Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Probably twice. Because if you get rejected first time round because of non-academic requirements, you can improve these significantly over a gap year.

But when you re-apply for the first time and then get rejected; what else is there you can do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It could be lupus)
    Liking the Treebeard quote(I do hope you meant it to be a Treebeard quote from LOTR :p: )

He has a point for a few candidates, but for others there are people who are more than capable academically to get into medicine and become doctors yet don't. You just have to apply to the right places. His statement implied that being rejected twice meant you weren't academically strong enough, whereas anyone could tell you this is not the case :yep:
    I think a better way to word what he said is, if you don't get into medical school on the first or second attempts, then there's a reason for it, be it academic, personality, extra-curricular or something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    I think a better way to word what he said is, if you don't get into medical school on the first or second attempts, then there's a reason for it, be it academic, personality, extra-curricular or something else.
    Much better put :yes:

ReputationRep:
    After two rejection cycles, I would get the hint that me and medicine are just not meant to be. But I wouldn't kill myself over it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I always said that i would apply for 3 cycles if i was rejected, then if i couldn't get in after 3 years and 12 med school applications i would call it a day. Luckily i got what i wanted first time out.

ReputationRep:
    probably twice...

ReputationRep:
    Twice, I said if I didn't get in this time I would move on to maths :p:

Then they let me in this time :p:

ReputationRep:
    three times I think, before moving on to another degree. but even then I'd try for grad entry. I can't currently see myself "giving up" without a damn good fight.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm giving myself two times. I'm a graduate entrant though. If I hadn't already got a first degree I might stretch to three attempts.

ReputationRep:
    Twice, but then I might consider applying for a final third time as a graduate if I didint feel my first degree was taking me anywhere... :yes:

If I didn't get in first time, I don't think I would have re-applied.

(Original post by It could be lupus)
    :facepalm: Someone clearly doesn't know academics are not everything in medical admissions :rolleyes:
    Someone clearly doesn't know sarcasm :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    Someone clearly doesn't know sarcasm :p:
    On this it is impossible to tell unless smilies are not used, which they weren't :sadnod: Also there are people on here that would probably wholehartedly agree with the statement made
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    My friend is going for med app #3 this September :tongue: I don't think she's going to give up...

ReputationRep:
    Medicine or DIE trying :yes:

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on how close each 'attempt' was - but i'd say that 2 times is just about all I could manage

After that i'd probably throw myself off some tall building/monument, or possibly follow the graduate route (no idea what my undergraduate course would be though)

ReputationRep:
    If you're not in it with two chances, then do something else! ur not the only one applying, half the country is and they're probably better placed than u are.

ReputationRep:
    The dedicated medic applies as many times as necessary to get in .

But if you've any talent or aptitude for it, I think you'd get in on the third try. You would have to be very unlucky not to get in by then (unless, of course, you're like a couple of people in my year, who should never have been given admittance onto the course).

However, this is another story! The key message is, keep trying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexis 123)
    now now lets not be hasty... he does have a point
    No let's be hasty, he knows jack **** about medical admissions

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who will probably be applying for the 4th time this year, but then she has only been applying in Ireland so far where the system is monumentally flawed; she is applying through UCAS this time as well and she better walk into four offers or I will lose faith in our system too.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.