried for grad entry.

ReputationRep:
    If I get grades, I would try a second time before going for Neuroscience graduate entry I think.

ReputationRep:
    It happens. Happened to me and a few of my friends for 2 medical schools, we got straight rejections without interview. But we all ended up getting into a medical school anyway so its all good

I would have applied twice, along with my CAO form for universities in the Republic, and if I got rejected twice I would then pick a backup course :yes: Which of course would lead me to graduate entry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ogloom)
    :facepalm: Someone clearly doesn't know academics are not everything in medical admissions :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It could be lupus)
    :facepalm: Someone clearly doesn't know academics are not everything in medical admissions :rolleyes:

now now lets not be hasty... he does have a point

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexis 123)
    now now lets not be hasty... he does have a point
    Liking the Treebeard quote(I do hope you meant it to be a Treebeard quote from LOTR :p: )

He has a point for a few candidates, but for others there are people who are more than capable academically to get into medicine and become doctors yet don't. You just have to apply to the right places. His statement implied that being rejected twice meant you weren't academically strong enough, whereas anyone could tell you this is not the case :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.